“Good food”

Square & Compass Inn
Ranked #3 of 11 Ilminster B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I ate an evening meal here while staying at Somerset B&B just down the road.
I never enjoy eating on my own but I had a corner table here which as the tables have panelling behind, made it the perfect little corner to sit and hide away while I enjoyed my meal.
I ordered a mushroom stroganoff which was very rich and simply enormous and far too much for me. The fillet steak also looked delicious.
Excellent value at just over £10 for my meal and drink, very friendly staff and clearly very popular with locals which is always a good sign.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Gemma O

Reviewed September 20, 2011

We decided to have our daughter's wedding here in August - one of the best decisions we ever made - the personal service & sensible advice offered (& accepted!) was second to none - Chris & Janet Slow were awesome & with their team made it a fantastic day from start to finish - for this review I am concentrating on our stay at The Square & Compass - we arrived a few days before & began to take over the stable bedrooms - delightful - very modern & understated - with all possible amenities - the beds huge & comfortable - the bathroom/wetroom was excellent - breakfast was relaxed & we had several evening meals in the pub - always enjoyable with good quality food well-prepared - I have been told the beer was good as well! I would not hesitate to stay here again when in the area ...

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SANDAW
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Wonderful service and great value for money. Clean and comfortable. Excellent pub grub; draft Guinness a bonus!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Martin C
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed in a double room, the room itself was immaculate, super huge bed which was comfortable, lovely bathroom with bath, walk in shower/wetroom, lots of storage for clothes etc for those staying longer than the one night we stayed for.
Family stayed in 4 of the other 6 rooms and all agreed it was lovely.

We returned to the Pub on Sunday evening by about 11pm and the Landlord had hot food ready and kept the bar open and friendly til we were ready to hit the sack.

Lovely place, would definately recommend!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We had a overnight stay on our way to Cornwall, on arrival a member of staff ,who was very pleasant, showed us to our room ,which we found spotlessly clean the room
and bathroom were very large and very comfortable,the room also contained two
easy chairs and small table . The night we stayed was a music night in the barn, and i must say no noise was heard by us at all ,and we enjoyed a good nights sleep.
we had our evening meal on the terrace and we found that very enjoyable. The breakfast was what i call a all day breakfast' so much it lasts all day ,overall we can honestly
say we would stay there again, good accommodation, good food,and pleasant staff

just one footnote although the room is wheelchair friendly,the car park is pebbles and there is a step into the bar area which is not good news for wheelchair users,
we were informed we could have had our meals in our room if we wished ,but still great place to stay

Room Tip: wheelchair users please check with the hotel first