“Sunday Lunch”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Guisborough, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We have Lunch here most Sundays and find the Hotel,service and food to be top quality. The hotel and grounds make it a special place.
Unlike many top class restaurants, the lunch offers not only good quality meals but the portions are considerable.
A nice choice of wine to top things off.
All this at a very reasonable cost.

Room Tip: Book well in advance.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Huttongate

I appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback on Sunday Lunch on tripadvisor.
It is a pleasure to read such comments from someone who really appreciates what we are delivering. Sunday lunch I agree is first class and excellent value for money.
I do hope that you return on many future occasions.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Polish first
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed here a few weeks ago for the wedding of some family friends. The wedding was well organised and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food (usually wedding breakfasts are not great but this one was really tasty and that bit different). Everyone had a lovely day. The breakfast was also really good. The sausages, bacon and black pudding were of a particularly high standard. The only downside? We booked the room well in advance and were told that it would be at the wedding rate of £115 (good value as it included breakfast) but on booking in we were told we had to pay an additional £15 per child. We have two children. We did not get a bigger room than those without children, the children slept on camp beds and they are only small so could not possibly have consumed £30 worth of breakfast if they tried! I would have happily paid extra had I been told in advance but even then I think that this price was excessive. I did check at reception that a mistake hadn't been made - it hadn't!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank EmmieLouH
Dear EmmieLouH

I appreciated your comments regarding the organisation and quality of the wedding reception that you recently attended.
I am disappointed and apologise that my team did not make you aware at reservation stage of the charges for families. We do charge £15 for each child; this is for an extra bed and breakfast. I have passed this to my reservations team and reception manager to ensure that in future greater clarity is given.

hartlepool
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We went the other Sunday for afternoon Tea after the Spring Fair they were holding at the venue. We were a little early so we sat on the terrace in the sunshine lapping up the lovely surroundings. The afternoon tea was lovely and we ate all of it. We could not fault it at all and the staff were really friendly and helpful throughout.
We will definitely go back again to sample more of their lovely food
Thanks

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank andyquinn
Dear andyquinn

I am delighted that you attended afternoon tea at the Spring Fair. Over the past 12-months we have spent some time in developing our afternoon tea offerings and improving both quality and service.
Available daily, afternoon teas are served from 2.00pm – 6.00pm, these may be taken in the inner hall, drawing room, and terrace or if a high table and straight back chair is preferred, in Chaloner’s Restaurant.
We look forward to you returning, either for tea, lunch or dinner.

Crowborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night whilst meeting old colleagues and it was a good place to eat and stay. The room was in the Woodlands Wing, which was a walk from the main part of the hotel, it was large and comfortable, not too hot and very very quiet. We ate at the Challoner restaurant, which was very quiet too, but I guess Tuesday night was not the busiest of the week. The food was enjoyable and served superbly at a leisurely pace. The highlight being the 'Yorkshire' cheese and biscuits. The lounge was nice to relax and chat. Breakfast was a mix of buffet and cooked to order; the 'house' marmalade was incredibly tasty. It is probably 10 years since I last stayed here and hope it wont be so long until I am back again.

Room Tip: The Woodlands Wing is a bit of a hike from the main part of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Lawrence S
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear Lawrence S

I would like to thank both you and your old colleagues for choosing to meet ay Gisborough Hall.
I am delighted that your stay with us was so comfortable and you enjoyed the dining in Chaloner’s 2 AA Rosette restaurant. We have offered a local cheeseboard for many years, the cheese is of exceptional quality and I believe Yorkshire and the North East are world class producers.

The marmalade is from South Africa and made by the Chaloner family who have a farm and preserves business there, I agree with you on how tasty this is, it reminds me of my Mothers traditional thick cut marmalade, I buy it from the hotel to use at home.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Marske, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

We had our wedding hear in November, every single part of the venue was absolutely amazing and the food was beautiful . Nichola the wedding coordinator was fabulous a real asset to the company and could have been more helpful

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Melanie W
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Melanie W

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on tripadvisor.

We appreciate your lovely comments regarding your fairytale wedding in November, and thank you for chosing Gisborough Hall.

Nicola is a consummate professional and is indeed an asset, she guides our bridal couples through this most important and amazing day of their lives.

Please come back to see us soon and much happiness in your marriage.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

We booked dinner bed & breakfast for one night but wished we had booked for another. From the moment we arrived the staff were very warm & friendly. We booked for our daughter & son in law to join us for dinner, but cancelled at last minute, only then to rebook again. The staff were very understanding and couldn't have more accommodating. The gin cocktails were fantastic! Dinner was superb! Stunning dining room & lounge, extremely comfortable and welcoming. We had a room on the new wing which was very comfortable. If I had to be a little critical, but only a dash, there was some mould in the corner of shower which was a little off putting, but I really am nitpicking here! The breakfast buffet was one the best we have had in any hotel, and there have 100s in the past! It was lovely to see local staff of all ages, who very warm & helpful. We are already booking our next trip back. Thank you for a lovely stay

Room Tip: Only tried the new wing which was very comfortable
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DiHitchen
Dear DiHitchen

I was so delighted to read your comments especially those regarding you rebooking to return to Gisborough Hall.

My local team are passionate and friendly, the food is the finest in the area, I am glad you enjoyed this.

My housekeeper has a cleaning programme for bathroom seals, I will ensure that she is keeping to this programme.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2014

A lovely country house hotel set in beautiful grounds. The staff were very helpful and extremelly accommodating. My room was large and well appointed, with a majestic large desk. A few dodgy moments. There was a fire alarm (nobody's fault but not ideal), the pillows are a bit too squishy, and the wifi is not strong. Food in the bistro was well priced and delicious, as well as having a good range of drinks. The hotel is quite sqiggly in design, being so old with extensions, so expect to get a bit lost from time to time. I found the wedding area by accident (it looked lovely but was not where I wanted to be). Overall a pretty decent stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Daffsnewell
Daffsnewell

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor following your recent stay at Gisborough Hall.

I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will return. We are introducing a pillow menu, pillows are feather down, and in the wardrobes we keep firmer fibre pillows and also have non allergenic pillows if required. We just need to tell our guests!

We hope that you will soon return.

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guisborough
Raithwaite Estate
Cross Keys By Good Night Inns
Wynyard Hall
Wynyard Hall
#1 of 1 in Billingham

Been to Gisborough Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!