“Good food, good hosting!”
Review of Crannag Bistro

Crannag Bistro
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Award winning Highland restaurant serving local ingredients in contemporary dishes. Organic wines, North Highland whiskies and Cairngorm beers, unpretentious food and a true Highland welcome. Booking always recommended!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good food, good hosting!”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We were recently at a loose end in Dornoch for dinner, and came across this restaurant on Trip Advisor. Ian and Cathy were fantastic hosts, and Cathy even cooked me some spinach and mushrooms to go with my very tasty steak to accommodate my no-carb preference for the day! If you're in Bonar Bridge or the surrounding area, a visit to the Crannag Bistro for the wonderful service and fine food is recommended.

• Visited February 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Sutherland Treat”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Not often do I take time out to review places but I just had to share my great evening at the welcoming Crannag Bistro. We were warmly greeted by a friendly and witty Ian who made us feel relaxed and in the mood for a good night out with a drink at the bar. The menu was well balanced and enticing and we both chose the excellent chilli cheese souffle which was delicious and mouth watering. Husband then had a perfectly cooked rib eye steak, locally sourced, absolutely delicious ( I know - I had some ) and served with all the trimmings and I enjoyed a beautifully prepared fish rissotto. The portions were generous, but of course we managed to squeeze in dessert and the home made ice creams I had were extraordinarily good, imaginative flavours- ginger, cinnamon and something deliciously nutty. Kathy is a star and I cant wait to go back for another fantastic meal. We finished our evening at the bar with coffee,drinks and lively conversation with both Kathy and Ian who are both comical and charming hosts. Looking forward to another visit soon and would reccomend to all, parties and couple alike.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Sophie B
Bonar Bridge, United Kingdom
“A night out”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

...after a busy time before Christmas we had our Christmas Dinner at the Crannag Bistro on the 22nd of December.
Again, again, and again.. a cordially welcome - a local Gin Tonic at the bar and a perfect three course dinner. Its an enjoyment every time.
Merry Christmas to Kathy and Ian and the Crannag Bistro is the culinary highlight in this area and best of all - We are living only 5 miles away :)

Gabi and Andreas

1 Thank ScotlandForAll
Tain, Ross-shire
“First time visitors. Will come again!”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Personally greeted and served by the owner on arrival. We chose from the table d'hote Christmas menu. Good value at £22.50 for three courses. For starters, Son had langoustine mousse starter, which was a triumph! Two of us had an excellent venison terrine with a delicious pear and apple chutney. My wife had the goat's chhese and beetroot souffle, again beautifully prepared.

For main courses, two of us had the duck breast, which was imaginatively prepared, with the fat seared and scored, and the duck cooked pink. Another of our number chose the lamb rump, served on a generous bed of mash, and the final member of our group chose the vegetable parcels, nicely presented in filo pastry, again served on a generous portion of mash.

Good to see many local ingredients sourced and used, including Strathdon Blue cheese from our local cheesmakers in Tain, Highland Fine Cheeses ltd.

A fine selection of beers from the Cairngorm Brewery, and the owner clearly knows his Single Malts, with a good selection available from the bar, including four cask varieties of the local Glen Morangie.

All in all, an excellent evening, great value for money and a good start to the Christmas break.

1 Thank Mark J
London, England, United Kingdom
“Fabulous bistro, Fabulous people.”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I rarely review things online but feel compelled to do so after having such fun at the Crannag Bistro. My boyfriend and I visited recently during our super-romantic first holiday together, and we both had a truly lovely evening. The food was absolutely flawless, and Kathy and Ian were wonderfully charming hosts without being intrusive. The bistro obviously attracts a lot of loyalty and regular custom, which lends it a characterful and intimate atmosphere, and the menu changes regularly which conveys the owners interest and enthusiasm in the food they serve. Our meal was definitely one of the highlights of an amazing holiday, and we hope very much to visit the bistro (and the gorgeous Highlands) again one day.