“Unless your holding a business convention it's not relaxing!”

De Vere Horsley Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Horsley
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Unless your holding a business convention it's not relaxing!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

The hotel is lovely, the reception staff are friendly but overall I have some major grips with this hotel!
A) maid service! Despite having the do not disturb sign up the maid knocked on the door 4 times from 8:30-10 to ask if I wanted my room cleaning! Even tho this was lovely I wanted to sleep!
On our last day once again sign up I was on the toilet as she came barging through the door to ask If I was checking out! Chatting to me while I'm on the loo!
Constantly worried to fall asleep or go to the loo as I'd be joined by a stranger every 5 mins! Do not disturb means just that!

B) changing room! The changing rooms are small and are open, this is the same in most places but when they hold swimming lessons for children, trying to get changed while keeping my dignity while 5 3 year olds and parents are changing was stressful! Oh and then to top it off the grounds man comes walking in while I'm half naked! IS THERE ANY PRIVACY IN THIS PLACE?!?!

C) this hotel is full of business conferences which is fine but at 7-8am every morning there is a slamming of doors and chatting outside your room! (Plus u can hear the neighbour wee!) oh and they post you a bill at 6am through your door (actually thought someone had entered the room and scared me half to death!)

Due to the noise and the staff I have harderly had any sleep on my "relaxing weekend away"

So despite most of the staff seeing my personal bits and my sleep deprivation the facilities are good, the food is lovely and the chefs are great!
I wouldn't recommend as a nice weekend away or to bring the kids! Just mainly business big wigs that's pretty much all this places caters for!
Good point: close to London!

• Stayed February 2013
Michael M, General Manager at De Vere Horsley Estate, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear alex186408
Thank you for your recent review. I apologise for the issues you encountered, where we can we will rectify them. Albeit that we are inherently a conference hotel, I do believe that we more than adequately also provide good quality and value for money to our leisure guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Crowborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed for one night for the princely sum of £20 for the room and an additional £7.50 each for breakfast. We weren't really expecting too much, and having read previous reviews we knew it was primarily used as a business/conference hotel.
The actual position of the hotel is lovely, quiet and pretty. Yes, the part we stayed in wasn't particularly pleasing to the eye, but we saw through that considering the price we paid. We stayed in room 76 which was small but clean and adequate for one night's stay. The actual Horsley Towers is very impressive and is set in beautiful grounds with a lake. I presume that this is used for Weddings.
Breakfast at the price of £7.50 each was very good value for money.There is a good choice of toast and preserves, cereals, fruit and juices, The hot selection was very good and there was a choice which was kept topped up with fresh foods,
In addition there is a lounge area and bar area where you can relax and enjoy free coffee and teas together with biscuits. A nice touch.
Finally we did get to use the pool facility and had this to ourselves, The pool is a good size and one depth, so good for children. The changing areas do need a bit of updating and also the showers but it was very clean,
For the monies we paid would I go there again? The answer is yes.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sunnyhand7
Dear Sunnyhand7
Thank you for your recent review - delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.
Regards,
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for valentines night as a change. Thought it would be a stately home type set up. WRONG. It's a conference hotel. Food was a Buffett not that good. Gym was a little shabby as were the changing rooms. It had been repainted.

You ah e to check out by 9am which is just stupid! We did ask for a late check out which they have us but that's only at 10am!

Rooms are OK - beat part of the hotel

Unless you are attending a conference with a large group stay away otherwise you will be bored and disappointed. However with a large group you can make anywhere good.

Overall disappointing from what looked liked great photos for a couple. However It's OK for a conference.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear James T
Thank you for your recent review. I apologise if we did not achieve your expectation ~ Horsley Park is a fantastic conference centre with great accomodation & deals for leisure customers, but is not a stately home type hotel.
Thanks & regards,
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

What a strange place. It was really a management centre/conference centre with small bedrooms. The taxi driver couldn't find the entrance as it was just signposted management suite.

The rooms were tiny, no toiletries you would expect from a 4 star hotel, even an Ibis hotel. A tiny travel bottle was priced at £2!!!!

The restaurant didn't open till 7' but I found there was a bar menu which in fact was better choice than the restaurant. The pulled pork sandwich was good.

There was no atmosphere to this place. The old Towers was not the hotel, which are led to believe from the main pictures. The bedrooms are in a basic building.

The pool was tiny as is the gym, and not worth the effort of getting changed in the smallest changing room I have ever seen. The gym had about 6 CV machines in it. Pity as I chose this place on that basis.

This really just a faceless conference centre, full of groups of "suits" . I feel sorry for anyone looking forward to a cozy hotel with rooms and facilities of a 4 star standard.

De Vere what are you thinking of..... Rebrand this, and stop leading people to believe this is a hotel !!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JanineLovesHolidays
Michael M, General Manager at De Vere Horsley Estate, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear warnzy
Thank you for your recent review and I am sorry if Horsley Park did not match your expectations. As you will see from the numerous reviews below we certainly do not hide the fact that we are principally a conferencing & meeting venue. A part of the 'Venues' brand of De Vere we are not and never suggest that we are a 'cozy' 4 star hotel - i am sorry if that was your assumption.
I would however have to agree with you on the pulled pork sandwich - delicious!
Kind Regards,

Travelers are raving about these East Horsley hotels

Camberley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Spent one night/2 days here for a work conference Feb 2013.
The location of the hotel is very nice, just north of Guildford in serene Surrey countryside.
The hotel effectively comprises 2 different sections - the modern conference centre section and the old Towers section. The Towers has character while the modern part definitely does not.
The bedrooms in the new section are functional but very small. Everyone in our group found the rooms either hot or cold, nothing in between. Beds not particularly comfortable nor were the pillows.
Food was reasonable without being exceptional, and the service was what you'd expect. Nothing outstanding. For a conference event the venue did the job but there unfortunately was no compelling reason I would want to rush back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Roamingranga
Thank you for your review and overall comments. Whilst pleased the conference was a success I take on board your comments regarding making it special - we focus on this but could obviously always do more.
Kind Regards,
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Very interesting set up for the hotel, I arrived late at night and was welcomed in a warm manner by the receptionist. The room was slightly on the small side (Management Centre) but it did the job! Room was clean and the bathroom was clean as well. Can't really complain, value for money! :-)

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Abi-Janet
Michael M, General Manager at De Vere Horsley Estate, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Abi-Janet
Thank you for your recent review - I would have to agree that Horsley is a great venue, whatever your reason for visiting!
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is a venue aimed at conferences and the room we were allocated was meant for a single delegate. It was very squashed for two. It is also noisy as the locks on the doors mean that they are impossible to shut quietly.
The welcome from the receptionist was cool if not downright wintery.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Lizzie071
Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry if on this occasion the venue and indeed service levels did not achieve our normal high standard. Whilst we are a conference and meeting venue at heart, I believe we cater well for guests across the spectrum.
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Horsley
Manor House Hotel & Spa
Manor House Hotel & Spa
#11 of 11 in Guildford
Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa

Been to De Vere Horsley Estate? Share your experiences!