“wonderful country hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Horton
Loch Awe
“wonderful country hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

My daughters and l stayed at the French partridge over the weekend, we had traveled down from Scotland and what a lovely welcome we got from Robin on arrival, we where
Showed to our 2 bed roomed suite on the top floor, the suite was lovely, warm and clean. Beds where very comfortable. In the bathroom was a roll top bath and free standing shower and a great supply of towels.
Breakfast was traditional English with 2 eggs of your choice a real hearty breakfast to set you up for the day. We where sorry we didn't get to eat in the restaurant as it all looked fabulous. Robin was helpful throughout our stay nothing was to much trouble as where all the staff.
Great hotel and great location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank FionaGM

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Went to the French Partidge for our first year anniversary, I had booked it well in advance, however we were the only couple that Monday night.
The Partridge is stunning from the outside, so I had expected a little more inside, it lacked flair and imagination. A beautiful house deserves a beautiful room, I expected candeliers, candleabras and the like.
The staff were attentive, the food prices are definately 'special occassion' priced but I was not completely dissatisfied with the food.
The presentation was good and the service very quick, the foie terrine was very good, could do with a little more bread for the amount that you got and I did find some chunks of liver, which were a bit off putting.
The cod main was very mild tasting but cooked well, it had a ham cracking, which was basically a small piece of bacon on top.
The chocolate desert was nice, nothing to write home about, ive had and made better desserts.

I ordered a bottle of Proseco, which was out of stock so offered Cava for the same price, I appreciated the guesture.

In all, I would not go again, it was an average experience and I have wanted to go for many years but I doubt ill return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jet_settersBedford
Swindon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Whenever reviewing a hotel or resturant in the past I have endeavoured to be as positive as possible as I appreciate how difficult it is to please the general public. However, if I were the owner or proprietor of this establishment I would be very concerned about the many opposing views of past guests, some complimentary and others extremely critical.
Our first impressions on arrival was that this was a beautiful old building adjacent to an old Norman church and overlooking countryside. However before we were even taken to our room we were asked to pay our account for the two nights which we had booked. Our room was very clean and decorated in a french style however when we tried to open the windows, as it was very warm, we found it impossible as the sash cords were broken and the window frames covered with many layers of paint. The only way that we could get any fresh air was to wedge the window open with a toilet roll! The shower was also broken with more water gushing out of the top than through the head. It was a wonder that the ceiling above was not damaged. General maintainance seems inadequate and also safety did not appear a high priority with double adapters in use rather than increasing the number of powerpoints. Breakfast the first morning was served by a very friendly waiter but was a disappointment and not of the quality expected. Bacon appeared to have been precooked and then warmed, tea served in a cup with a tea bag rather than teapot, just two slices of white toast with no enquiry as to our preference for wholemeal or white. All in all we felt this was a very expensive two nights and a great disappointment especially as it was booked to celebrate my husband's birthday. I'm afraid I have had much better stays in national chains - would not recommend.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Telopea

Travelers are raving about these Horton hotels

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was the second time I booked the whole hotel for a party. And once again all my friends all raved about The French Partridge. Apart from its charm and its perfect location next to the village's beautiful Norman church, what makes a the French Partridge a great hotel is above all its staff and the friendliness of its owner Sue. Having tried most of the neighbouring hotels I can safely say that this is the best of its kind in the area.
I strongly encourage everyone to try it if they travel in the area.

Room Tip: The suites offer great value for money for families but all the rooms are nice and most of them offe...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hugues D
Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Visited the restaurant today for my fathers birthday, and was very disappointed.

The room we sat in has no sense of character and was really noisy.

It was too hot so they opened the door, but there was a big problem with wasps, had to send a glass of wine back as one fell in, also caught another in another glass. We asked if they could close the door as we were constantly swatting the wasps away and then did and put a fan on instead.

The prices were different to the website and there is a 12.5% service charge already added on.
The service wasn't good. We had three different people serve us, one asked if we wanted vegetables to on the side, even though we had all ordered a Sunday roast, which obviously already comes with veggies. The veggies were served with a plastic cover on to keep warm - not very professional. We had to ask for salt and pepper, and the normal sunday roast sauces.

Overall not impressed, the place looks fab from the outside but such a disappointment on the inside.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

My first visit to this restaurant, booked with a Groupon voucher! I have to say delighted with the overall ambience and the friendly service, all the ingredients for a lovely evening.
I was however, left disappointed...I think there were five choices of mains on the menu with the offer, and I initially made the choice of the suckling pig dish. The waitress somewhat embarrassed, informed me that this was unfortunately unavailable as they were just changing the menu in the next day or two!!! So as a second choice I chose the lamb shank. Sadly this was very disappointing, overcooked and quite tough, very poor. A real shame because in every other aspect we enjoyed the evening, but I won't be going back...

2 Thank TeamPreen
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We too used the Groupon offer to try out the restaurant. The restaurant is very nice but found it to be too quite with most of the people whispering, so did not feel it created a relaxing experience. We had ordered squid which was £10.95 and all you got to share between 2 people was a small handful of rings. We both had suckling pig at £22 and again all you got was a 3" by 3" square piece of meat with 4-5 chips. A small glass of coke was £3. Whilst the environment was nice the food and drinks are far too expensive.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Sheilpa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horton
Hopping Hare
Highgate House Hotel
Highgate House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Creaton
Kettering Park Hotel and Spa

Been to French Partridge? Share your experiences!