“Good pub grub”

Ranked #9 of 35 Restaurants in Ilminster
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Had a pleasant meal here this evening. Very fair value for money, good service and well cooked and presented food. It was more pub grub than fine dining but I don't mean that in a negative sense - that was exactly what we were looking for. I had the gammon (very good) my wife the fish pie(she really enjoyed). The salad garnishes my party had were a little disappointing. Not in terms of the salad ingredients, but bizarrely they were served bone dry - a little dressing would have gone a long way! Surroundings were pleasant enough, if a little austere - it looks to have been recently refurbished so they may have to yet get some accessories and mic macs to make it feel a little more cosy. Overall though, it was a good pub meal - unpretentious, tasty and fairly priced. Quite a broad menu too so good for picky families. Can't do half stars - but would go for a solid 3.5

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have tried to eat here before, stopping one lunchtime in December, but there was a function on and they were full.
This time we stopped for a quick lunch on a Saturday.. The bar and restaurant are all in one, and was pretty empty. We ordered a jacket potato each. The service was ok though not particularly friendly. When the meals arrived they looked good, with lots of garnish - until we began to eat. It was soon obvious that they cook then freeze the potatoes after then reheat them, and as a result they tasted awful. I paid £6.50 for mine, my companion paid a little more. We each also had a soft drink. Altogether it was around £17.00 for the two drinks and the potatoes. Frankly the cost was high, and the quality not there. I was very disappointed. The venue was otherwise well presented though because it is so large and was fairly empty the atmosphere wasn't brilliant.. Parking is good, with plenty of space.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Me and my partner have recently moved into the area, about one min away from the Eagle, so im sure it will be our local! We absolutely loved the service, and the meals were delicious! although pricing is not the cheapest, it is very reasonable and the portions are very huge, so you definitely get your moneys worth! The one and only issue we seemed to have, was that the restaurant was pretty dead - there were only two other tables when we went (which isnt a bad thing having the whole restaurant pretty much to ourselves). But It was sooooo quiet, we were worried to talk much as other people would overhear, so couldn't properly relax. Maybe some advice for the owners would be to have some background music to drown out the silence!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

would recomend the sunday carvery very nice and fresh veg and meat was very tasty. Good value for money.

1  Thank crazy87
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We visited the Eagle Tavern for a family lunch between Christmas and New Year. My father had traveled over to see us from Spain, so we wanted somewhere easy to find that wouldn't let us down. On the strength of other reviews we decided on the Eagle, and have to say it was a fantastic choice. The menu was varied and the food was tasty and well presented - a cut above the average. Service was good (polite and very quick), in pleasant surroundings, and the prices very reasonable. Highly recommended.