“Save your money and book the Premier Inn - Total let down”

De Vere Horsley Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Horsley
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Save your money and book the Premier Inn - Total let down”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My partner and I needed a place to stay for one night after attending an event in Guildford. As we've been really busy in the build up to our wedding we decided to splash a bit on a 4* hotel hoping for a spot of luxury. The images on the website are full of promise, a grand old building, rich in character, vast grounds and luxury rooms. At 12:30am, we used the post code on the hotel website to navigate using a sat nav. 20 minutes later we had to call the hotel to request the correct post code as we had been taken down a private road and reached a dead end. Not a great start, but forgiven as we pulled up into the grounds in all their glory! We were excited to discover that we were staying in The Tower, the rather grand stately home, rather than the new red brick conference centre. We entered our room expecting luxury to be greeted with tired looking wallpaper, stained carpets and a bed straight out of a 2* Travelodge, hard and uninviting. In the morning I took a shower and found that the fixing that held the shower head in place was broken which meant I had to hold the shower head to wash then hang it up to use both hands to lather my hair - did I mention that the room was freezing? Not a pleasant experience! The bathroom sealant was also old and yellow, the enamel bath had several chips in it and there was soap scum on the shelf in the shower. Maybe breakfast would make up for it? No. We went to breakfast 30 minutes before service ended. We were seated at our table and then ignored by the restaurant staff. We had to ask someone for tea/coffee. There was hardly anything left on the buffet, no beans with the cooked breakfast, overall a pretty poor show. We went to check out, joined a queue at the reception desk as we needed to feedback about the room and the shower. There was a fairly big queue at reception with two members of staff and two queues. We got stuck behind a guy who beckoned his other friends over to check in with him which took about 20 minutes to deal with, meanwhile the lady behind us pointed out that the people in the other queue about to be seen arrived well after we did. She kindly pointed this out to the other receptionist who beckoned us over to the front of her queue in front of other guests who had only been there for 5 minutes. The guests behind us then decided to verbally abuse me for "barging" and told me to "get a life". The receptionist who called us over did absolutely nothing to diffuse the situation. It was ridiculous and embarrassing. Overall, a 2* experience for a 4* price. Total let down.

Room Tip: Guests who stay in the conference centre seem to have a better experience. Don't stay in The Tow...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at De Vere Horsley Estate, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear ImmodestyGraze
Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry that your experience of Horsley Park and particularly the Towers seems to have been poor but I appreciate your feedback and will certainly share it with my team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stated here on a recent trip to London. Overall very good:-
Positive: spacious family room, comfortable bed, clean, good facilities, helpful and friendly staff, complimentary hot drinks in bar area.
Negative: uncomfortable camp bed for child, LONG check out (queued for 25 mins), confusion over child breakfast price but rectified and offered FOC ;)
Overall excellent and my favourite De Vere so far.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Jo J
Thank you for your great review. Apologies & we'll work on those cheack out queues.
Regards
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Don't bother. Tired old bed factory. The website shows pictures of the grand old house. They need to show the bit you actually stay in. And I'm afraid the staff don't help. I was almost barked at when checking in and felt like I was being treated as the newbie at some Victorian school. And the food? - since when did pan-fried fish get served cold and raw? The plate was removed but the staff didn't think any further action was needed. There are so many places around this side of London that you just don't need to even consider this one.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank OnehandEconomist
Dear OnehandEconomist
Thank you for your recent review of Horsley Park. I am sorry that your stay appears poor and did not match your expectation. I do hope we get the opportunity to rectify that at some point in the future.

Travelers are raving about these East Horsley hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The microscopic rooms in the conference accommodation have paper thin walls - expect to get woken up by the room next door's phone ringing or your upstairs neighbour using the lavatory. The bathrooms are tired and feature intermittently scalding or freezing water, it is the typical De Vere story really, nice old stately home with sub premier inn standard rooms but reasonable food, nice staff and free wifi

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Craggy1slands
Thank you for your recent review and overall comments regarding the team & food.
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I'm a regular visitor to this hotel and just had a weekend there with my family for my mothers birthday and every single one of us loved it! The bar & restaurant were superb but what really makes it is the staff. We personally can't thank Anna & Fran enough for all their help with our stay as they are only to happy to assist where possible. I understand and appreciate that everyone have different views & expectations but we love this hotel, and personnel, as a place to come & chill. I hope to he back soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rob S
Dear Rob
... and we love you!
Thanks for the great review, I will certainly ensure Anna & Fran see it.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Staying here right now....website entirely misleading. Big let down! The beautiful building you see is on the property but you won't be staying there.

Clean, typical small British hotel room but in a dormitory style building. Ladies - you must walk thought the bar area to get to the gym and swimming pool!! Not worth the close-to-full price we paid!!

1 Thank Jan G
Dear Jan G
Thank you for your recent review - I'm sorry that you found the website mis-leading, that is certainly not our intention; and overall the venue not to your liking.
Kind Regards,
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I booked this as part of the De Vere £10 per person per night offer that they had at the beginning of the year.

The directions given on their website of how to get to the hotel (because the postcode doesn't work in the sat nav) were a little out of date. I was looking for signs that just simply weren't there, so a little bit of guess work was needed.

Driving in it looks very posh, however once you are in the car park and established where reception is you realise that the pictures on the website are a little mis leading. However from reading the reviews on here first I was expecting this.

Check in was efficent, and the receptionist staff friendly and polite.

The room was small but in relatively good condition. Bed was super comfortable. I wanted to take it home with me!

On the first night we ate in the resturant as they were serving a buffet of roast dinner. The beef was sooooo tough. It was hard to cut and even harder to eat. The roast potatos tasted a little weird to be honest. So I didn't eat much of my mains. Luckily I managed to fill up on starters and dessert, both of which were nice. The second night we ate in the bar. The food on this menu being really limited and expensive. I suppose to encourage people to eat in the resturant. The meal was ok. I fancied a dessert and asked a passing member of staff for the menu, however the menu said to ask for 'dessert of the day' or similar. Unfortunatly she did not offer what the dessert was, so I decided to go without.

We had breakfast both mornings at a cost of £7.50 per person. I enjoyed the breakfasts and found the selection very good. My partner however disagreed.

The offers that De Vere have are very good and I will book again, but with others within the chain, simply to get to know other areas of the country.

Dear Madsslk
Many thanks for your recent review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Horsley
#5 of 11 in Guildford
Manor House Hotel & Spa
Manor House Hotel & Spa
#11 of 11 in Guildford

Been to De Vere Horsley Estate? Share your experiences!