“First impressions good, but downhill from then on”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Eagle Tavern

Eagle Tavern
Ranked #9 of 32 Restaurants in Ilminster
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chard, United Kingdom
“First impressions good, but downhill from then on”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

Visited Saturday evening. A bright clean decor greets you, with plenty of space and light. Then the decline started. In quick succession the following happened: - my partner reported that the female toilets were in need of attention, my starter arrived with greasy fingerprints all over the plate, and my daughter's garlic bread was pretty anaemic. To be fair the crab cake starters were very nice, but the main course was disappointing. My partner's steak looked like it had been washed on a white cotton cycle, my lasagne was not freshly made and my daughter's burger bun was soggy inside. The staff were efficient rather than friendly. All in all, it was pricey considering the issues and certainly poor value.

• Visited May 2013

Romford, United Kingdom
“Great place to stop en route from Cornwall back to London”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stopped Saturday afternoon en route back home from a trip to Cornwall, this is the 2nd time we have done this as we enjoyed it so much last time.

I had a ploughmans which was delicious, bread was warm and crusty, presentation was lovely and I enjoyed it so much.

My husband had the fish and chips which he really enjoyed too.

I would definately recommend stopping here to break up your journey.

• Visited April 2013
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Eagle Tavern - a real gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Richard and Staff have a real gem here, lovely atmosphere, food and a wonderful play area for those long summer evenings with friends and children - a real oasis. We are regulars and always look forward to a visit - the outdoor patio area in the summer is a real bonus too. Kids are made to feel welcome too.

• Visited August 2012
Dover, United Kingdom
“Loads of food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

the food is lovely, lots of it, steak and sides on 1 plate, chips and salad or veg on another...
Staff is sparse but managed with some delay which is nice, as places can rush you in and out. It does feel like a chain pub though not a local. hence only 4 stars, but would definitely use them again.

Visited April 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Standard pub fayre - good, but not exceptional”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

This was my second visit to the Eagle in 5 months, and after a pretty unremarkable first visit which I did not review, I made a mental note to ensure I got a review out for visit number two.

Food menu - nothing to complain about here, all the usuals are here, all come presented well and in simply massive portions (especially the meat based meals). I enjoyed my veggie burger, but unlike the scampi we had a week prior in the Castle Inn at Weymouth here you could tell it had been fried deeper and longer, such was it's taste. Nobody had anything bad to say about the food other than they couldn't finish the portions and the staff were all to be complemented on their service.
Not sure though I'm particularly thrilled with their description of some of the puddings - attempting to sell some of the ice creams as they are sold in "plastic" shapes. Humm.

The Eagle do let themselves down with the menu when it comes to food allergies - I saw no attempt to (let alone offer) which meals contained gluten, nuts and dairy products. If you have any of these allergies be aware. For example, on my first visit I asked if there were any dairy free puddings (there are not) to be met with a bemused look and then the offer of a gluten free cake. Not the same thing, chaps. Not the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, there's isn't really a point to complain or criticise. But neither is there a case to particularly praise or single out this establishment. If you want standard, uncomplicated pub fayre and not have cause for complaint then there is no reason to not frequent here. However, there are better places than the Eagle in the vicinity - for example, the Howley Tavern, which I feel our worth patronage first.

• Visited April 2013