“Lovely warm apartment in great location......”

Chilton Apartments & Cottages
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chilton
Chilton Apartments & Cottages
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed for a mini-break in the Churchill apartment for 4 nights in February. The apartment certainly has a Wow factor and the main bedroom is huge! It was lovely & warm and had everything we needed. Sheila at reception was very helpful in guiding us to local amenities as we'd forgot our satellite Navigation. The booking process was nice & simple and the place was easy to find. Special mention to the nice cafe at the local garden centre (great breakfasts and such a naughty treat!) just across the road. Would highly recommend a stay here.....

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Andy J

Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is the first time I have left feedback on Tripadvisor or any other websites for that matter but felt strongly that I should share my experience.

I stayed at Chilton Apartments for 2 nights on January 25th and 26th. This was to celebrate my niece and brother’s birthday who are both children. Here is how it went:

I checked Tripadvisor and read positive reviews about the apartments so decided to book. I emailed the owner Giles Stevens and got a comprehensive response back quite quickly which was great. I paid in full prior to our arrival and received an email prompting me that check-in was between 3pm and 8pm, there was also an attachment with this email to say if I was going to be later than 8pm I should call and let them know but unfortunately I did not read this until much later. I emailed the owner to let him know that I should get there by 8pm or shortly after if the traffic was bad. I also apologised in advance for any lateness and thought this was sufficient.

On the Friday night I left London at 6pm to get to Chilton by 8pm but unfortunately I got lost and ended up getting there at 8.50pm. Just before I got there I got a call from the owner to find out where I was and he mentioned that I should have called to let them know I was going to be late so I apologised. When I got there a very angry looking lady called Sheila was waiting for us. I realised she was not happy that we were late so quickly jumped out of my car to apologise. I went to shake her hand but she was very hesitant. Eventually she shook my hand and said you are an hour late! No hello or greeting! She also said that she had to keep reception open for an extra hour just for us! I was really shocked at her very rude tone. I had no idea the reception was kept open just for us and felt really terrible so apologised profusely for being late and explained what had happened. I thought this would be the end of the conversation but she was not ready to let it go! She said the email they had sent to me had indicated that if I was later than 8pm I should have called at which I apologised again as this was my mistake and I should have read the email properly and called! I also highlighted that in my email correspondence I had said I might be late.

She STILL did not let it go and carried on informing me that she was just an employee and how this had really wasted her time! At this point I felt a little frustrated and said ‘I have apologised over and over again I’m not sure what else you would like me to do!’ And she STILL did not let it go and said ‘you should have called’ in the rudest manner I have ever experienced!

She then proceeded to show me around very quickly and angrily and pointed out that the heaters were electric and very very expensive and that if we were going to go out we had to switch them off or put them on very low temperature. Her tone was so patronising! Given that we were paying £120 a night (and the weather was freezing) I felt that was an inappropriate comment to make! But could not say anything as she would not let me get a word in! Sheila then proceeded to storm off without saying goodbye!

At this point the rest of my family had parked their cars and were coming into the apartment. The kids were quite anxious at the sight of her storming off and began getting upset that there was a problem and we had ‘done something wrong’! This was very frustrating as it was their weekend and I felt that it had started off terribly! There was no need for this unprofessional attitude and even though I had made a mistake in not calling (and apologised more than once!) as a manager Sheila should have been much more professional!
The next day when we left the apartment to go sightseeing and I switched the heaters off as instructed by Sheila but when we got back the apartment was freezing, which made it very uncomfortable especially as we had small kids.

I saw Sheila once again as we were leaving to go back to London and she was fine with us then but that was too late! And I never received an apology for the awful attitude!

All in all the apartment was clean and the area was nice but I would not stay there again purely because of the awful customer service! I have read all the reviews and they are positive but I think good management is about managing any situation and not just offering good customer service when things are going right!

My colleagues and I tend to travel a lot for work and this year we will be going to Oxford on a few occasions for a few nights stay throughout the year. I would have booked Chilton apartments because the apartments are large enough to accommodate our large numbers but I will most definitely take my business elsewhere after my experience!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank BarF16
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Very pleasant three night stay, all mod cons and plenty of space,just misses a tumble drier for the rainy days otherwise the apartment has everything you need. Located in a quiet village with a local pub and a small supermarket a 10 min drive away. Oxford is a 30 minute drive along the A34, the park and ride is a frequent service and a cheap option for parking. Just make sure when you go to return that you get on the bus going in the right direction. Both park and ride buses have the same number but one goes North and one goes South !!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Family of five stayed in this fabulous apartment for two months while taking classes at Oxford University. Manager was outstanding and incredibly helpful with bus route, driving map, groceries, etc. Our three kids loved her dogs and the walks around the village. The bus stop was only a few feet from the apartments, which made it handy on rainy days. We loved having the kitchen and clothes washing machine in the apartment. We will stay here, again and again.

Room Tip: Best Value: Buy the 10 trip / journey bus pass from driver on the bus or get an Oxford Bus Travel ca...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Rexanne G
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Had a fab four night break in one of the cottages and the space worked really well considering we have an active 2 year old and an exploring 13 months old. Very clean and tidy and the garden was a bonus for sure as it was a really sunny weekend. Thanks for having us and we'll be back for sure...see you soon!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Jesterpoo7
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Stayed here with wife, daughter, and mother-in-law over the May Bank Holiday. Having debated between this and a regular hotel, we really appreciated having the separate rooms and the kitchen. They also provided a travel cot for our daughter with bedding and everything, which really cut down on our packing. Service was very friendly and helpful.

I'd highly recommend this place for families visiting the area. The only knock against it is that the refurbishment is already looking a bit dated and tired. But this is far outweighed by the other positive sides to this property.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank hovetravellerUK
Reviewed July 24, 2011

After our tedious drive from Sunderland, we were greeted by Sheila's friendly smile and her three fab friendly dogs......(I want Winston). Sheila then took me on the tour of The beautiful Hawking apartment........Sheila and Giles have done a fantastic job renovating this beautiful 500+ year old building. The rooms are large, airy and are tastefully decorated. The accomodation literally is a home from home - even fresh free range aggs are available. The beds are comfortable and the kitchen is very well equipped.
The price for the apartment per night worked out cheaper than two travel lodge rooms - and there were seven of us staying - as it was my brother in laws wedding - my wife is an original Wantage Girl!!
I would recommend The Chilton Apartments to anyone and everyone!!!!!! It is a hidden Oxfordshire Gem!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank leenbeckie

Been to Chilton Apartments & Cottages? Share your experiences!