My partner and I needed a place to stay for one night after attending an event in Guildford. As we've been really busy in the build up to our wedding we decided to splash a bit on a 4* hotel hoping for a spot of luxury. The images on the website are full of promise, a grand old building, rich in character, vast grounds and luxury rooms. At 12:30am, we used the post code on the hotel website to navigate using a sat nav. 20 minutes later we had to call the hotel to request the correct post code as we had been taken down a private road and reached a dead end. Not a great start, but forgiven as we pulled up into the grounds in all their glory! We were excited to discover that we were staying in The Tower, the rather grand stately home, rather than the new red brick conference centre. We entered our room expecting luxury to be greeted with tired looking wallpaper, stained carpets and a bed straight out of a 2* Travelodge, hard and uninviting. In the morning I took a shower and found that the fixing that held the shower head in place was broken which meant I had to hold the shower head to wash then hang it up to use both hands to lather my hair - did I mention that the room was freezing? Not a pleasant experience! The bathroom sealant was also old and yellow, the enamel bath had several chips in it and there was soap scum on the shelf in the shower. Maybe breakfast would make up for it? No. We went to breakfast 30 minutes before service ended. We were seated at our table and then ignored by the restaurant staff. We had to ask someone for tea/coffee. There was hardly anything left on the buffet, no beans with the cooked breakfast, overall a pretty poor show. We went to check out, joined a queue at the reception desk as we needed to feedback about the room and the shower. There was a fairly big queue at reception with two members of staff and two queues. We got stuck behind a guy who beckoned his other friends over to check in with him which took about 20 minutes to deal with, meanwhile the lady behind us pointed out that the people in the other queue about to be seen arrived well after we did. She kindly pointed this out to the other receptionist who beckoned us over to the front of her queue in front of other guests who had only been there for 5 minutes. The guests behind us then decided to verbally abuse me for "barging" and told me to "get a life". The receptionist who called us over did absolutely nothing to diffuse the situation. It was ridiculous and embarrassing. Overall, a 2* experience for a 4* price. Total let down.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At De Vere Horsley Estate, you're spoilt for choice. Luxuriate in the grandeur of this 1828 Victorian mansion, set in 70 acres of stunning parkland. Find everything you need for business, training and conferences at Horsley Management Centre. Marvel at the magnificent views over the surrounding countryside. It's a perfect base to enjoy a walk in the pure country air or venture further afield to one of the many historic or sporting attractions in the vicinity. Be sure to get your stay off to a good start: make the most of our tranquil indoor pool and mini-gym or, if you're feeling more adventurous, play 5-a-side football, croquet or volley ball. Finish your evenings with a relaxing drink in the bar and delicious meal in our award-winning, Steam Bake & Grill restaurant. Located in Surrey, it is easily accessible from the M25 and equidistant from Heathrow and Gatwick airports ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your De Vere Horsley Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Horsley Park Hotel East Horsley
- Horsley Park Surrey
- Horsley Park Hotel Surrey
- De Vere Horsley Estate East Horsley, Surrey, UK