“Nothing special”

Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Hensol
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2013

First impressions of the restaurant weren't particularly great, you walk through what looks like a social club to the actual restaurant, decor was very dated and felt like we were sat in a school dinner hall. Overall ambience was not very good and far from the romantic atmosphere we had hoped for.

The waitress although very pleasant and friendly didn't know the menu and had to go and ask the chef what the fish of the day was. I had a swordfish steak which I had to send back as it was raw and cold in the middle. Second time round however the fish was cooked perfectly. Service was a little rushed..no sooner had you put down your fork the plates were whipped away and the next course was in front of you. No time to relax!

In general the standard of food was actually quite good but the menu very limited. There were quite a few things that spoiled it for us and this would deter us from going back there again. A little more attention to detail wouldn't go amiss given that the restaurant is situated in a four star hotel.

And one more tip...don't over dress for the occassion! It really isn't all it's made out to be...

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Arrived with two family members for a sunday spa day (includes 1x 55 min treatment each plus carvery and tea and cake).

wait bout 10mins in long queue to be seated (in an empty restaurant). Get to front and give our names and shown to a table, told there is free water but if we prefer a waiter can be sent over to take a drinks order. We asked for the waiter and then stood in another queue for the carvery. Choice of beef or turkey. I chose beef and got 2 slices. Then choice of roast potatoes, green beans and peas, cawiflower cheese, red cabbage and gravy. And a yorkshire. Thats it. So if you dont like peas beans n cabbage your in a sticky situation. You get more choice at toby carvery. However on the upside the food was very tasty and good quality meat. The waiter never did come over to take a drinks order, no one came to ask if our meals were ok and in the end we got ourselves water. Only time someone appeared was to take our plates away. The seating area was ok at first glance but tables are like diner style and the decor needs repair and stains on seats. More like an overrated cafetieria than a 4* experience.

Had cake and coffee around 3pm and this was perfectly fine.

All in all, good day, service in restaurant appalling Not impressed and not what i expected to recieve at a 4* hotel/resort.

Wont be returning or recommending. Will try celtic manor, heard nothing but good recommendations from there.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Carvery lunch at the so called restaurant, was reminiscent of a School dinner queue! Finally reached the serving point, to be met by the carvery chef - who after handling meat, thought it acceptable to fondle the one and only vegetarian option. He did not see any wrong in contaminating the food and was very rude about it. The vegetables were cold, as the heated lamps were insufficient, they had no potatoes left and diners were expected to pick up Yorkshire puddings by hand - as they had failed to put out serving equipment.
Needless to say, when I checked the score on the ' Food Standard hygiene' (FSA) , I found they were awarded a 2*, translating as 'improvement necessary' However, this was rated in October 2012 and I'm my opinion, they now deserve a 1* or even a 0*.
I was also forced to clean my own chair, as my other option was to sit in the leftovers of whomever had endured a meal there the evening before!!!!
Avoid at all costs, this is the furthest from a 4* luxury Hotel and restaurant, that you could ever imagine....Subway & MCDonalds are far superior.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Vale is local to us, and on a rare childfree sunday lunchtime my husband and I decided to head there for their sunday lunch carvery. After some disorganisation I managed to book a table - we needn't have worried - there were only a handful of customers in.

We were shown to our (small) table and given the menus. These didn't say what the vegetarian option was. Neither of us fancied any of the starters. Another couple were seated next to us and given menus, drinks and bread rolls. After around 15 minutes I waved the waiter over, and asked what the vegetarian option was (Glamorgan sausages). I requested it (not a lot of choice really!). I was told there would be a 10-15 minute wait for it to be cooked. We had to ask for drinks at this point.

At the carvery the food was fresh and plentiful. Unfortunately the roast potatoes and parsnips were soggy due to being kept covered over a steam bath. Veg was beautifully cooked, and the cauliflower cheese was delicious. There was, however, no vegetarian gravy. Now, I can live with my choice of dishes being limited by being vegetarian, but to expect veggies to eat a dry dinner because a venue can't be bothered to get some granules in is, I think, unacceptable.

We didn't bother with pudding.

I had to go and find the waiter, who was out of the restaurant and in the bar area to be able to pay.

Not sure I'd go again. Food was more than edible, but the little touches were sadly absent.

1  Thank ClairyB
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Had an excellent meal here with friends. Food was excellent and the staff lovely. Given a complimentory drink after they discovered it was a Birthday celebration. A lovely evening.