“Fantastic Day”

Vale Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hensol
“Fantastic Day”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I have used the Vale on many occassions and never failed to have enjoyed my stay. The most recent has been this week when I attended a golf event and the quality of the event was first class. The Company who organised the event done a fantastic job, however, the support from the Vale was brilliant.
The hotel is very good, the staff are very supportive and the food is very good (either in the restaurant or in the bar).
I have had the pleasure of staying in the suites which are excellent but the rooms are also very good.
If you are a golfer you will be delighted to play either course - we played on the National which was superb

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
a_rees, General Manager at Vale Resort, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Dave A,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Vale Resort, it's fantastic to hear from a repeat guest and your review will prove very helpful for our potential future guests.

We pride ourselves in our service and it great to see that we assisted well with the corporate day. I am glad you enjoyed playing the National Course and thank you for the great recommendation. Be sure to check some of our current Golf Break packages we have on.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at the Vale Resort, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Just spent 15 nights here and mixed feelings.
It's a repeat of an identical stay 30 months ago.

Rooms are clean and well-appointed for the price-break - mine overlooked the lake which forms part of the golf course, a pleasant view but as there is some arcane Big Brother air-conditioning system (which means it's hopeless) my preference for sleeping with the windows open and benefitting from the crisp Welsh air was tempered by being woken EVERY morning by the green keepers mowing the grass at 0530-0600.
As I was there for work, it was a passable alarm clock - I was set for an 0700 wake-up anyway.
However, Friday and Saturday nights in particular can be pandemonic right into the wee small hours of 0330 and the longed-for dreamless sleep vanished from my expectations.

Bar menus are, frankly, boring after the first three or four days.
A bit more imagination and the concept of a vegetable being something other than a chip wouldn't go amiss.
A room service charge of £5 is outrageous on a typical meal of around £10-£12 without alcohol.
£3 would be a far more realistic price-point.
Whatever system is supposed to be in place for checking evening bar food orders in the kitchen is haphazard and one is often treated to the sight of staff wandering around desperately trying to match the meal with the guest.
This works two ways - don't expect to get exactly what you asked for every time and waiting-time can be totally random.
Breakfast - actually pretty good and the on-duty chef will knock up fried/poached eggs and other treats (porridge/haddock) swiftly and with a smile.
The whole breakfast experience was pleasant every day and being there for a couple of weeks meant that staff got to know one's personal needs and remembered them - very much a plus point.
Rooms - a bit 1990s to be honest but generally well maintained and kept clean.
Once or twice the (deliberate) crumbs I'd dropped on the floor took a day or two to Hoover up but overall housekeeping was of a high standard.
Location - the Vale Resort is the hub of a high quality golf course, well-enjoyed health club and spa and hosts the Welsh rugby centre of excellence for training in the sport. All very worthy but the car park is often very full! There is nothing within walking distance and very little within a 10-minute drive.
We resorted to pizza delivery from Domino's (go online!) now and then just to ring the changes and save some money.
Well within distance is the Bush Inn at St Hilary - especially in summer with its garden but very cosy in winter, well worth a visit with a designated driver.
Overall the Vale Resort is of a high standard but sometimes charges more than most people would consider fair for its location and standard.
Check your bill carefully especially if you've been there a while.
Several colleagues reported many wrongly accredited charges including ones supposedly incurred while they weren't on the premises.
It's not unknown for other guests in transient roles (weddings etc) to charge things to random room numbers.
Staff do NOT check either guest name or key-cards on a routine basis which makes this scam so successful.
Wi-Fi:
Personal campaign of mine, Wi-Fi should be a human right like air and water, not over-charged and low-quality.
While, as part of our corporate deal, we had "free" 512kbps Wi-Fi, the speed was so dismal that I gave up and used my 3G dongle connection instead, often at 6 times the speed (3Mbps) which while flaccid compared to home (60Mbps fibre) at least I could browse in a sensible time-frame.
Internet access is the last resort of corporate hooliganism in my view.
It's perceived as a cash-cow by many hotels forgetting that alternate access for far less money pours in through the window.
The Vale Resort works well for high-volume short-term events - the weddings and other social gatherings I observed during my stay all seemed to be well serviced and other reviews seem to back up this impression.
If there's any improvement to be made it's in the area of accountability regarding room bills and the specific requirements of long-stay corporate clients, for example package handling with courier delivery, and a better focus on billing security.

Room Tip: Insist on one that DOESN'T overlook the golf course unless you're happy to keep the windows...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear CroydonClothears,

Firstly, may I thank you for providing us with your feedback. Please accept my apologies that you have left the Resort with a disappointed view to your visit.

With regard to the issues you have raised, I will be discussing these with each department. We are at present reviewing our Bar and Room Service Menus.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your breakfast experience with us and will be glad to pass on your comments to our chefs.

In relation to our Wifi, this is standard across the Resort and runs we find it is usually sufficient speed, I do apologise if this was not to the standard that you have at home, going forward it is something we can look at improving.

I understand how disappointing it can be when your expectations are not met. Again, please accept our apologies that we did not live up to your expectations during your recent stay. If you choose to stay with us in the future, I hope we can exceed your expectations.

Bristol
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night spa and golf break at The Vale and find it hard to say what my overall feelings are about the resort.
Firstly 'Resort' sums up what this hotel is all about.It is really only for those people who want a spa break,golfing break,wedding,stag do,hen night and so on.If you're looking for a nice quiet romantic break,this aint the place!
The positives:
The spa is fabulous,with many different areas in which to chill out and relax.My full body massage was terrific and my thanks go to Cerys my masseur,and her partner whose name i cant remember who gave my wife her massage.
Most of the staff we encountered were polite,efficient and wanted to help.The golf course was terrific albeit very very long (the National Course) and a real test of golf!
The rooms were large,well equipped with huge beds,wonderful bath and large flat screen tv.
The Negatives:
We had asked for a room with a balcony,which we duly got.What the receptionist forgot to say was that it overlooked the hotels air condtioning plant which meant the noise it made made it almost impossible to talk to each other on the balcony and was not the most attractive outlook! We tried to change rooms as we were there for 2 nights but were told sorry,nothing we can do except put you in a room overlooking the car park with no balcony! No offer of recompense whatsoever.Fortunately with the door shut at night the noise was not obtrusive.So if you want a room with a balcony please avoid room numbers 122,123,and 124!!!!
The dining options in the hotel were quite abysmal.The bar restaurant, was more like a canteen,and the Grill restaurant was only a small improvement on that! Breakfast was good,great selection and service excellent.Dinner in the evening was in the same place and was laid up the same as breakfast.If they just put tablecloths on the table for the evening meals it would make such a difference!
The menu is extremely limited to say the least and very expensive.My wife ordered the surf and turf which was around £22 and the steak was black and burnt to a cinder.Whilst they happily changed it,the food should never have been sent out like that.Whoever was on the pass that night should be ashamed.
I couldn't believe that a so say 4 star hotel in this day and age did not offer free wi fi in all areas.In your room you were allowed 30 mins free and then charged £10 for 8 hours I believe.Come on Vale Hotel this really is unacceptable in the type of hotel you are trying to be!!!!
A small niggle is that on a 2 night stay our room card refused to work 3 times and we had to traipse to reception ,who smiled and reset the card.I gather from housekeeping that this was not uncommon.
To summarise,its not a bad place but could be so much better.I would return again if the price was right,but not otherwise.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gashead50
Wales
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Returned yesterday from a wonderful two days at The Vale with my friend. We had a brilliant Spa break deal - dinner, bed and breakfast, use of facilities, half day in the spa and a 25 min treatment. From the minute we arrived we were given excellent service from the staff, who were all helpful and friendly. Lovely room with balcony overlooking the golf course - well worth upgrading to one of these rooms. The evening meal was delicious and the service excellent. Breakfast was good and the afternoon tea was just great, £15 for two people.
The spa was lovely, totally relaxing. Use of the relaxation roms and the swimming pool, sauna, hot tub and steam room. Althoug the treatment was only 25mins,I think it was the best massage I have ever had - thank you Charlotte.
This is my second stay here this year and both breaks have been wonderful. I would recommend this hotel and this particular break. I will be returning!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear grannysue35,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a 5 star review. It is such a pleasure to read such kind words and will look forward to passing them on to each team and especially Charlotte in our Spa.

I am please you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and couldn’t ask for a better recommendation.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the resort, be sure to keep an eye out on our website as we have some great Spa offers available.

Bridgend
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My daughter had her wedding reception here and it was the best wedding I have ever attended. Room was amazing, food was great, staff exceptional. Prices astronomical but worth the extra. Family and friends stayed overnight but room not very impressive. Grounds amazing. Other events going on same day but no overlap or intrusion between one or another.

Room Tip: Breakfast extra £14 or more per head.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Clive,

Thank you for your feedback, it is a pleasure to read that the Vale Resort was apart of such a memorable day.

With regard to our breakfast buffet it is included in the majority of our guest packages, if it is not included it is charged at £12.95 per person.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Room was ok but seemed dull. Tv controls didn't work in room and just seemed a bit tired. When I came to my room for the first time there was a dirty glass outside waiting to be collected.
I didn't use the facilities - but understand them to be good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear ForestCookie,

Thank you for your feedback.

We would have happily replaced the the TV controls had we been made aware at the time they were not working, they are checked daily when the rooms are serviced. Our Corridors are monitored regularly to ensure there are no glasses or trays from room service left out, apologies if one was missed.

I hope perhaps on your next visit you will have time to enjoy our excellent leisure facilities.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2013

What a great place this. I was on a business trip that felt like holiday. The Hotel was great, the food was great, the golf was great ( but not easy ) Most of all the staff were excellent, I will soon return

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Thomas,

Thank you for your feedback. It is a reassuring to read such kind words, as we always aim to offer the best value and great customer service to our guests.

It is nice to read that you were here on business but felt it was like a holiday, I hope that you can come and visit us on a leisure break soon.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hensol
Miskin Manor Hotel and Health Club
#3 of 73 in Cardiff
The Bear Hotel
The Bear Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cowbridge

Been to Vale Resort? Share your experiences!