“Amazing place for a Wedding”
Review of Dillington House

Dillington House
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ilminster
“Amazing place for a Wedding”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

My Friends got married here - great place. Ran smooth as clockwork - it was one of the best wedding I have ever attended and it was seamless. The drinks at the bar were reasonable. Myself and my wife but all our stuff on the bar bill and after a full day it was less than £40 which for a hotel is amazing...Rooms: we were in the mews - small room clean (very hot indeed) but fan was provided (I think the prob was we only had one window) other said they had loads more windows and it was fine ! Bath was made for a mouse I am six foot and barely got my knee to toe in the rest of my was like a massive concertina - or more like an elephant in a sink (depends which way you view it) suffice to say I would not have wanted to see me in that state and I will spare you the pictures :-) Food was excellent - in fact more than that - one of the best Wedding meals I have ever had. Service excellent - ground breathtakingly beautiful, and once again a silent night . As we had missed the Dr Who first episode they screened it on their cinema screen...Breakfast was bloody great and hearty...All in all a beautiful place in exquisite grounds...I would get married there ...though I got married in Vegas by Elvis......

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Winklerman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2014

We went to a friends wedding here at the weekend and it was a truly stunning event and venue. The views from the rear lawn across the countryside were amazing and there were lovely woodland paths nearby to explore. We stayed in the modern building called The Hyde which is often used for conferences due to the function space available in the lower ground floor and the large, fully wheelchair accessible bedrooms. The bed was possibly one of the comfiest I've ever slept on in a hotel and as I'm a light sleeper appreciated the fact it's single story so no-one stomps above you. The views from the small balcony space is wonderful and there is a quirky flap in the back door you can leave open to avoid that horrible overheated hotel room situation that usually occurs. I've knocked off a star for 2 reasons:

1. on a Sunday they only serve breakfast til 10 and checkout is 10:30 at the latest. We felt this is a bit mean for a Sunday, especially after a large celebration like a wedding.
2. The room had pretty much everything you could need apart from an iron. I had to wear an incredibly creased dress the day we left. I have no doubt that I could have got one if I'd asked, but we already felt pushed for time to make sure we ate and got checked out on time being a couple mins walk from the main house....

We however couldn't fault how they organised the wedding itself, they are clearly experts in this regard.

Room Tip: The Hyde section of accommodation is quiet and modern.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HannahVJones
Ilford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2014

A lovely evening spent at Dillington House, very impressed, beautiful décor. Had an amazing bedroom, lovely bathroom overlooking the front gardens, very peaceful. Breakfast was great, felt we were staying in a stately home. Receptionist lovely & helpful, gave us a list of restaurants in the area, was very informative. As hotel didn't offer food only a light snack that evening. Felt we were on holiday straight away so relaxing. The paintings & ornaments are lovely. Would definitely stay again & recommend to family/friends. Went for lovely walks in surrounding gardens, pretty waterfall ornament too.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade, lovely rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I stayed at this hotel whilst having business meetings in the area and have to say that the location, accommodation, service and facilities are excellent.
I received a very friendly and efficient reception and the room (7) had the best view you could wish for! The hotel and grounds are beautifully maintained and it is a very peaceful location only a few minutes outside of Ilminster.
Breakfast was excellent and the hotel provides excellent service for meetings and conferences.
I will certainly stay at Dillington House again and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent but the best views are at the rear
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Staffordshire, England
Reviewed June 23, 2014

The hotel is a stunning property with lots of history and original features complete with tranquil well maintained grounds.

The room I stayed in (4) was clean and fairly well appointed, but disappointingly quite small for such a grand property. The bathroom featured a vinyl wetfloor shower with what appeared to be a very old shower valve on the wall - all very reminiscent of a bathroom you would find in a care home.

It was also incredibly hot and whilst a fan was provided it was almost unbearable.

Unfortunately the hotel let itself down on it's services. Firstly I am told that breakfast starts at 8am and because I arrived quite late (5.30pm!!) they could not make any special arrangements for me to have breakfast earlier and then I am told that they do not serve food in the evening apart from soup and a salad - not really what I was expecting to hear.

I did receive a list of places to eat locally, but all are a drive away as the hotel is remote so not ideal if you just want to chill out in the evening.

Would I stay again - possibly for the grandure (I would want a better room) but I am fairly sure there are other hotels with better services and just as much history if you were to look.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank SlLVER_FOX
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband and I got married here on the 27th of July 2013. Kirsty and her team were very professional and helpful. I had lot of outdoor and indoor decoration and was allowed to start decorating the place 3 days before the wedding.
We stayed in Lord Northon room, which is a very spacious room and it is great for the bridal preparation. Kirsty stored my wedding dress for me for the last 3 days before the wedding, so my husband did not suspect anything.
we supplied our own wine and the staff was very good with it, they stored and handled it for us in the cellar and served it according to our instructions.
the food was excellent- cooked by Cameron, the Scottish chef!
The guests enjoyed the accommodation, the park and the gardens. The Hyde offers very modern accommodation and it is really worth staying in!
We stayed for the whole weekend and enjoyed the clay pigeon shooting at the Dillington House grounds.
It is a superb place for a wedding, the family and friends can all hang around for the whole weekend and people don't feel like they are in each other's hair :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarcelaPomphrey
Castle Cary, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2014

We stayed for one night on a Monday in June. On arrival we were greeted by receptionist Katie and were made very welcome. Although the restaurant wasn't open we were offered a ploughmans supper which we gratefully accepted and enjoyed. The bar was open and we enjoyed a relaxing evening with a drink and chatting to another guest. Our room was in the Hyde, was very comfortable and well equipped, and had a beautiful view overlooking fields. The wet room was just perfect, good design, spacious and safe even for those of us with limited mobility. The grounds of Dillington House were spacious, well maintained and very relaxing. This was a great venue and I look forward to returning.

Room Tip: If you have mobility difficulties ask for a room in the Hyde as it is easily accessed, level and spa...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilminster
Best Western Shrubbery Hotel
#15 of 17 in Taunton
The Five Dials Inn
The Five Dials Inn
#1 of 1 in Horton

Been to Dillington House? Share your experiences!