This is the first review I have written on Tripadvisor. The reason I have felt compelled to write one is it was very much a stay of 2 halves:
Good half: Beautiful place to stay - gorgeous setting and good service in the accommodation department. Lovely room - had requested an upgrade as special occasion which was kindly given. Lots of snugs with gorgeous fires to relax and read the papers by. Beautiful walks from the pub.
Not so good half: However, the food in the evening was really poor. Lacked flavour and really crudely served. Maybe they was a different chef on this weekend as other reviews are very positive about the food. But it was a great disappointment as expecting high quality gastro pub food, and having read such great things about it. I'm sorry to say it wasn't even good pub grub.
Sadly, this would prevent me recommending The Old Swan & Minster Mill as an overall weekend break, unless you're happy to drive to surrounding pubs for your evening meal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An historic Cotswold inn and boutique hotel, the Old Swan & Minster Mill is privately owned by Andrew Brownsword Hotels. Set is the picturesque village of Old Minster alongside the River Windrush, the 15 bedroom inn is stunningly romantic. A further 37 contemporary guest rooms and suites are available in Minster Mill. Family rooms and dog friendly rooms are available. For those looking for more privacy and space, the adjoining newly restored Swan Cottage offers three ensuite bathrooms and a private garden. Dining in the 600-year-old inn feels like stepping back in time with stone floors, beamed ceilings, roaring log fires and delicious gastro-pub food based on fresh, local, seasonal ingredients with a modern twist. Over 65 acres of gardens and 2 miles of fly-fishing on over a mile of the River Windrush ensure a tranquil and picturesque setting. Children have a wealth of activities. There is a tennis court, badminton, gym, croquet, petanque and spa treatments available. Located between the medieval town of Burford and historic market town of Witney, the inn is a short drive from Blenheim Palace and Bicester Designer Shopping Village. Oxford is 20 minutes drive. Nearest train station Charlbury is 15 minutes by taxi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and Hotel.de so you can book your Old Swan & Minster Mill reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Old Swan & Minster Mill Hotel Witney
- Old Swan And Minster Mill
- Old Swan & Minster Mill Minster Lovell, Oxfordshire