“Jalantuumene: gentlemen”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Food is good. I was the only person in the restaurant, April is not the best time of the year. Choose the menu. Authentic Puglia spices, veal, good pasta, very good dessert. Wine was very good. Service was nice.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

In an attempt to bring some credibility to this review, I would like readers to know that I live in New York City and consider myself a foodie with a very discerning palate. I have travelled and eaten my way around the globe and this review is written with confidence from a fellow food lover.

Let me begin by stating that chef Gegè Mangano is a true "gentleman!" If you are searching for an exceptionally special dining experience and are passing through (or within 2 hours of, for that matter) the spectacularly charming hilltop town of Monte Sant'Angelo in the Gargano Promontory of Puglia's northern spur, you would be remiss not to visit Li Jalantuùmene. This gem sits in a postcard ready piazza and delivers authentic regional dining with personalized service by the chef himself. Let's be frank, Puglia has amazing food, but what Gegè delivers is an elevated dining experience that adds equal parts ambience, service, and refinement, without sacrificing the authentic experience visitors like myself are usually searching for in fine dining. My newlywed wife and I opted for the degustation menu. We loved everything, but the highlights included the Le Sagne (think short Paccheri/Rigatoni pasta) in a fave cream sauce with pink peppercorns - a pure artistic reflection of the region on a plate. For those with a sweet tooth, impossibly fresh ricotta with chocolate chips and red wine reduction sauce - how something this simple could deliver so far beyond expectations left me speechless.

Do yourself a favor and GO!

Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is the worst meal I have had in Italy after 20 years of coming here on business and holiday. We felt as if the oh-so-smiley chef/owner saw us coming from a mile away. The portions were miniscule and overpriced. Our young children were left so hungry by their order of ravioli (6 smallish pieces for €12) that we had to order them another ( there was nothing else remotely child friendly on the tiny menu ) so that we ended up paying €48 to feed our children one dish... My wife's orrechiete was inedible and she could not eat more than a bite. Any other restaurant would have asked what was wrong and offered an alternative. The bill of €92 was the largest we had for a meal in two weeks and for the least amount of food (24 pieces of ravioli, 2 mains, 1 coke, a coffee, a glass of wine and a bottle of water). My lamb main was good but spoiled by the cost and the misery endured by my wife and kids. In a region famed for simple, good value food, this place triumphs only for it's pretentiousness and crazy prices. We left hungry and angry. Avoid at all costs.

14  Thank sebgoes
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Most of the restaurants in this town look like they serve masses of tourists. We followed the signs in the middle of town to this restaurant which is on one of the small piazzas slightly away from the main tourist streets but still within easy walking distance. What a surprise awaited us! We were able to eat at their lovely outdoor umbrella-shaded patio because the weather was perfect. We were served by the chef's wife and the chef came out to help us decide what we might want to try for lunch. We shared a perfectly prepared pasta as our first course and then I had roasted lamb with delicious roasted potatoes all presented in a cute little roasting pan. My husband had the lamb entrails served sausage style on a bed of local greens. The meal was absolutely delicious and the service first class. Yes, it was more expensive than we usually pay for lunch but we felt that the meal was a truly unexpected pleasure in this cute walled city on the south side of the Gargano peninsula. If this place were in Tuscany, everyone would be raving. Definitely a good reason for taking a detour to Monte Sant' Angelo. If Michelin searched more widely for restaurants to consider for their star system, this one would definitely be in the running.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

We were looking for a restaurant recommended by a travel advisor friend and arrived too early (about ten to eight) and of course it was closed. A chatty gentleman looking rather like Arthur English (a reference only likely to be understood by Brits of a certain age) was lurking in the piazza and encouraged us into his restaurant nearby. Li Jalatuumene. Although we entered with slight foreboding, what we encountered was remarkable. Very small but beautifully appointed to Michelin standard plus, impeccable service, and the best food we have had in Italy. I am not excluding certain famous multi-starred restaurants we have eaten in in more northern cities. The chef-proprietor's technique is to bring high Michelin/Gault Millau standards to local dishes and local ingredients and the results were a revelation. My own favourite was various elements of lamb's offal wrapped in its intestine - I admit, not for the squeamish or overly imaginative though Marc Meneau used to do a version at L'Esperance - but mouth-wateringly delicious. This man certainly knows how to cook. He also produced a bottle of Nero di Troia which could have been a fine Burgundy which to be honest I never thought possible. And the price? Less than €70 for two for the whole meal, aperitifs and digestifs included. Astonishing!

1  Thank Robin D