“Lovely setting”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Horsley
Tadcaster, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I took my mum there as a treat after her chemo treatment. The room was cold for her on arrival but they immediately put in a heater that soon warmed it up. Bar meals were great, breakfast was fantastic and the wedding planner in the mansion was very kind and gave us a tour of the house. Staff couldn't have been more helpful. Coffee stations around the hotel were a bonus and we managed to discover some very quite seating areas.

I did think we would be staying in the mansion but this is used mainly for weddings, with this in mind the new annex across the lawns was not a disappointment.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TLCJ1961
Michael M, General Manager at De Vere Horsley Estate, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear TLCJ1961
Many thanks for your recent review and overall comments - delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly pleased with comments regarding the team here at Horsley.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
England
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited the hotel for a close friends 60th birthday party. We stay in the Towers, the building itself is fabulous, unfortunately the inside does not match up to the initial expectations. The first word my husband said when we opened the door to our room was 'Dingy', everything is really tired, chipped paintwork, chipped enamel on the bath, cracked sink, shabby furniture, felt somewhat grubby. The public areas were similar, everything needed a facelift!
On the upside, throughout our stay the staff were friendly and very helpful, we were in one of the function rooms in the Towers, it was a fabulous room, hot buffet was very average, but edible nonetheless.
Breakfast the next day was chaos, burning toast, not enough crockery,undercooked, eggs and bacon, and tepid food throughout, they were very busy and clearly understaffed. One of our party gave up and left without their tea!
What a Shame, it could be wonderful, come on De Vere get your act together..

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Michael M, General Manager at De Vere Horsley Estate, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Bunty50
Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry that your experience of Horsley Park did not live up to our normal high standards; we will continue to work to overcome these hurdles.

Travelers are raving about these East Horsley hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We were staying there as we were attending a family wedding which was nearby. There was a big group of family members staying there, all prebooked and prepaying for the quite expensive rooms.

We had a late check in, around 1am before we made it. Swift check in but when we got to our room we were not happy seeing how small it was and particularly the size and state of the bathroom….or shower room. It was really small with mould in the shower and around the tiles etc. Because of the time however we thought we would wait until morning to request an alternative room.

Morning came and we went to reception; was told there were no other rooms available and that we would just have to put up. The receptionist was not at all helpful and quite rude and abrupt. I was not happy about this and asked to speak to the duty manager. The duty manager was the opposite of the receptionist – really polite and said she would see what she could do and would get back to us. She offered us to move to another room, the only other one available in the hotel which was in the same block and said that it had a bath which pleased us. We quickly changed rooms as we were due to meet people downstairs 15 minutes later.

The state of the second room however was worse than the first. Please see the photos, they speak for themselves.

• ROTTEN shower screen
• Mould around bath
• Rusty taps
• Rusty marks from taps on bath
• Dusty desktop
• Smear on walls that looked like blood
• Dust / hair / fluff on roller blind

**HEALTH HAZZARD**

It is appauling how they can even charge for this room.

There was also no AC and it was a very hot day with sun at the window most of the day- very uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the blocks at the front of the hotel!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank ianp00
Dear ianp00
Thank you for your recent review; quite possibly the worst review we have received for a long time. I apologise for the obvious shortcomings and will rectify them immediately. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.
Regards,
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The hotel is lovely, the reception staff are friendly but overall I have some major grips with this hotel!
A) maid service! Despite having the do not disturb sign up the maid knocked on the door 4 times from 8:30-10 to ask if I wanted my room cleaning! Even tho this was lovely I wanted to sleep!
On our last day once again sign up I was on the toilet as she came barging through the door to ask If I was checking out! Chatting to me while I'm on the loo!
Constantly worried to fall asleep or go to the loo as I'd be joined by a stranger every 5 mins! Do not disturb means just that!

B) changing room! The changing rooms are small and are open, this is the same in most places but when they hold swimming lessons for children, trying to get changed while keeping my dignity while 5 3 year olds and parents are changing was stressful! Oh and then to top it off the grounds man comes walking in while I'm half naked! IS THERE ANY PRIVACY IN THIS PLACE?!?!

C) this hotel is full of business conferences which is fine but at 7-8am every morning there is a slamming of doors and chatting outside your room! (Plus u can hear the neighbour wee!) oh and they post you a bill at 6am through your door (actually thought someone had entered the room and scared me half to death!)

Due to the noise and the staff I have harderly had any sleep on my "relaxing weekend away"

So despite most of the staff seeing my personal bits and my sleep deprivation the facilities are good, the food is lovely and the chefs are great!
I wouldn't recommend as a nice weekend away or to bring the kids! Just mainly business big wigs that's pretty much all this places caters for!
Good point: close to London!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear alex186408
Thank you for your recent review. I apologise for the issues you encountered, where we can we will rectify them. Albeit that we are inherently a conference hotel, I do believe that we more than adequately also provide good quality and value for money to our leisure guests.
Crowborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed for one night for the princely sum of £20 for the room and an additional £7.50 each for breakfast. We weren't really expecting too much, and having read previous reviews we knew it was primarily used as a business/conference hotel.
The actual position of the hotel is lovely, quiet and pretty. Yes, the part we stayed in wasn't particularly pleasing to the eye, but we saw through that considering the price we paid. We stayed in room 76 which was small but clean and adequate for one night's stay. The actual Horsley Towers is very impressive and is set in beautiful grounds with a lake. I presume that this is used for Weddings.
Breakfast at the price of £7.50 each was very good value for money.There is a good choice of toast and preserves, cereals, fruit and juices, The hot selection was very good and there was a choice which was kept topped up with fresh foods,
In addition there is a lounge area and bar area where you can relax and enjoy free coffee and teas together with biscuits. A nice touch.
Finally we did get to use the pool facility and had this to ourselves, The pool is a good size and one depth, so good for children. The changing areas do need a bit of updating and also the showers but it was very clean,
For the monies we paid would I go there again? The answer is yes.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sunnyhand7
Dear Sunnyhand7
Thank you for your recent review - delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.
Regards,
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for valentines night as a change. Thought it would be a stately home type set up. WRONG. It's a conference hotel. Food was a Buffett not that good. Gym was a little shabby as were the changing rooms. It had been repainted.

You ah e to check out by 9am which is just stupid! We did ask for a late check out which they have us but that's only at 10am!

Rooms are OK - beat part of the hotel

Unless you are attending a conference with a large group stay away otherwise you will be bored and disappointed. However with a large group you can make anywhere good.

Overall disappointing from what looked liked great photos for a couple. However It's OK for a conference.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear James T
Thank you for your recent review. I apologise if we did not achieve your expectation ~ Horsley Park is a fantastic conference centre with great accomodation & deals for leisure customers, but is not a stately home type hotel.
Thanks & regards,
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2013

What a strange place. It was really a management centre/conference centre with small bedrooms. The taxi driver couldn't find the entrance as it was just signposted management suite.

The rooms were tiny, no toiletries you would expect from a 4 star hotel, even an Ibis hotel. A tiny travel bottle was priced at £2!!!!

The restaurant didn't open till 7' but I found there was a bar menu which in fact was better choice than the restaurant. The pulled pork sandwich was good.

There was no atmosphere to this place. The old Towers was not the hotel, which are led to believe from the main pictures. The bedrooms are in a basic building.

The pool was tiny as is the gym, and not worth the effort of getting changed in the smallest changing room I have ever seen. The gym had about 6 CV machines in it. Pity as I chose this place on that basis.

This really just a faceless conference centre, full of groups of "suits" . I feel sorry for anyone looking forward to a cozy hotel with rooms and facilities of a 4 star standard.

De Vere what are you thinking of..... Rebrand this, and stop leading people to believe this is a hotel !!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JanineLovesHolidays
Michael M, General Manager at De Vere Horsley Estate, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear warnzy
Thank you for your recent review and I am sorry if Horsley Park did not match your expectations. As you will see from the numerous reviews below we certainly do not hide the fact that we are principally a conferencing & meeting venue. A part of the 'Venues' brand of De Vere we are not and never suggest that we are a 'cozy' 4 star hotel - i am sorry if that was your assumption.
I would however have to agree with you on the pulled pork sandwich - delicious!
Kind Regards,
Manor House Hotel & Spa
Manor House Hotel & Spa
#11 of 11 in Guildford
Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa

Been to De Vere Horsley Estate? Share your experiences!