“What an absolute treat”

Gisborough Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Guisborough
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I booked a spa day here on Easter Sunday together with Sunday lunch and afternoon tea. The menu was interesting and the food was delicious. From start to finish the staff were very friendly, helpful and professional and made us both feel as if we were the most important guests in the whole place. The girls in the spa were great and I think I actually dropped off at one point I was so relaxed. Nothing felt rushed and nothing was too much trouble, even carrying our bags to the drawing room so that we didn't spoil our nails! It really was worth every penny and I will definitely be recommending it to everyone. Well done to all the team.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear SarahY78

I am delighted that you had such a fabulous Easter experience at Gisborough Hall, enjoying your spa day with Easter Sunday lunch included.

It was kind of you to make such positive comments about my team, both in the spa and the hotel. The treatments the spa (Revival Zone) provides are of extremely high quality and the therapists are not only highly trained but very personable.

We really hope that you will return soon, or, if you are local to the hotel? Why not consider becoming a member of the Beauty Club? Please call Kelly or her colleagues on 01287 611510

Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,538)

Reviewed April 21, 2014

After 12 hours of driving from Eastbourne to Whitby, we were exhausted and the whole area was covered in "Sahara dust" so the marvellous Yorkshire moors were unseen! This hotel loomed up out of the mist like a huge ship in the middle of the ocean and as it is 4* we felt it may be too expensive for us to stay that night. However, some talking later and a good price was arranged, after which we were taken to Room 230. We promptly got into our PJ's and ordered some lovely sandwiches from room service, which arrived promptly although were outside of the time room service usually operates so we were impressed. The next morning after a wonderful night's sleep on the huge firm bed with gorgeous linen we were still enveloped in fog so decided to stay another night as the hire car we had was diesel and had allowed us a bit extra savings on fuel. We were moved to Room 224 for which we had to pay another £10 although this room was not so nice as the previous one but good nevertheless. Originally we were shown another room in the Woodlands Wing which had a bed in an alcove and reminded me of what I imagine a prison cell would look like! So we declined that one! The hotel was getting very busy as it was now the weekend and they had a very large party arriving which accounted for all the shuffling about.

However, this did not detract from the magic of this place. The first morning I walked in the foggy grounds and passed the hotel's herd of llamas on my way to Guisborough Village which is quaint with friendly people. Whitby is nearby.

What can we say about breakfast? It was without a doubt the most wonderful breakfast we have had anywhere in the world. There was so much choice, from creamy porridge in little pots with berries, honey and nuts to eggs benedict, full English breakfast (buffet on the Saturday), cheeses, meats, pastries, cereals, oatcakes, fresh fruit and purees, all kinds of breads, preserves and wonderful South African marmalade (a pot of which we took home later!). We were told by other guests that they absolutely couldn't eat again for the rest of the day after this feast and we had to agree! No wonder they have an award for their breakfasts.

We didn't try the spa but feel sure it is superb - maybe next visit.

The lounge is quiet (with the proverbial roaring log fire!) and a selection of newspapers ensures a nice relaxing time in comfortable chairs and sofas.

The staff are wonderful and well versed in looking after their guests as it should be and although run by MacDonalds Group, they remain independently owned by the Chaloner family who we understand are mostly based in South Africa where I used to teach many years ago. The family returns from time to time to keep an eye on the place (and the three ghosts, who are friendly we're told!) so this accounts for the fact that the hotel is still well managed and has not become a faceless chain.

The only one small criticism we have as experienced travellers is that they have taken on board the new pricing system which is now used by chain hotels of charging what they feel the rooms would bear on a daily basis which makes planning a return visit sadly very difficult. This policy should be reviewed as it mars what is in fact a wonderful experience.

Wherever you go in the world please visit this hotel and experience for yourself the stressless and pampered feeling you will get on walking over their threshold.

Also we did not experience dinner here but understand we could have used our diners' card which would have meant an even better saving in these fiscally challenging times!

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet but Room 230 is a real star!
3  Thank Professor Y

Dear Professor Y

I would like to thank you for taking the time and trouble in writing a comprehensive review of your recent stay with us at Gisborough Hall. I had the pleasure in sharing your comments at our weekly team management meeting this afternoon.

I was delighted to read your review, and so pleased we made you feel so comfortable, to the extent that you extended your stay. Thank you for your breakfast comments, the breakfast in the Macdonald Hotels group is renowned for its great quality.

We are managed by the hotel company, I am proud to have worked for them for many years, it is a management contract. The family who own the hotel are local to the area for 500 years: more recently however, they do have interests in South Africa, we are proud to serve their preserves and olive oil which are also available for sale and of outstanding quality.

Daily pricing is prevalent in all major hotel groups and independent hotels, we would be delighted to negotiate a price now and hold this price for a future visit? Hopefully on your next visit, you will have the opportunity in enjoying both our spa and our evening dining facilities.

We hope that you will soon return.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I have just returned from a fantastic Birthday break at the Gisborough Hall Hotel with my family and relations.We had 2 bedrooms which were absolutely beautiful, from arriving to checking out you could not fault anything, all the staff where 1st class, rooms spotless and food superb. I would also like to mention Byron a member of staff who really went out of his way to be helpful.

Room Tip: Room 127 Family room
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Roy S
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear Roy S

A very happy birthday to you! I am delighted that you chose to spend this with us at Gisborough Hall with your family.

I am so pleased everything was to your satisfaction, from arrival to departure, with great food and service.

Byron is the most passionate and helpful of individuals, we really like it when he gets this recognition.

I hope that you will stay with us in the future.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

My wife and I stayed three nights ( Thursday to Saturday 10-12th April 2014) Dinner, B&B as part of our 53rd wedding anniversary; splendid choice it was too. It was a great pleasure to be there, the accommodation ( Room 217) was excellent with the very nice touch of a fresh bag of cafetiere coffee every day. The food in the restaurant was quite superb matched by the attention to detail by the staff. Specific mention must be made of Bryon, one of the restaurant managers, who ensured that we lacked for nothing. He made what were great dining experiences, memorable.
There were a couple of weddings whilst we were there but we couldn't hear any noise from them.
No down-sides, not even the 217 steps it took to reach room 217. We booked through Secret Rooms but, on checking out, was told that Macdonald Hotels now have something similar on their web site, Whichever way it was great value for money and a fantastic stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor were very spacious with a slight raised ( 2 steps ) indoor siting area wit...
2  Thank excllr

Dear excllr

Thank you for posting this fabulous review following your short break last week.

I am very pleased that my team made you so comfortable, especially Byron who has been greatly missed over the last few weeks as he has just embraced paternity!

Thank you for your comments, we are very happy that you have no downsides to your stay, we look forward to you returning.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Just returned from a 5 days cycling break. Lovely hotel. Room 112 while dated met all our needs.Two restaurants which allow for variety of food. Staff very good and not job tied in customer care, a special mention for Kirsty who was excellent and Bryan who made our stay complete. Many thanks. We will return.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mike E

Dear Mike E

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your cycling holiday with us at Gisborough Hall.

Whether road or mountain biking, we have so much to offer, I am so pleased that you will return.

My team, particularly Kirsty and Byron will be chuffed to bits with your remarks.

Many thanks

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Needed a quality night away , local to home.second time I have stayed here and with an upgrade in the offer to a beautiful room overlooking the grounds, was pleased to really relax in fantastic surroundings.We ate in the informal bistro which was very good and the following morning weHad a wonderful breakfast , with a real attention to detail.

Room Tip: Try for a room overlooking the front grounds , a stunning view.

Dear kevw22
Thank you for your kind review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Gisborough Hall for your 3rd stay! There are more and more guests who are fairly local who stay with us for comfort, great food and a little pampering.

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Just returned today from a one night break at this lovely county house.
My husband booked this break for my birthday and I didn't know where we were staying until we arrived.
What a pleasant suprise I got. The hotel is in a beautiful location and is perfect for those looking for a quiet peaceful surrounding.
From the moment we arrive and checked in,the staff could not have been better. Nothing was to much trouble. We stay in hotel at lot and I have to say the staff here are by far the best we have encounterd. They were like a slight army and kept everything clean and tidy in public areas with minimum fuss.
The room was located in the Woodlands Wing and was very nice and spacious. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows.
We had to ring reception as we had a noise that sounded like a fan and it was disturbing us. James dealt with this problem in under 5 minutes. Steve also stood out as an excellent staff member and nothing was to much trouble for him.
A nice touch is the choice of ground coffee and fresh milk in your room.
We ate in the restaurant and the food was delicious. The sirloin steak was excellent.
Breakfast was a feast. They offered all the great classics from Scottish kippers to full English and continental breakfast.
Overall experience was excellent and we would certainly be returning in the future. This was booked via Travelzoo on a DBB deal.

Room Tip: We were in the Woodlands Wing which is the new part of the hotel. If you want more character then yo...
1  Thank Dorothy M

Dear Dorothy M

A belated happy birthday to you!

I am so pleased your husband chose to celebrate your birthday at |Gisborough Hall.

I am delighted that you found your stay to be so comfortable, from the fantastic staff who work here, the spacious rooms and the ambience and cuisine in the hotel.

I do hope you will soon return.

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Guisborough
Raithwaite Estate
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
Grinkle Park Hotel
Grinkle Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Easington

Been to Gisborough Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!