“A good alternative to the other 'airport' hotels”

Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bickenhill
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed for one night prior to a trip to London. The double room was adequate in size although, as is quite common these days, there was only one armchair. Despite the cold/snowy weather, the room was very warm - in fact we had to turn down the heating. The bed itself was comfortable but we have to agree with previous reviewers that the pillows leave a lot to be desired.
We had time to utilise the leisure facilities; gym was a reasonable size (only one other person using it at the time and had a slection of the usual cardiovascular equiments, weights etc. Some of the kit is bit 'tired' and the rowers in particular would benefit from some maintenance. The pool area is pleasant and clean with a decent size jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. Access to these areas is free for hotel guests.
Dining in the Burgundy Restaurant was a bit 'hit & miss'! The staff were friendly, helpful and effecient so well done to all concerned. We both had the scallops for a starter - a reasonable portion, tasty and most importantly cooked properly.
My wife opted for the sirloin steak (medium/rare) - unfortunately it arrived 'well done' - the staff immediately offered to replace it. The replacement also came out 'well done'. By this stage my wife is getting extremely hungry and I've almost finished my meal! At this point the restaurant manager arrived and apologised and, without any prompting from us, stated there would be no charge for the largely un-eaten steak.
At the other end of the scale, I thought the Chicken Indonesian was superb - nicely balanced spicy flavour, generousportion of tender checken, mini poppadoms, raita dip etc.
Despite the issue with the steak, we would not hesitate to try the hotel and the restaurant again - in fact we are already going to book it for our trip in May. Every kitchen can make a mistake - the key is how they deal with that situation and the staff at the Arden handled it well.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dmg31
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

Dear dmg31,

Thank you for the review on the hotel, and I appreciate your comments, especially when it comes to our Leisure Club as this is an area that most reviewers don't touch on!

I take on board your comments with regards to the pillows in the room and the single armchair, which as you mentioned is very common place in the three star hotel market.

Although I am sorry to learn that you had issues with your steak in the main restaurant, I am pleased to learn that you were very happy with the handling of your complaint. Our new Head Chef joined us this week, and I will feedback to him on this. He is working hard to re-vitalise some of the menu options we have, and inspire our guests going forward - we will ensure this happens for both you and your wife on your next stay with us.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review us, and I look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future.

Michael Simpson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,667)

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights whilst working at the NEC

Good points are it's location, staff, parking, restaurant&bar.

Bad points are the rooms are tired and need refurbishing (very dated, and twin rooms are too small for that use.)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Scuffers

Dear Scuffers,

Thank you for taking the opportunity to visit the Arden Hotel, and for your kind comments with regards to my staff and the service you received.

Its great for me to get direct feedback from a guest at our hotel. If you get an opportunity please contact me on 01675-443221 to discuss further the issues with your room, as this will give me an opportunity to identify your room number and ensure any remedial action happens immediately so that other guests are not experiencing any quality issues with regards to their stay.

I hope to welcome you back soon, and look forward to hearing from you when you have an opportunity.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

My son and I stayed at the Arden for our visit to the Performance Motor Show at the NEC for one night and we wish it could have been longer. Michael and his team are brilliant, welcoming, friendly and of course professional. I really got the impression that nothing would have been too much trouble.
We found the room to be clean and comfortable the beds were perfect, there were spare blankets and pillows if required.
We didn't use the rstaurant, choosing to eat in the bar, the food was enjoyed by both of us the service was quick, even when they were busy.
The leisure facilities and staff were also brilliant.
I could go on and on, but think you get the idea, I would have no hesitation in staying at this hotel again.
Top marks again Michael and his team "keep up the good work".

Room Tip: Twin room facing NEC
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank spikel1007

Dear Spikel1007,

Thanks for your review! I am pleased we all met your expectations!

Great news with regards to the bar menu, we do give plentiful portions and get some great feedback with regards to the quality! Our new Head Chef is now on board, and cooking up a storm with our catering team, so hopefully next time you will get an opportunity to dine in our Burgundy Suite restaurant, and sample some of the great menu options we have available.

I look forward to welcoming you and your son back, when you are next in the area.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stay very often at the hotel on business and can't fault it. Really friendly staff on reception. stayed in a number of the rooms and they are all up to standard. Hotel has good leisure facilities. Great location for NEC and airport!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Stickman_blue

Dear Stickman_blue,

Thanks for your review, and I am pleased that you are consistently happy with your stays with us.

If there is any more we can do to assist, please let me or the front desk team know during your next stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back shortly.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed here for a business meeting at the Hotel in October 2012, which was well executed and well priced by the hotel.

Our nights sleep was good, if not excellent but the whole hotel felt a little bit, well, old. When there is not an event on at the O2 be warned this is a hotel absolutely crammed full of travelling salesmen types - not something I had experienced for a while but nothing untoward about it.

The meal we had the evening previously was exceedingly tasty, and I'd recommend the Mushroom Strogonoff to future residents of the hotel. Spot on.

Service was friendly throughout but nothing spectacular.

The hotel is a quick walk (if you know the back way!!, via the industrial estate, just keep walking until you see it! - it's alot longer following the road signs) from Birmingham International Station, and thus from Birmingham Airport and the NEC.

I would return on a work meeting visit due the location, well priced facilities and good food - but don't expect anything outstanding here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear PhilAndrews77,

Thank you for taking the time to review us at the Arden Hotel.

I appreciate your feedback with regards to your stay, and take on board your comments with regards to the hotel, and I am pleased that you found the service to be friendly and courteous.

We are continuoulsy reviewing our bedrooms, and are currently in the process of reviewing a few of our rooms and highlighting a few that are in need of a change. We aim to offer a good value proposition to all, as highlighted in your reviews, and I appreciate the feedback with regards to the quality of your sleep and the comfort of your stay.

As mentioned in your review, you would look to return to us when next in the area, and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Just returned from the Arden having seen Andre Rieu at the LG Arena.

Very pleasant hotel, and the room was clean and presentable. The food in the bar was very tasty and the staff were very helpful both in the bar and on reception.

We did not have time to visit the Leisure Centre, so cannot comment on that.

All in all an enjoyable stay and would return to the Arden again if we decide to visit the LG Arena next year.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PeterboroughJoan
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Dear PeterboroughJoan,

Thankyou for choosing us for your concert at the LG Arena, I am really pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

I hope that when you return to us next time, your schedule allows you an opportunity to use our Pool and Leisure Club. (I know how busy these trips can get though!)

On behalf of myself and the team at the Arden we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the near future.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as we were attending my husbands work do which was at the hotel and by staying we could use the spa facilities beforehand, get ready with no rush and then have a drink if we wanted too without worrying about driving home. The spa was fine, the steam room hot and steamy. The room was basic but clean, although the bed was a double it seemed small. The pillows were the problem they were so thin they would have been rejected by pound land. The result was no sleep and leaving the hotel at 5am to go home and get a proper sleep, so I have no idea what breakfast is like. Next year if the DO is there I will be going home afterwards,

Room Tip: take your own pillows
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Welltravelled002,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on the issues you experienced at Arden Hotel.

I am very disheartened to hear that your sleep was disrupted and have taken on board the comments you have made with regards to the pillows, and we will review and replace some of the stock where necessary.

Obviously we feel that your husbands Christmas Party should have been a fun occassion and I am so sorry to learn that this may have caused you to have not enjoyed your night's sleep following this. Your comments will be taken very seriously, and we will continue to improve the quality of pillows, as part of our ongoing investment in guest experience.

We hope to welcome you back to us at Arden Hotel for your husbands party again next year.

Michael Simpson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bickenhill
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#36 of 118 in Birmingham
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Airport

Been to Arden Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!