“Great value, beautiful grounds” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
De Vere Horsley Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Horsley
London, United Kingdom
“Great value, beautiful grounds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

I booked a last minute £39 room for an anniversary break - it clearly said on the booking that the rate was for a room in the management centre, and not the Towers, so I was under no illusions.
Was pleasantly surprised - the room was compact, but beautifully clean and tidy, very comfy bed with 2 very plump pillows each (plus cushions), and had a door that opened on to the gardens (which were very well kept and tidy). The tv was small, but worked ok - and I don't really go to watch tv.
The staff were all friendly and efficient, and offered a leaflet on the history of the house.
We enjoyed walks in the gardens and around the lake, and the breakfast had a good variety, buffet style, and you could eat as much as you wanted.
Free wi-fi and the free coffee machines in the lounges were an added bonus. Reception areas welcoming and the outside seating by the pond very pleasant.
We had a look round the Towers after a wedding party had left on Sunday - fabulous house.
All in all, we had a great stay and would thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

I have stayed in a wide variety of hotels most weeks for the last 25 years. My current company impose a strict budget on costs of £55 b&b plus £15 food and drink; so I was amazed that I could book a De Vere hotel for £39.50 room only; then checked this for reference first. After reading the reviews I very nearly went for a b&b but 'took a chance' anyways.
I really can't believe that anyone could be even vaguely disappointed with this hotel. The room reminded me of a Crown Plaza or good Hilton; including a work station and FREE wi-fi. OK the TV only had 8 channels but who stays in a hotel to watch TV? The bed was wonderfully comfortable and I had a choice of 3 (three!) pillows. It was a hot evening and ok there wasn't any AC, but how many British hotels have? In typical British fashion I opened a window which (surprise surprise) cooled the room down.
After reading the reviews, the restaurant was way above my expectations but actually in line with other De Vere/Holiday Inn/Hilton hotels - I had a selection of breads and dipping oils for £3.50 and a stone baked pizza for £8.50, the beer was expensive at £4.20 for a pint of Boddingtons but I hadn't planned getting drunk anyway! There was a large selection of items for breakfast (hot and cold) for only £7.50...what's not to like?
Although the critics complain about it being a 'training centre' I saw very little evidence of gangs of maruding Salesmen so that wasn't a problem; the clientelle (on a Thursday night) was a mixture of businessmen like myself, romantic couples and families - all enjoying themselves.
I didn't use the pool or gym but did see one family who had used the pool and appeared to have enjoyed themselves; plus the grounds looked spectacular.
I use a lot of different hotels so generally trust Trip Advisor but this time the reviewers have got it spectacularly wrong!
This is my first and probably last hotel review - I'm far too lazy; but sincerely felt that the DeVere Horsley Park deserved someone like me to defend its honour :)

Room Tip: Ask politely and say Alan sent you
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank HarrisonaPhotos
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed here for the weekend as a group of 6. Yes, the rooms were small and basic, but we knew that when we booked, as we had stayed at other De Vere venues. Reception staff were friendly and helpful and the seating areas to make use of the free coffee were very comfortable. The weather was glorious so we were able to appreciate the grounds, and had a nice meal in the Duke of Wellington 2 minutes away on foot.
A very pleasant weekend.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

We stayed here on a late deal for £39 per room per night on a Saturday , we upgraded the room for £10 and got breakfast included. The rooms were basic but were clean and in good order, the staff seemed very helpful and the facilities were more than adequate. Bit disappointed that the hot tub was out of order but the pool, gym and sauna were all good. Didn't eat in the restaurant on the saturday evening as the menu was limited so we went to the Indian restaurant in the village (also nice). One complaint would be the noise overnight, we had the misfortune of having a room directly next to an external metal staircase which was used heavily throughout the night. The breakfast provided was lovely and as it is buffet style you can eat as much or as little as you like. We would definitely stay here again although I probably wouldn't pay full whack for it

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Llanelli, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

I've read through the comments about and would agree with most of them. This hotel is very much like a Travelodge and if I had paid more for the rooms it would have been a disappointment.

The site of the conference centre type hotel is within the grounds of Horsley Towers and this is a grand maison house with some impressive features such as stained glass windows and an array of fascinating masonry.

Our rooms, compact but not claustrophobic were clean and everything was freshly laid out for us.

Considering on our first night the place was full it was not noisy and the staff were pleasant and not stressed. They suggested an early buffet breakfast for us before the wedding party of 300 arrived in the dining room for their pre-booked meal!

No complaints - the neighbourhood is lovely with an abundance of thatched cottages and the Duke of Wellington, a 5 minute walk from the car park, serves lovely food until about 9pm on a Saturday night.

Room Tip: Check that breakfast is included if you want it and shop around for the best deal on prices
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
chester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

I'll make this as brief as possible, the grounds that the "management centre" are surrounded by are fantastic, peaceful and picturesc. That's the good bit, the Hotel is refered to as the management centre in place of a Hotel everywhere, it's one of the team building places most of us try to avoid! I can't stress how depressing it is.
The restuarant was ok, cooked breakfast was cold though, left under lights that dont seem to do a good job. Reception was well set up although when I arrived no external calls could be made. The room, 87 to be presise, small, dull and miserable, portable telly with only 4 channels, corby trouser press that was falling apart and a bed that was on roller skates! The bathroom was ok, clean and recently refurbed by the looks of things, now here is the one thing that really got up my nose,
Why do hotels insist on having automatic door closers that work by slowing the door so that it wont slam and make a racket but maintain them poorly!! In this hotel they work until the last 3 to 4 inches then let go!! result, BANG!!! Oh yes, this goes on until the small hours and then kicks off again.
I would not stay here again, the whole place reminds me of the above film, long corridors, no natural light, kid on a trike, ok no kid but you get my drift.

Stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank chester150

Travelers are raving about these East Horsley hotels

Worthing
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

Had a lovely stay and left very happy with our decision to choose Horsley Park as our weekend getaway. You can't go wrong booking with De Vere's summer offer as the service definitely outweighs the price. Staff were very welcoming on arrival, offering plenty of valuable information on the hotel including use of the leisure facilities and dining options. I would recommend upgrading as our room was very clean and spacious including walk-in shower, flat screen television and full length mirror. We were swayed to book Horsley Park over other De Vere hotels due to its leisure facilties and we were very impressed. The swimming pool looked very inviting and the cleanliness was outstanding leaving us with peace of mind to relax and enjoy a quiet swim.
With access to the beautiful grounds of Horsley Park, an evening walk is a must where the towers and crocquet lawns can be seen lit up in all their glory.
Overall, we had a very enjoyable and relaxing stay and would certainly book again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Guildford Harbour Hotel
Guildford Harbour Hotel
#5 of 11 in Guildford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,790 reviews

Been to De Vere Horsley Estate? Share your experiences!