“Answer the phone!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hensol
South Wales
“Answer the phone!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

My experience of the hotel and spa has always been very good. The staff are friendly and professional, the spa facilities are second to none in the area. Treatments are always conducted in a professional manner. Just one thing, answer the bloody phone! I'd be booked in so much more often, if you just answered the phone...

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
a_rees, General Manager at Vale Resort, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear SouthWalesPrincess

Thank you for your feedback which is important to us. I’m glad you enjoy your time at the Vale Resort and thank you for your kind comments. Please accept my sincere apologies, our Spa is very popular and we have been experiencing a very high volume of calls. This has already been addressed and more staff will be now be on hand to answer your calls so we look forward to seeing even more of you!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Huddersfield West Yorkshire
Reviewed March 2, 2014

For a very special Birthday treat for my husband, I booked The Vale Resort Rugby Hospitality package for the Wales v France match, plus accomodation. From the moment of booking The Vale Resortt staff went out of their way to ensure it was an occasion to remember. At the time of booking the Rugby Hospitality, accomodation was pre- booked, but luckily, rooms were made available,to my delight a wondeful room with a view to match.

Although the occasion was really for my husband, I had a ball too !! Throughout our stay we mingled with the Welsh Team and their Coaches, what a lovely group of lads, so polite and didn't mind signing autographs and to have their photos taken, not to mention their aftershave,
which was gorgeous!! We ate in The Restaurant the night before the Match, again the Restaurant staff were most welcoming and The Welsh Lamb, perfect, Breakfast plentiful also.

The Hospitality package was well worth the money, It started off with a Champagne Reception, which had a free Bar also. The 3 course meal was perfect, Main Course was Beef, and it was excellent. I sat next to someone from South Africa and he commented that it took a lot to beat steaks in South Africas and he agreed the steak was one of the best he had tasted. The waiting staff did a very good job ensuring everyone was well looked after and ensured the wine kept flowing. Representatives from the Hotel were with us all the time, to ensure every attention to detail was met, which included a Special Birthday Card for my Husband and then when the Rugby Tickets were personally given to all of us, special Birthday Wishes were mentioned again, not to mention excellent seats location for the match.

The after dinner speaker was Jonathan Davies, he touched all our hearts. No cards or prompts required, he spoke straight from the heart and told it as it was. He gave us an insight of how he felt and what it was like to be chosen to play for Wales, of why sometimes he couldn't sing The Welsh National Anthem before the match, as he was so filled with such emotion. He made us laugh and I am sure some of us to shed a tear. He made me feel proud to be Welsh.

Transport well organised to Cardiff for the game, perfect seats at the match, my debut at The Millenium Stadium was awsome. To top it all was the icing on the cake, the victory for Wales!!
I have been to Cardiff Arms Park many times, I did miss the closeness of the crowd, and the singing as it was back then, but then again, I am talking about Gareth Edwards and JPR, just to mention a few. But it was lovely to be able to say, I WAS THERE, to see Wales win against France - 27 - 6 on the 21st FEB 2014 !!

The ladies from the Vale Resort were there to see us back on the Coach to take us to the Hotel for another enjoyable meal and open Bar until 1.30pm, they were there again in the morning as we checked out. They really did their best to ensure that everyone was well looked after, attention to detail throughout, their main priority.
They indeed can say or even sing "We'll keep a Welome in The Hillside" They well earnt it.
You can be in the most fabulous place in the World, but it's the people you meet that count!!
THANK YOU ALL AT THE VALE RESORT FOR YOUR WONDERFUL HOSPITALITY !!

Room Tip: Go for the Executive Rooms = well worth the extra money for the view alone.!!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank haz2468
Dear Haz2468

Thank you for your kind comments, I’m pleased you enjoyed yourselves. Our Hospitality Packages for the 6 Nations and Autumn Series are always very popular, as you say the atmosphere is great. Hope to see you back soon.

South Wales
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I've never stayed at The Vale before and after reading some previous comments I was bit worried about staying here but i'm now glad I did. The receptionist was lovely and helpful and she did offer help with the bags. My room was really nice, clean and very spacious. You had everything that you needed and the beds in the room were very comfy. The food at the vale was very nice and the eating areas were clean and service was great. I really liked the gym and pool and again, staff were very lovely there. Really enjoyed my stay and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank KatPowell01
Dear KatPowell01

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We too, are glad you stayed with us and would of course be delighted to welcome you back to the Vale in the near future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Came here for afternoon tea. Decor is drab and in desperate need of a refurb. The surface under the glass on the tables were stained and dirty.
Why we were sat in what can only be described as a waiting room for what was meant to be a pleasant afternoon is beyond me. We stayed an hour and left. The bread on the sandwichs were stale and not very appetising. Unimaginative fillings and those that I ate were average at best. Coffee wasn't great either. Having said that the cake selection was decent enough and tasted nice, plently of clotted cream.
Service lacked somewhat and it took 10 minutes for someone to even ask us for drinks and a further 5/10 minutes for the sandwiches to arrive.
I wouldn't recommend this afternoon tea.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank frances199
Dear frances199

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies our afternoon tea was not up to the usual standard and you did not enjoy the experience. Your comments have been passed to our F & B Manager and Head Chef.

Wychbold, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2014

my wife and I and mother and father in law stayed here for 1 night so we could do a bit of shopping in Cardiff. we paid £170 for a night per couple, the entrance was nothing special and the corridors could do with a bit of an update. the dining room was more like a canteen area rather than a nice 4 star restaurant.
I will say that the food was nice.
the room was spacious and clean, the bathroom was a bit grubby needed a lick of paint and an update. overall we would not go back. there are better hotels for this money,
sorry but this hotel is way overpriced!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank scottry
Dear scottry

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback which is important to us. I am sorry we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion. I am pleased to say we are currently refurbishing our hotel bedrooms and bathrooms and later in the year are looking to extend and refurbish the Restaurant. I do hope you will change your mind and visit the Vale again so we may try to regain your trust.

Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here at the end of January to celebrate my birthday. When we arrived, the sole receptionist was on the phone. Understandably she couldn't check us in immediately but there was no apology and she seemed completely disinterested and on auto-pilot; she wanted us gone as quickly as possible.

The rooms are clean and reasonably-sized, however we were in one of the annex rooms to the main hotel. I'm not sure if this is why we could hear everyone's showers and toilets the next morning or if this is the case throughout the other rooms in the main hotel too. There was, however, a bowl of fresh fruit in our room courtesy of the management in recognition of my birthday, which I thought was a lovely sentiment and a nice touch.

Breakfast was chaotic and disorganised; be warned that if you arrive 30 minutes before breakfast is due to finish, you'll be faced with a long wait for an available table. Table service was almost non-existent during a self-service buffet and whilst you'd expect that, it did not help if you had a query or needed to speak to someone as waiters/waitresses were few and far between. When we did locate one and asked for ketchup as it wasn't available on the buffet as it should have been, we were told that the bottles were scattered around on others' tables so we should find one and help ourselves! Imagine that was the approach we took with drinks or steaks, just helping ourselves!! This was not the type of service we'd have expected from any hotel, let alone one that is supposed to be one with high standards.

We got so fed up at queuing to check out, we gave up and just left our key card on reception.

The spa experience was also not the relaxing experience we hoped it would be. We had bought the Sunday lunch and spa package deal and were told we would be allocated our treatment times at 12pm. As we'd stayed at the hotel the night before we thought we'd turn up early to see if they could tell us sooner what our allocated times were. We were told three times that we were early and shouldn't be there, despite explaining our reasons these three times. When pushed, we were finally told we would have to wait until 4pm for our treatment time. We asked if there was any scope for flexibility and were told pre-booked scheduled treatments were given priority over treatments as part of a package (although why these bookings are given priority, is beyond me).

The spa manager was very defensive and informed us that the terms and conditions of treatments and bookings were evident on their website and were also made clear at the time of booking. She told us that the website was clear that a treatment time would be allocated any time between 12pm and 6pm as that was the package booked. This is certainly not the case but she refused to refund us on this basis. After battling and getting nowhere, we had no choice but to concede and re-book for an alternative day when they were able to make a booking at a specific time using 'management discretion'. Apparently the only time they would have refunded us was if I'd told them I had cancer!!! Quite frankly, a shocking experience!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank trueblue212
swansea
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We are presently stay at the vale for 2 night for a 80th birthday. We have 3 rooms and all of them are freezing. We believe the heating has not worked till at least valentines as we were informed a lady had the same problems. We were eventually given heaters and told they will give us new rooms tomorrow. Will up date review. This hotel has booked people into this wing even though they are aware of the heating problems

• Stayed February 2014
Dear swiftswansea

I believe we have replied directly to yourselves but I would like once again to apologise for the heating problems we experienced for a few hours in a couple of rooms which were out of our control. I am sorry this impacted on your stay, we tried our best to solve the problem as quickly as possible. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hensol
Miskin Manor Hotel and Health Club
Mercure Cardiff Holland House Hotel and Spa
New House Country Hotel
New House Country Hotel
#3 of 73 in Cardiff

Been to Vale Resort? Share your experiences!