“Best service ever - but...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Gisborough Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Guisborough
GreenLeadersSilver level
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Best service ever - but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

We visited on a get away from it all trip. Lovely reception - blazing log fire, and very friendly staff - help to find our room, which was needed, it is such a large building. Food was really well cooked and presented, so we can't understand why the olive oil in the oil and balsamic dip was so disgusting! We feel that someone has been pulling a fast one with this - Lidl olive oil, some of which we tested on arriving home to double - check is infinitely superior!
The tiny hair dryer conked out after a couple of minutes, but a nice big one was promptly brought by one of the cheerful and helpful staff, on request.
In a hotel like this we would have expected a gym, and when a spa is advertised, a pool as well, so for there not to be one was a bit disappointing, however, over all this was a very comfortable and enjoyable stay.
Congratulations on the staff, who were the most helpful and friendly we have ever come across in an hotel.

Room Tip: Our room was classified as 'classic' On the second floor It was very large, had a seating ar...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Henwoman
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear Henwoman

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that your overall stay was so comfortable and enjoyable and that you found our team to be helpful and friendly.
There are discussions regarding the building of a full leisure centre, however this will not be executed for some years.
We are very proud to stock and serve genuine Extra Virgin olive oil produced by the hotel owners on their South African estate in the Western Cape. It won a Gold medal at the South African Olive Association Annual Awards this year and we have received many fabulous comments regarding this oil and have sold many bottles at reception.
It should have a distinct peppery nose and a rich and buttery flavour on the tongue. It is possible that the bottle on your table had oxidised, I have asked that all bottles are checked and cleaned.
If you e-mail me direct gm.gisboroughhall@macdonald-hotels.co.uk and advise me of your personal details, I will send you a bottle of oil to try, endeavouring to show you how good it really is.
Meanwhile, I hope that you will soon return.

Kim Yardley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

We had a lovely stay and a truely warm welcome. The food really was delicious and the staff helpful the price was very good too. Highly recommend we will be coming again!! I would only say we were placed in one of the rooms furthest away which meant quite a walk but it really wasnt an issue good for walking off the delicious dinner. The restaurant staff were lovely hightly professional just added to the special night away. Thank you

• Stayed January 2014
Dear bissitt

I am delighted that you had such a welcome and comfortable stay with us at Gisborough Hall. Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed our food and hospitality and we hope that you will stay with us again. Should you return, please call the hotel and ask to be allocated a room closer to the front hall. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Redcar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

We have dined at Gisborough Hall many times, at functions and in small family groups. The meals and the service have always been what you would expect of such a prestigious looking venue. Great food, excellent service - just watch the drinks prices don't run away with your wallet!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Steve M
Dear Steve M

Thank you for taking the time and trouble in posting your review of G Bar and Bistro.
I recognise you from your photograph, you are an extremely loyal and valued guest of ours, and we hope to welcome you back soon.

england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

Visiting parents who live in nearby Middlesbrough, just before Christmas -we decided to venture a bit further out, and stay at Gisborough Hall. (Especially as we were also celebrating our Wedding Anniversary 22nd December)
Having never (so far) - been let down by a McDonald's Hotel - we were fairly confident that we would not be disappointed.
We arrived on a wet,windy evening...to have a very warm welcome from the staff on reception. Our room was in the new wing - and was of the cleanliness and comfort we have come to expect from all McDonalds Hotels. We did find that one of the lights in the spacious bathroom was not working - reported this to reception, and this was rectified in record time.
Due to family commitments , we were not able to spend as much time in the hotel/area as we would have liked; however we had a lovely Anniversary Dinner in the restaurant, which was made more special by the Chef producing a little 'anniversary cake' for 2 - as our waiter had informed him that it was a special celebration. Thank You!!
We plan to return this year, to spend more time in the hotel and explore the area.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear fitzhamon

Firstly may I wish you a belated happy anniversary! I am delighted that we delivered to your expectations of a Macdonald Hotel.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Gisborough Hall for a longer stay, I appreciate that you know the area with your parents living in Middlesbrough; however, having the time to explore the coastline, the villages and the moors is very special.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

I stayed here with my husband in early November. He had a conference here on the Monday so we decided to come up for the weekend as Guisborough is a few hours drive from where we live.

We stayed in the newly built part of the hotel. Other reviewers have commented that this means a long walk to your room. I agree it was a walk but I think the signage must have been improved recently as we didn't have a problem finding our way around.

The room was very spacious as was the bathroom (boasting his and hers sinks and separate bath and shower). There was a large desk and an ethernet cable for internet connection, which came in handy as we both had a bit of work do to and the 3G signal was non-existent. The fact there was loose leaf tea and teapot and ground coffee and cafetiere was a nice touch. As usual there were only a few small servings of milk but on asking at reception for some more milk, a member of staff had brought some to our room almost before we got back ourselves!

We ate at the G Bar and Bistro on our first night and were very impressed. I would agree with their website that it is simple, modern food but it's very tasty and well presented. My only comment would be that I was almost (!) unable to finish the milk chocolate mousse as it was so rich (and I have a sweet tooth). The staff were attentive but not fussing over you. There was an excellent selection for breakfast with a full English cooked to order.

On the Monday whilst my husband was at his conference I worked in the drawing room where there was free wi-fi and I was pretty much left to myself (I was asked twice if I would like a drink).

On checking out the £10 credit you receive for booking direct had not been deducted from our bill but this was quickly rectified without problem.

Unless we have the need to stay in or around Guisborough we're unlikely to return here in the future but, based on our experience here, we would certainly try other Macdonalds hotels.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear qeotu

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Gisborough Hall. Reading this, it appears that we ticked all of the boxes!
We have commenced the signage improvement upgrade, though only slowly. After finishing decorating the fabulous 1st floor rooms of the main house, we will continue.
I am delighted that you found the team here so accommodating and that you also enjoyed the dining experience and your hotel bedroom.
I really hope that you return, maybe as a leisure guests? I can see from your profile that it is quite a drive; however there is much to do and see in this area of stunning coast and magnificent moors.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

Stayed just one night for rest and relaxation. The welcome was warm and friendly. After getting settled and unpacked in the spacious and comfortable room, we had a drink in the bar. Marie the bar girl was very helpful in recommending a bottle of wine for our dinner. When we had dinner the choice was great with almost too many nice things to choose from. We had the recommended wine and we were very pleased with it. We had a good nights sleep and check-out was fast efficient and friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear patsylandin

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay at Gisborough Hall.
I am delighted that this was a return stay for you and that you so enjoyed it. I know Marie will be thrilled to read your comments, she interacts beautifully with our guests and this shows an example of going that one step further.
We look forward to welcoming you back for your third visit!

North Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

My youngest daughter chose this venue for her wedding reception, and despite some private reservations it turned out very well.
The double staircase into the hall gave the bride & groom a special entrance, which was organised well by the mc so that the lights went out and back on at the appropriate time to give a spectacular start to proceedings.
The food at the reception was very good, along with the service, only complaint was that we had specified dietary requirements for one guest, and they had to be reminded more than once. This child has a dairy allergy, and a caramel dessert was presented to him.
We had a hot buffet for the evening reception, and again the food could not be faulted.
The conservatory was a comfortable refuge for anyone wishing to cool down, or get away from the disco for a chat, you are outside the main room, but still feel part of the proceedings thanks to the windows.
The room provided for the Bride and Groom, although not the Bridal Suite, was a beautiful room, and they were impressed with everything about it.
My wife and I, along with many of the guests, stayed in the hotel and found the rooms comfortable, if a little warm, with large well equipped bathroom, and a King Size bed.
The frontage and grounds of the hotel lend themselves to excellent photographs, unfortunately we had a wet and windy day in December, but a spectacular sunset saved the day for us.
One small complaint was that the following morning, after an excellent breakfast, we had difficulty finding any staff to assist us in packing away our belongings, ie. wedding presents, table decorations, left over cake etc. It was New Years Eve so they were busy preparing for the night, but we felt that we were yesterdays work and a helpful hand would have been appreciated. We finally got help from the lady on reception, and she couldn't have been more helpful.
A previous reviewer mentioned not been able to get a night cap, I know members of our party obtained drinks around 01.00hrs. so it wasn't a problem for us.
The whole experience was unforgettable, and gave my daughter and a husband a day to remember, the organisation was very good, and consequently the day went by without a hitch.
All in all an excellent venue for a wedding whatever the weather, look forward to returning some time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear PaulNorthYorkshire

Thank you for taking the time in posting such an extensive review following your daughters wedding reception at Gisborough Hall.
I am absolutely delighted that the day was unforgettable for all of the right reasons. The Madoc Suite with its double staircase makes for a formidable entrance and the room lit by chandeliers makes a most spectacular venue.
We are delighted that you enjoyed the meals served and the service and the conservatory, a comfortable refuge from the music. The bedrooms have predominately King-Size beds, and the room your daughter stayed in was The Rose Room, this was decorated in December and a fabulous new bathroom put in. This four poster room is now our premier bridal suite.
I am sorry that you did not find adequate help on Tuesday morning to help pack away your belongings.
I am so happy your daughter had a memorable reception here at Gisborough Hall; we look forward to you all returning one day.

Kim Yardley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guisborough
Raithwaite Estate
Cross Keys By Good Night Inns
Crathorne Hall Hotel
Crathorne Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crathorne

Been to Gisborough Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!