“George Inn.”

Ranked #8 of 12 Ilminster B&B and Inns
Frimley Green, United Kingdom
“George Inn.”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed at this old Inn at the weekend. . Our room was very clean and comfortable. They have recently been refurbed and "Mine hosts" were extremely helpful and courteous. Tea,coffee makings supplied. Breakfast was well cooked with a choice from their menu. This is run by a new couple and it is unfair to even consider derogatory older reviews as ther deffinatley do not apply now. I will stay there again with the greatest of pleasure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dibbers_13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I went to the George with two friends to celebrate my birthday. The food was excellent and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

We have been looking for a good pub locally which does great food.

I think I've found it :D

• Stayed March 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I have just returned home after 4 glorious days at the George what a nice place such friendly staff . Just taken over . Great breakfast excellent room evening meals my wife would return for the pork wellington . Will return soon both for business and pleasure . Hope they make it work they deserve every success . Thank you for a great few days.

Big rog and Mary

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is our local, but we haven't eaten here for a month or two now. However, our recent visit found changes to the menu, both in format and content. Was pleased to see there had been some menu changes, as the previous menu had been in place for at least three years, the specials rarely changed and the whole thing was becoming a little tired.

Refreshing to see some new dishes on the menu now and hopefully the new management will update the menu more frequently now. Would be nice to see seasonal changes and inclusions. Would also be good if the specials board changed more frequently too.

The atmosphere is pleasant and the service friendly and helpful. The new dining chairs are very comfortable and pleasingly the tables have been sanded and resurfaced.

On a personal note, I'm hoping to see the toilets facilities be next fot an update, as they are becoming a bit tired and I really hate having to use multi-use guest towels to dry my hands - even though new management has now increased the number available.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Orchid4841
Suffolk
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the George on business on Valentine's night (alone, ironically) Even though I was on my own, I was made to feel very welcome and food was sorted for me regardless of being fully booked. I must admit that I have stayed here previously and wasn't that impressed (especially with the cleanliness of the rooms) but a friend in Somerset assured me that a change of landlord had taken place and things were better.
As I work within the hospitality trade myself, I was somewhat sceptical, but decided as the room rate is still very good to give it another try. I was glad I did. The carpets had been thoroughly cleaned, the infamous wonky loo seat was gone and the bedding appeared to be brand new. Little touches had been added like fresh snowdrops in the rooms, lovely new bedside lamps and so on. The bed seemed to be more comfortable (although last time I stayed in a different room) and the breakfast was excellent.
The only thing that lets this pub down is its external appearance, but don't be fooled- the inside really is lovely and importantly (for me anyway when I'm on the road on business) the food has been excellent on both occasions and they have free WiFi. The new landlord has made quite a few noticeable changes already and I watch with interest to see what improvements will be made next. A definite one to watch.

Room Tip: There are only three rooms- I stayed in one of teh doubles but the landlord told me there were two d...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Kate W
worthing west sussex
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Wow- vowed I wouldn't stay here again after last time - but sooo glad I did! The new manager is both welcoming and accommodating. He's only just taken over, but already things are improving here. I'm sure it's going to be better still when I next return- and I will!. Reasonable prices, a friendly approach and super food will draw me back!

Room Tip: Not a lot of choice here - I didn;t experience any noise issues. Let them know if you want double be...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank musicalears
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I was on my way back from Cardiff and wanted to stay close to Taunton to see a couple of days cricket. As I was on my own I didn't want to pay the earth and there was nowhere nearer to Taunton available except this old pub in a pretty village about 20 minutes outside of Taunton.

The room was quite adequate for my needs, with a dounle bed and good-sized en-suite bathroom.

I ate in the pub the first evening and the food was good and reasonably priced,

The owners and staff were very friendly and helpful.

Only bad points: 1. Shower was not powerful and had a mind of its own about what temperature the water should be! 2. I prefer a breakfast buffet rather than have to ask for everything. I was offered Cereal OR cooked breakfast; both didn't seem to be an option, but I didn't ask as I wanted cooked. There wasn't any fruit available.

Room Tip: Only 3 rooms so probably not much difference. I was facing the road, which wasn't noisy, but I...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilminster
Best Western Shrubbery Hotel
#5 of 12 in Ilminster
Square & Compass Inn
Square & Compass Inn
#4 of 12 in Ilminster

Been to The George at Donyatt? Share your experiences!