“They need to invest in decent pillows”

Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bickenhill
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as we were attending my husbands work do which was at the hotel and by staying we could use the spa facilities beforehand, get ready with no rush and then have a drink if we wanted too without worrying about driving home. The spa was fine, the steam room hot and steamy. The room was basic but clean, although the bed was a double it seemed small. The pillows were the problem they were so thin they would have been rejected by pound land. The result was no sleep and leaving the hotel at 5am to go home and get a proper sleep, so I have no idea what breakfast is like. Next year if the DO is there I will be going home afterwards,

Room Tip: take your own pillows
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Dear Welltravelled002,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on the issues you experienced at Arden Hotel.

I am very disheartened to hear that your sleep was disrupted and have taken on board the comments you have made with regards to the pillows, and we will review and replace some of the stock where necessary.

Obviously we feel that your husbands Christmas Party should have been a fun occassion and I am so sorry to learn that this may have caused you to have not enjoyed your night's sleep following this. Your comments will be taken very seriously, and we will continue to improve the quality of pillows, as part of our ongoing investment in guest experience.

We hope to welcome you back to us at Arden Hotel for your husbands party again next year.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Last night was our annual xmas do. Having had such a succesful event the previous year, we booked again. What a complete difference. The meal was dire in the extreme. Meagre portions and very poorly prepared. This year we decided to stay the night allowing us the freedom to enjoy a more complete night. The room,( 177) although clean was extremely dire. Small bed, one miniscule pillow each.Thus a poor nights sleep was had. Infact my wife had none at all. As a result we booked out at 0515hrs, deciding to right of the experience as well as breakfast. Certainly not worth th £60.
Never again, nor would recommend. Next time we'd utilise Premier Inns or a Travel Lodge, far better level of room etc.
Saying that, we all had a very good evening. Excellent barstaff.

Room Tip: Book into a Premier Inn
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear ukwelshman,

Thank you for your comments with regards to your Christmas Party Night at our hotel this year. I am very sorry to learn that we didn't meet either of your expectations this year.

As always, at the end of the Christmas period, we feedback we have received and although generally it has been very positive this year, I am obviously very concerned that this has not echoed your experience and we will take this into account when reviewing for next year.

I also take on board the comments you have made with regards to the room, and the lack of sleep your wife received. I have reviewed the room and your wife's comments (in a different review) and we will ensure this is addressed, as you should not have been unhappy with your stay.

My team are available 24 hours a day to address any issues you may have during your stay, so please dont hesitate to let us know, we are here for you to ensure your time with us is enjoyable.

Whilst I appreciate your comments with regards to Premier Inn and Travelodge as your future stay choice, however should you wish to try us again in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me prior to your arrival, so I can ensure your return stay is a more enjoyable one.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed in the Arden to enable us to attend a concert at the LG Arena...The location couldn't have been better. The staff were courteous and welcoming throughout, the room was clean and tidy, and the bar was keenly priced. Whilst we didn't eat, the bar menu again was well priced...unlike over hotels where drinks and food are over-priced. Will definitely keep on my stay again list.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stu W

Dear Stu W,

Thank you for your feedback!

I appreciate your comments with regards to the bar pricing. All our menu pricing in general we monitor closely, as we want to offer value for money, which we know is very unusual in a 3* hotel these days.

Look forward to welcoming you back very soon to the hotel.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed here for one night for Birmingham airport as we had a 7am flight and left our car.
Reception staff very friendly and helpful. Room clean and fresh.
The only thing we found was that the heating could not cope in the vast bar areas, although there were small fan heaters around.
In all a very well priced hotel for the night with parking. We paid £50 and could never grumble at that (parking would have cost that in the airport) a taxi over to the airport costs £6.80.
Would definately stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Dear Traceyand Paul,

I hope you had a good trip, and are settled back having enjoyed a Merry Christmas.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, and appreciate your comments with regards to the heating in our Burgundy Bar area, it is an area we have addressed with a matter of urgency, the last thing we want is cold guests!

I look forward to your return for your next trip, and thanks for taking an opportunity to rate us and comment on your stay.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Use this facility all the time -cannot fault anything. Staff very friendly, food fantastic location for access makes this a great venue for our business and pleasure trips.

Dinner for members of our trade association proved to be a great success with a private function room,

Nothing too much trouble.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new part are always very good and easier to access with lots of luggage.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear jackie M,

Thank you for your comments, and your regular custom to us at Arden Hotel.

I am pleased to continue to please, my Conference Sales Manager has told me a lot about you and your company, and I am pleased you are so content.

It would be great to touch base with you next time you are in, so I can get some direct feedback from you, and see what more we can do to make your meetings special, as this is an area we are focusing on in 2013 and going forward.

I look forward to welcoming you back very shortly.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed after attending an event at the NEC, choosing the hotel mainly for its location.

Reception staff were friendly and helpful. The room was a nice size clean and bright, reminiscent of a travel inn and not too hot!

The pool, sauna and hot tub were nice, well designed and very clean and very welcome after trudging round the NEC.

We had dinner in the hotel. The menu was nice and for the price the quality exceptional I had rack of lamb which was tender and perfectly pink and my husband's steak was blue just as requested. I would highly recomend the food and my only criticism would be the haphazard service, plenty of staff who were friendly but disorganised we had at least 4 different people serving us and as the dining room grew busy didn't actually see anyone after our main course despite trying to catch the eye of staff. Breakfast service was similarly haphazard but as it was mainly self service its impact was lessened.

Although at the front of the hotel our room was quite quiet apart from another guest who was very drunk and shouting/singing in the corridor at 12.30am however the hotel can hardly be blamed for the behaviour of their guests and she did stop before i resorted to phoning reception to complain

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Foodie501,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Arden Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am very pleased to learn that you have had a great experience with us and inparticualrly am pleased to hear you enjoyed your meal, we do get a lot of positve comments with regards to our restaurants at th hotel, and I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us. I have noted your comments with regards to the service you received and will ensure this is brought to the attention of my Food & Beverage Manager.

I hope you choose us again in the near future, despite the disturbance from a fellow guest! I look forward to welcoming you back to us here shortly.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed one night as we were visiting Motorcycle Live and the Good Food show at the NEC. Our room was clean and contained everything we needed. We ate in the bar and food was good value. English breakfast was £9.95 and included a good choice. All the staff we came into contact with were friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again if we go to the NEC.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael S, General Manager at Arden Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear Alison18,

Its great news that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Arden Hotel. It sounds to me like you had a busy weekend at the NEC - I hope you have recovered now!

I look forward to welcoming you back to us for your next visit to the area.

Michael Simpson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bickenhill
Crowne Plaza Hotel Birmingham NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
Ibis Birmingham Airport - NEC
#30 of 118 in Birmingham
Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel

Been to Arden Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!