“Wonderful holiday”

Gisborough Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Guisborough
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 24, 2010

Having enjoyed a stay at the hall last year we decided to book a five night walking break for our silver wedding and try out one of the feature rooms.The room,( the South Room), was wonderful - spacious , light and peaceful with a magnificent view from the huge , ivy encrusted windows.From making the reservation to checking out all the staff were excellent. We had discussed our dietary needs,( wheat and dairy free) beforehand with reservation staff and ,though there were a few initial hic-ups in the restaurant, by the end of the week kitchen staff were anticipating our needs very efficiently and the chef did a great job of adapting dishes where required.The "special" menu was extremely useful and showed that our requests had been taken into account.The restaurant staff were all excellent - friendly and helpful. Special mention goes to Chris and Sam who showed great initiative at one breakfast when the brown gluten free bread we had brought went missing.The food is sublime with interesting combinations of flavours and superb presentation - even the sandwiches in the packed lunches we ordered were delicious.It all added up to a wonderful holiday.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2010

Dear kenthom

I am delighted that you stayed with us for a 5-night walking break in the fabulous South Room, a memorable way to celebrate your Silver Wedding Anniversary.

I am very pleased that my team looked after you so well and provided for your dietary needs.

We have enjoyed a number of repeat guests this year, many who had stayed on a short break last year and have returned on our great value 5-night holidays which can be found on the hotel website.

I hope that you will return again in the New Year for a break, we will look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 23, 2010

We went on a two night deal through travelzoo. Lovely hotel, an older original part which I think has the feature rooms. we were in the newer extension very nice rooms, although quite a walk from reception if you have walking difficulties.

The rooms were large bright, clean and well furnished. The bed was very comfy, although blankets not duvets which is now usually expected.

We went to get way from building work going on at a neighbours and were a little suprised to see out of the bedroom window our view was building work going on!!. Although this did not cause too much noise.

As reviewed before the food was lovely, we ate one night in the restaurant and one night in the bistro both very good but my favourite was the bistro. The breakfast were excellent.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful especially the waitress Sarah.

All in all a very enjoyable break, would recommend to friends and definately would go back .

1  Thank sxi1

Dear sxi1

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor, I am really delighted that you had such a pleasant stay with us and would definitely visit in the future.

The “building works” is the installation of bio-mass heating which should be operational during December. I have been most impressed with the contractors who have observed the designated working times and kept noise and disturbance to a minimum.

There seems to be mixed reviews on duvets versus blankets?, I believe that within the next 12-months we will be implementing duvets in the hotel?

Thank you once again for writing, we would love to welcome you back and are planning a fabulous deal in January/February.

Reviewed October 22, 2010

We booked a two night stay at Gisborough Hall through Travelzoo and arrived on the Tuesday really looking forward to a relaxing break. At reception we were warmly welcomed and directed to our rooms. Unfortunately, we did not receive the complementary champagne included in our deal and so we decided that we would mention it later on when we went down for drinks before dinner (more about that later).

The room was fantastic, very luxurious and we loved the fact that there was a separate bath and (very powerful) shower. We had booked to have dinner at 8pm and so decided to have a ride out to Whitby which was only a 30 min drive from the hotel. Even though it was raining heavily, Whitby looked lovely and is somewhere we would like to visit again.

On returning to the hotel we got changed and went down for drinks before dinner. It was at this point that we realised that, at 27 years old, we were the youngest guests by at least 15 years. This didn't bother us immediately as we both have well paid jobs and are lucky enough to be able to afford to go away to nice hotels on a fairly regular basis. However, once we sat ourselves down, we were ignored (that is the kindest way I can put it) for about 40 mins whilst everyone else was served drinks and had their dinner order taken. At first we just thought we were being paranoid but, as time went on, we both becames increasingly upset that others who had arrived after us were being shown to their tables. I have to say however, that when we were eventually shown to our table at about 8.25pm, the waiting staff were fantastic and we began to feel much more at ease.

On the second day we decided to put the experience the night before behind us. However, my other half (who is self-employed and wanted to use the internet whilst we were away) had to go and ask reception for the third time if someone could come and have a look at the broadband connection in our room as it wasn't working. In the end it was simply a faulty cable that was the problem but it took 24 hours and for us to ask three times before it was sorted out.

After a day out in Durham (very nice city) we again got ready for dinner, hoping that tonight's experience was very different to the night before. However, unfortunately it was the same (if not worse) and we were eventually asked if we would like to order at 8.15pm (we were sat on our own in the lounge at this point as everyone else had been shown through to the restaurant). We had had to wait 25 mins to have our drinks order taken and when the waiter brought them to us he did not bring us any nibbles even though every other couple in the lounge were tucking into olives and nuts. In addition, there was still no mention of the complementary champagne even though we could see several other couples being brought theirs before dinner. We did not dare ask at this point! Again, I have to stress that, in the restaurant, the staff were fantastic and a special mention to Chris(?) who chatted to us quite a bit between courses.

All in all we thought the hotel was lovely and the deal we got was fantastic, however we both agreed that if we were to visit the hotel again, we would probably have to take our parents with us just so that we could be treated (at nearly 30 years old) as though we were adults.

Dear MissS1982

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble in writing such a detailed comment on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

Firstly may I thank you for the positive comments relating to your stay with us and the service that you received inside the restaurant from our fabulous team. I am most concerned however to read your comments relating to the pre dinner service that you received.

We have a wide demographic of guests at Gisborough Hall and in the 8-years that I have managed the hotel since opening in 2002 I have not received other negative comments regarding “ageism”, however have taken very seriously what you have written and asked that my team to investigate these comments. To have been left waiting for 2-evenings without a drink, acknowledgement or menus is quite unacceptable and is clearly not the standard that we would expect to operate. I would like to apologise sincerely that this has occurred.

Should you return to Gisborough Hall in the future which I really hope that you will, I am sure that you will not find repetition.

Reviewed October 22, 2010

This is our second trip tp Gisborough Hall this year - the first was for my wife's 60th birthday and this was for my birthday.
The staff were excellent and the food in the restaurant was as good as any of the top restaurants we have visited in the UK.
We can recommend this hotel for couples and parties of friends.

Dear paisleypark10

May I wish you a belated “Happy Birthday”, I am absolutely delighted that you and your wife have both celebrated your birthday’s with us at Gisborough Hall this year.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your birthday meal and that the staff looked after you so well.

I trust that you will join us for many more special occasions in the future, thank you very much for taking the time to make your comments.

Reviewed October 21, 2010

We have just returned from a fantastic stay at the Gisborough Hall. I cannot fault any aspect of our stay. On arrival we were greeted by the receptionist who was very friendly and efficient. Our room was on the 1st floor of the Woodlands Wing and it was lovely. It was large, beautifully furnished, well equipped and immaculately clean. Our meals were included in our package and we dined in the restaurant on both nights. We have eaten in a lot of very nice restaurants but the food here was amongst the best we have ever had, we were very impressed. The service in the restaurant was excellent, the staff were very friendly and attentive and even remembered our names. Breakfast was also excellent with an extensive buffet and full english breakfast cooked to order. The Hotel also had a lovely comfortable lounge area for pre/post dinner drinks and a wine bar and Bistro. There is plenty to do in the local area, we spent a day walking on the moors taking in the sights from nearby Roseberry Topping, a walk into Guisborough to look at the Priory and a vist to Whitby and Goathland. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel it is a beautiful building, in a lovely location, with great food and most importantly lovely staff - what more can you ask for!

Dear clairelou123

Thank you for your fabulous comments; I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at Gisborough Hall.

I am so pleased that the hotel team delivered such fantastic service, we endeavour to care for our guests in a personal manner, I know when I stay in hotels that it is the small courtesies that I remember.

The hotel makes a super base for short breaks, during your two-night break I see that you walked a lot and managed to see a lot of things. Many of our guests comment on how much there is to see and do in the area, and many come back to the hotel time and again.

Thank you once again for your comments; we would love to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed October 19, 2010

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Gisborough Hall, this our second short break there this year we stayed in March as a treat for my birthday and I just had to visit again, the staff are brilliant, the food excellent and it is somewhere special.
We visited Beamish, definitely worth a visit and the angel of the north deserves a closer look to see the sheer scale of it.
Highly recommend Gisborough Hall and I look forward to my next visit.

Dear bilti

What a pleasure reading your 2nd review of Gisborough Hall, you said that you would come back to stay, I did not expect it so soon!

I was pleased to read that both the food and service had been so good and that you had the chance to visit Beamish. I think Beamish is one of the areas best kept secrets: I have been very impressed every time that I have visited.

We are looking forward to your next visit! Maybe to celebrate your birthday next March?

Reviewed October 14, 2010

My wife and I recently stayed for 3 nights DBB, at Gisborough Hall, to get away from the stresses of work. We have not been to any McDonald Hotels before, but having read the reviews on Tripadvisor (which I always do, when going anywhere), we decided to go. Firstly having looked at the website, for prices, its always best to look around for better deals, and prices. I booked through Superbreaks, and booked Executive Room, DBB for £407.00, hotel website was around £100+ more. Having said that it is a wonderful hotel, and when you first drive into the grounds it looks majestic in the wonderful surroundings.
The Staff, were lovely, and polite, and on booking in we found we had been upgraded, to Feature Room "Miss Bruces" Room which when we opened the door, had a lovely deep bath at the end of the bed, (also bathroom with shower).
Every time we walked past the reception, staff always said hello, and asked if everything was ok, and would answer any questions you had. There is a lovely seated reception hall, which you can just sit and relax, and also used as reception room, before evening meal.
You are taken into the Dinning Room, by polite staff, and I would say that the food we had on all 3 nights was beautifully presented, and loved everything that was placed in front of us, the only down side I would have to say about the menu, over the 3 nights was the slight lack of options i.e the menu`s were similar most nights with the 3 nights the same as the first, so there could have been a bit more variety. That said, I have no other complaint about this hotel.
We had a drive on our first day to Goathland, where they filmed "Heartbeat", about 30-40 min drive, small village, and apart from the village green and small shops, what was the pub, and garage, not much more. If you are interested in the Second World War, it is worth a visit to "Camp Eden" which was a WW2 German POW Camp, and now a museum, about £5.00 pp to get in, but go at weekend as schools go during the week.
And lastly it is worth a visit to the Beautiful "Castle Howard", around £12.50 pp to see house, and gardens.

So thanks to the staff of Gisborough Hall, for a lovely relaxing 3 nights stay, your a credit to the Mcdonalds chain of hotels.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2010

Dear BillingeBoy

I am so pleased that the stresses of work were alleviated by your break at Gisborough Hall. Staying in Miss Bruce’s Room with its pedestal bath certainly sets the scene for a relaxing stay.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your meals in Tockett’s Restaurant: We are celebrating today being recognised by Tees Valley Tourism as one of their Highest Quality Assured Restaurants, and being awarded Quality Assured for the G Bar and Bistro.

I have noted in previous reviews, our staff is our biggest asset, polite and caring and a true reflection of the values of Macdonald Hotels, I am very proud of them.

I have also noted your comments regarding the dinner menus, an autumn/winter menu will be implemented within the next 10-days and we are reinforcing our daily specials to capture the best of seasonal ingredients, whether these are grouse from the moors or fish from Whitby, ensuring variety for our dinner guests.

I was interested to read of your experiences in the area, from Eden camp to Castle Howard, we are so fortunate to have so many interesting places to visit on our doorstep, we hope that you will return soon to visit more.

Thank you once again for your kind comments on tripadvisor.

Kind Regards
Kim Yardley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Guisborough
Raithwaite Estate
#3 of 4 in Saltburn-by-the-Sea
Crathorne Hall Hotel
Crathorne Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crathorne

Been to Gisborough Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!