Review Highlights
A great place to visit

Barrington Court is a beautiful manor house set in wonderful gardens. There are craft workshops on... read more

Reviewed yesterday
alwtrm2016
London, United Kingdom
Another National Trust gem

It’s great to see how different each National Trust property is. This is one such property but so... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
Trebrivanman
Exeter, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews wolf hall national trust lyle family nt properties the kitchen interesting house empty rooms artisan shops the main house tv series stable block second hand bookshop white garden gardens are beautiful long gallery strode house scones
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Barrington Court has great gardens, stables and large period house. The kitchen garden is amazing and full of life. Very inspiring. The formal gardens are immaculate and well restored features. The house is very different to any I've seen before and full of stories. The grounds had plenty of space for my toddler to let off steam.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

The gardens in thisSomerset National Trust property are breathtaking.I can't make my mind up between the kitchen garden or the white garden as to which was my favourite. I could have sat and contemplated all day in any part of the grounds. There are two options for eating. A tearoom by the car park and a restaurant with a lovely terrace which is in part of the house. The only fly in the ointment for me was the house. The rooms are empty of furniture and I found this very odd. It was like I was a prospective buyer having a look around and for that reason it seemed to me to lack atmosphere. If I was in this area again I would go back but I wouldn't bother going in the house .

Reviewed August 27, 2013

National Trust property so free entry to members. Visit can be enjoyed in a few hours. Beautiful gardens and grounds to stroll around and wonderful views. Plenty of seating to admire the views. Can get busy during holiday periods. House okay but not an awful lot to see. Lots of stairs to climb. Refreshments on site and reasonable prices. Workshops to see and second hand books for sale.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We really loved this NT property and fully appreciated the reason for it being empty of freestanding furniture and artefacts. The panelling is beautiful and the story boards and info in each room made Lyle's story come alive. I greatly prefer this to a property which is "overstuffed" with things which were not necessarily part of the property when it was occupied .I also liked the commentary in the" laundry" room by a former evacuee. I bet those rooms have some stories to tell !! Loved the white garden - in my opinion one of the best of it's kind, and the calving pens which are really authentic

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Not knowing what to expect we went with an open mind. The views of the house from a distance were beautiful. Provided with a simple leaflet at the visitors' reception and an explanation we set out through the gardens which, although in late August, were still attractive and showing some of their greatness, as warranted by the renowned designer. Having enjoyed the gardens we found our way into the house which was well signposted. We were greeted warmly and given a couple of sheets with basic information to view the rooms. The fact that the majority of the rooms were empty allowed us to imagine the possible historical events over half a millennium. We positively loved the fact it was empty because we were not 'captured' by one particular period or family. Having truly enjoyed the rooms we made our way to the restaurant and were shown to a table. The staff were polite and helpful. The food was delicious. Nothing was a problem. We observed how visitors were treated when the restaurant was full and the way they reserved tables for those willing to return; it was all so well done. Then we visited the workshops and were bowled over by the ceramics; great potter - beautiful designs and certainly not pricey. Such a wonderful visit which we recommend to all and sundry.