“Coldest day of the year ”

Gisborough Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Guisborough
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hexham, United Kingdom
“Coldest day of the year ”
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on 12th February as a pre birthday treat-the weather as we arrived was horrendous -wet and windy but as we walked in the hotel there was a beautiful log fire. Our room was in the older part of the hotel and although spacious the bathroom was the coldest I have ever been in-I understand the windows are not double glazed but it certainly needed more heating than just the towel rail.
Our meal was pleasant but unfortunately the log fire was not lit in the restaurant and this made it again feel very chilly.
This is a lovely hotel but perhaps needs to be visited in the summer

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Judith T
KimYardley, Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Judith

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to give us your feedback regarding your stay.
I fully accept your comments about parts of the hotel being cold. Unfortunately being a very old grade 2 listed building it takes a while sometimes to heat up and we are in the process of reviewing the bedrooms in the Old part of the hotel with regards to the heat insulation. We currently have secondary glazing in the bedrooms and some bathrooms, but still have some to do as part of our annual refurbishment plan. Unfortunately, the fires in the Restaurant are not in operation at the moment but your comments regarding these will be discussed with the owner upon his next visit.

We do hope you return again to the hall, perhaps in warmer months.
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Polish first
Durham, England
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed one night on business. Breakfast was exceptional, the staff were very polite and knowledgeable. Dinner was good, served by polite staff. It was a long walk to my room but the break through the gallery made it interesting and pleasant. My bedroom was spotlessly clean, exceptionally comfortable and very quiet. The bathroom was well equipped and again very clean. I slept very well. It was ghastly weather so I did not see any of the grounds.

Room Tip: Mine was a double, down long corridors but worth the walk
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sheila

I am so happy that you had such an enjoyable stay here. It is such a delight when guests take the time to give such positive feedback and please be assured all will be fed back to the team.

We do hope you return again, perhaps when the sun is shining and you can take a walk in our peaceful grounds. .

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2014

The hotel building is stunning as is the aroma from the log fires when you enter the foyer.
We booked a feature room. The room was large with a very comfortable bed. The room was a Dinner Bed & Breakfast rate and included a decanter of sherry, soft drinks, slippers and chocolates. The chocolates never ever arrived despite asking reception.
The evening meal on the first night was good. Breakfast on the following two mornings and our second night evening meal were terrible for a 4 star hotel. The food was good but it was the waiting staffs apparent inability to listen, interpret and execute requests that was frustrating.
Breakfast is a mixed buffet/menu affair. At our first breakfast some of the buffet food had ran out; we had to wait on orange juice and cereals. My wife ordered scrambled eggs with her hot breakfast but her dish arrived without them. Our second evening meal was another demonstration of the waiting staffs inability to work as a coherent team. My wife requested a variation to her main meal by removing the shellfish and samphire. The order was discussed and taken by what I assumed was the head waitress, who should have already been aware of the dietary requirement from our initial hotel booking. When the meal was delivered it arrived with both shrimp and samphire – 4 star hotel service, absolutely no way. The head waitress did offer to address the issue but this should never ever happen; a bottle of wine was also offered as an apology.
Our final day breakfast was worse than the first. No orange juice, no milk, no cornflakes, delays (15minutes) in taking the hot food order.
Overall the restaurant does not work as it should. As I have stated the food is good and very well presented but the team do not work together. The head waiter/waitress should be in the restaurant all the time and taking charge of events, instead they buzz around between the bar, rest areas and kitchen. The waiting staff should verify that the plate contains what has been ordered before accepting from the pass. Dietary requirements conveyed at the time of booking should be recognised by the hotel on arrival at reception. This isn’t difficult and should be part of the process for a 4 star hotel.
Would I return here? Probably? The overall ambiance of the hotel is great and it is in a fantastic location for exploring the Yorkshire area. But please, please, please carry out a review of how the restaurants are being managed.

2 Thank ICR46
Dear ICR46

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay. I am so sorry that your experienced such a poor show in the Restaurant in regards to the Breakfast and dinner service. We pride ourselves on our MacDonald Scottish signiture breakfast and 2 rosettes for our food and fine dining service and clearly there have been some communication issues both at Breakfast and Dinner which need to be addressed with the team and our new Restaurant Manager when she starts next month, due to being without one for the last few months.
I would be happy to speak with you personally myself regarding your stay and the issues your have experienced.
Please do call me on 01287 593999 and I hope we can restore some faith back in the hotel
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Stayed here 9/2/14 to 11/02/14 and must say the Hotel and the staff and food are nothing short of superb. The rooms are very clean and the en suites are finished very well with lovely power showers. The staff cannot do enough to make you feel comfortable and are all very well trained and all dining room staff were polite and made sure every thing was up to standard. The food both both at breakfast and evening meal was cooked to a very high standard and very well presented.
My only down comment is that the drinks a little on the pricey side but other than that cannot speak highly enough of this Hotel and A BIG WELL DONE TO THE MANAGEMENT AND STAFF.

1 Thank chris s
Dear Chris S

Thank you for your lovely feedback regarding your stay here at the hall. I am so happy you had such a great stay here and do hope that you will return again. In regards to the drinks prices, we do carry out regular competitor checks to make sure we are in line with other similar venues , however we are due to have a review again next month with Macdonald hotels and our owner and all comments will be looked at .
Thank you again for such glowing feedback.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Would have rated Gisborough Hall 5 stars Excellent.
Beautiful hotel and grounds, welcoming, clean, fresh and bright. Food well prepared and presented and very enjoyable.
However, we were very disappointed because the Revival Zone spa facilities were closed for refurbishment and staff were attending a training day. We chose Gisborough Hall because of the spa and only became aware of the unavailability when we asked to use the spa a few hours after checking in. Also it would help with the ambiance and relaxation in the main hall if staff could choose shoes that are quite on the lovely wooden floors.

Dear Daniel S
Thank you so much for your feedback, I am delighted to hear such positive comments regarding our hotel. However, I am so disappointed that you weren’t communicated too when you booked regarding our Revival zone being closed. This was planned months in advance for the training and roll out of our new product, Elemis. All departments were briefed, so this shouldn’t have been an issue, but clearly there has been a communication breakdown. I will be addressing this with our relevant managers to ensure this doesn’t happen again in future.
We do hope you have the chance to return to Gisborough hall and make use of our newly refurbished Revival zone. Please do contact the hotel directly for any queries.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Terrible! Booked in on business. Was not able to get a table for 1 hour in the bar, when I did the starter took a further 30 mins to arrive! It was incredibly poor and massively over priced, after a further 20 mins of waiting for the main I decided to take it as room service. It arrived a further 20 mins later was a terrible chewy steak! The waiting staff told me openly that the restaurant was prioritised over the bar, but there was no space left in the restaurant..!

I spoke with other guests and they were all disappointed and on business. This hotel is completely missing a trick!

Prices were exorbitant and the quality of the food was terrible, the room was cold! I could not check out fast enough and would never ever stay again!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank LW12014
Dear LW12014
I am so sorry you have experienced such a bad stay with ourselves, I can assure you that we are deeply saddened by the poor service you encountered and all relevant departments have been addressed and action plans devised to ensure our standards do not drop again. We pride ourselves on our customer care and attention and clearly we have let you down. That night in question was an exceptionally busy evening but under no circumstances do we place the restaurant above the G bar and Bistro and I can only apologise for the waitress who told you that, as this is clearly wrong. In regards to your steak, we are currently in the process of reviewing our meat supplier as there have been some other comments on the quality too over the past few months , which we hope to iron out , due to our commitment to good food and good service. Our prices reflect other competitors of a similar rating and we regularly do competitor checks to make sure we are not pricing ourselves out of the market. However, we take on board all comments and will be re looking at our menus to ensure we are pricing ourselves correctly.
Please feel free to phone myself personally and I will be happy to discuss any of your comments.
Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Had a good weekend at this beautiful hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful and I was particularly grateful to Byron who helped me with my Dietary requirements and nothing was too much trouble. I would recommend this Hotel to anyone.

Dear Dwaite7

Thank you so much for your delightful comments regarding your stay the other week. I am glad you enjoyed your experience here and in particular singled out our Assistant Restaurant manager, Byron for his exceptional service with your dietary requirements and in general.

We very much hope you do return again and look forward to welcoming you back some day.

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guisborough
Raithwaite Estate
#3 of 4 in Saltburn-by-the-Sea
Crathorne Hall Hotel
Crathorne Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crathorne

Been to Gisborough Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!