“Perfect!”

Ranked #4 of 12 Ilminster B&B and Inns
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Perfect!”
Reviewed February 28, 2012

My partner booked this for a weekend getaway after I placed the information in his inbox!! On paper the Square & Compass was perfect for us, as we are a couple that loves to walk our two active dogs all day whilst we are away, have dinner close by so we can both have a glass or two of wine & a quiet room to sleep in as we tend to all fall asleep early!! In life it was also perfect.
When we arrived we were so impressed, even in February the place looked lovely & welcoming. We were greeted by the owners and felt instantly at home. We had room number one at the Stables which was ideal as there was a grassed area next to us so the dogs could pop out should they need to.
The room itself was beautiful, clean, airy, & large. The bed was the biggest thing I had ever seen and so comfortable. The bathroom was breathtaking, beautifully done, with a bath and wet room & again very clean.
We decided to eat in the pub that night.
The pub is my type of place, old fashioned country pub, with a great sense of comfort & welcoming. The staff were lovely really friendly & helpful. We asked to change tables but only so our dogs could be out of the way as they are unnecessarily friendly & love to say hello to everyone passing which can be unwanted.
We sat it a lovely cozy, romantic corner & relaxed with a glass of wine or two. That night my partner had the mixed grill & I have the Rump steak. The mixed grill was huge, much to my dogs pleasure! The meat was all cooked beautifully and obviously fresh. My rump steak was served on a hot griddle & cooked to perfection. The meat was so tender, one of the best I have ever had. For dessert I have the chocolate fudge cake which I would definately recommend & my boyfriend had the crumble, which beat him!!
We had an amazing nights sleep.
Breakfast was also beautiful, nice sized portion, fresh, cooked perfectly & served with a friendly smile.
The food was so lovely we decided to eat at the resturant for the second night also. I had the lamb, which was out of this world & my partner had the seabass, highly recommended.
All in all it was a perfect stay, gorgeous food, wonderful accomodation & great staff.
We want to say a personal thank you to the owners who took time to chat to us and make us feel at home. They made this trip for us & we will be back. Thank you all of you at the Square & Compass.

Room Tip: The end room has a grassed area outside so are ideal for dogs or children. Dont worry if there is a...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Bristol
Reviewed January 31, 2012

This was our 2nd stay with Chris and Janet and their staff and despite the busy festive season they were as attentive, friendly and helpful as previously. The room was delighful with plenty of space, comfy beds, hanging space, Tv etc and the bathroom was almost as big! The walk in wet room/shower room was a treat with loads of clean towels and cosmetic goodies with plenty of hot water for that wonderful power shower. The restaurant menu was as excellent as our last trip with a vast selection of freshly cooked food at such reasonsble prices and breakfast the following morning again offered a vast choice. The surrounding countryside was so peaceful at such a hectic time of year.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Liskeard, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2012

People make a place! The owners and staff at The Square and Compass could not have done more to make us feel welcome. The rooms are very warm and comfortable and the proximity to the excellent pub made the weekend for us. The food in the pub (including the breakfast) is very good - though beware, portions are super big! The surrounding countryside provided good walks and the trip to the Jurassic coast is easy - so this is a good all round venue in terms of position. We loved it - and just wish the pub were closer to where we live!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2012

This is a brilliant pub and hotel. My partner, young son and myself stayed just after Christmas and were totally impressed with the food, the service and the room, which was immaculately laid out and prepared. The landlord and staff were friendly and helpful...nothing was too much trouble. This is a great place to eat and stay and I have no hesitation in recommending it to others...book early though, once word gest around I expect people to be beating a path to the door!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank paul j
somerset
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Shame on you Amandajane of Dorset, The Square and Compass has not had a cat for at least five years!
This pub is a favourite of ours - it has everything going for it. The staff are always friendly, the beer is always excellent and the food devine. What more could you wish for , maybe somewhere to stay ? Yes, they even cater for that with lovely fresh rooms which are very spacious and delightful and a fantastic breakfast served in the morning. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fiona W
Poole, Dorset.UK
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I read the one bad review before I booked and was naturally wary but all my fears vanished on arrival. I'm inclined to agree with Chris the owners comment that this is a deliberate act by a rival as my experience here could not have been bettered and there wasn't a Cat to be seen! Friendly reception, superb meal (more than I could eat) comfortable and roomy with great walk in open bathroom/shower area. I couldn't fault it and will definately stay again.

Room Tip: My room (no2) had a huge bed and although there was Rock music in the outlying venue I heard absolu...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank mojodave50
Ilminster
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Myself my wife and two friends recently visited the Square and Compass for a meal. We all had something different of the menu and each meal was superb.
All the staff were very polite and helpful, and the atmosphere was very relaxing.

We would all deffinately visit again

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends