“Family weekend”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Family weekend”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We went here for a family meet up with my bother and his family, my mother and myself and my wife
This is a first class hotel. The rooms are clean and well equiped even if my mother could not find here tea making facilities.
The reception staff are freindly and welcoming and nothing is to much trouble.
As for the restaurant. Exceptional is the only word I can use. The attention to detail is brilliant and the service outstanding.
I have not been to a better run restaurant anywhere and I have travelled extensively.
The food is delivered with such pleasure and very well prepared and beautifully presented.
A lesson in exceptional quality all round.
If you want to be well looked after then this is the place to eat. Fantastic.
We will definately be going here again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Iain P
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Iain P

Thank you for taking the time to post on Tripadvisor, your recent visit to Gisborough Hall. I was delighted to read your lovely comments.

I am so pleased that you found your stay to be so comfortable; from a friendly reception, clean room and exceptional meal, your comments will really lift the team.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back

Kim Yardley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Polish first
jillybums1
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We went for an overnight stay at Gisborough Hall dinner b&b. We arrived in the sunshine and was checked by very friendly and helpful reception staff. We were taken to our room which was good. We had spa treatments booked so we went straight there. Again the ladies were very friendly and efficient and both treatments were excellent. Back in the room we got ready for dinner, the iron and board were very helpful, a very spacious bathroom was clean. The only thing that is lacking is the lighting, the room seemed dark all the time even with all the lights on.
We had pre dinner drinks in the library and the restaurant manager brought us menus. I have to say that all the staff in this hotel are really pleasant even the younger waiters and waitresses spoke, asked us about our day and were generally excellent. The food was really good, came hot and a very high standard which was a surprise. All in all a really nice stay wouod highly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank jillybums1
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear jillybums1

Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review on Tripadvisor, following your recent stay at Gisborough Hall.

I am pleased that the team was so friendly and efficient and helped you enjoy your stay with us.

If you could e-mail me direct, I will know which room you stayed in and check the lux levels. Meanwhile thank you for posting such positive comments regarding the room, restaurant and spa.

We hope that you will soon return.

Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I went to Gisborough Hall with my husband for a quiet break last weekend. We got a fantastic deal with the hotel £109 per night for two for bed, breakfast and evening meal.
We asked to stay in the old part of the hotel and when we arrived we found they had given us exactly what we wanted.
The food is really delicious and breakfast is very filling.
everything about this hotel is lovely from the staff to the rooms, food and service. We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the old part if you want a quirky room or in the new part if you want a more contempo...
2 Thank SueB919
Dear SueB919

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor, following your recent stay at Gisborough Hall.

I am pleased that you took advantage of our fantastic summer deal, this has now ended, however there are some great deals available on the website.

I am pleased the staff, room and food that you enjoyed were lovely; we look forward to you returning.

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We recently spent a great weekend in August at Gisborough Hall Hotel in Yorkshire. We received such a warm and friendly welcome at reception from Sarah, who enquired if we had stayed in the area before, which we hadn’t, and so genuinely wished us a very enjoyable stay – and that is exactly what it was. Our very large room had views over the lovely terrace and gardens and it is worth mentioning the well equipped bathroom – it was good to have walk-in shower as well as a separate bath at the other end of the room.
We enjoyed having pre-dinner drinks on both evenings in the hotel’s beautiful and relaxing Main Hall and Drawing Room. The Assistant Restaurant Manager, Byron was at hand throughout both evenings to guide us through the delights on offer (starting with tempting cocktails!), and also taking the trouble to go through and explain the menu, and making sure we had everything we wanted. He was so pleasant and enquired about our day, hoping we had enjoyed exploring the area. The food certainly was superb both on the first night, in the main Chaloner’s restaurant and the second night in the Brasserie. In fact it was lovely to have the choice of the traditional restaurant and the more contemporary brasserie.
We loved the feel that we were actually staying in a private country house, which succeeded in combining an excellent and very professional 4 star hotel service, with a totally ‘unstuffy’, friendly and homely atmosphere and where the staff really do hope you have the most enjoyable time!

Room Tip: A room on the front of the hotel overlooking the beautiful gardens would be lovely.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sarah D

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor, following your recent stay at Gisborough Hall. It was with great pleasure I read your comments, and I am so pleased you had such a warm welcome and experience at the hotel.

Everything that you wrote and the experience that you enjoyed, is what we endeavour to provide for every guest at Gisborough Hall. I will pass your comments to the team, we also post these on our notice board, I wall also speak to Byron and Sarah personally.

We hope that you will return to stay with us again.

Guisborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013

A lovely room overlooking the hills, fantastic food in a lovely environment, Byron in the Restaurant is fantastic too. Food was beautifully presented and fantastic quality, taste buds went mad! Our welcome was second to none from moment we walked into to the moment we left. Any body looking for a romantic night away in Guisborough loom no further.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lasadelfas
Dear lasadelfas

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of Chaloner’s Restaurant and Gisborough Hall.

I am delighted that you stayed with us in a room overlooking the hills, I presume this to be one of our south facing rooms. The first floor of the hall will be refreshed and refurbished in January 2015, enhancing the quality and experience.

I will pass on your comments to my team, especially Byron, I hope that you will return next year if not before?

middlesbrough
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We went as a couple for an evening, the food was not good at all. The waitress told us they had been busy and wasn't sure if he would still want to cook, (it was just after 9).... The steak was suppose to have peppercorn sauce with it but they gave us Red Wine sauce and when we queried the sauce the waitress was not at all happy about returning it into the kitchen....
Anyway we received a new sauce which basically was the same one but the chef had poured some cream in (to change the colour) and thrown peppercorns in....
Very disappointed indeed......

Room Tip: No comment.....
1 Thank stella f
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear stella f
Thank you for posting your review, I am flabbergasted at these comments.
I would be extremely grateful if you could advise me as to when you dined, I can then review my staffing as to whom served you. I apologise profusely if a member of my team has been rude to you.
My chef can recall a peppercorn sauce being returned recently that had not enough cream in it. This sauce is made from brandy, red wine, veal jus, green peppercorns and cream, he can not recall a red wine sauce being returned? Perhaps you dined on his day off.
Please contact me gm.gisboroughhall@macdonald-hotels.co.uk so that I may investigate further who was serving you. Clearly it is quite unacceptable to have rudeness from a member of the serving team, it sounds very serious, and did you report it to the Restaurant Manager/Head Waiter that evening?
Gloucestershire
Reviewed September 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here as a treat on our anniversary for three nights.
The hotel, the food, the surroundings, the room, the cleanliness were all what you would expect from a four star hotel. However I must point out that if your not "dressed up to the nines" you may be treated as a second class citizen. At check in, I was asked for a credit card number to go along with my debit card which apparently wasn't good enough for them. The only credit card I had with me was due to expire during my stay so this wasn't acceptable so I was told I'd have to pay cash and nothing could go on my room account. I didn't really mind this as I tend to pay cash anyway. However what I witnessed in the bar whilst paying with my good cash was not only astounding, but the biggest NO NO I have ever witnessed.
Restaurant staff were bringing half drunk bottles of wine from the tables, which had been paid for, to be sometimes poured into another already open bottle at the bar, sometimes it wasn't. However, either way it was then re-sold again by the glass. Over the three nights I witnessed this on at least half a dozen occassions. This double dipping at the prices you pay for a glass of wine here is shocking and it must stop. If the management is aware of this practice or sanctioned it, it needs to stop now, it really doesn't become a four star establishment.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ferandane
Dear ferandane

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, firstly, thank you for your kind comments regarding the room, food, surroundings and cleanliness I was puzzled by your comments regarding dress code. We do not publish a dress code, however our guests tend to wear “smart casuals” when dining or using our facilities, I will monitor any future mention of this concern.

I would however like to offer our defense for the damning review that you have written regarding alleged sharp practice in the G Bar and Bistro. I was saddened to read your review regarding the staff bringing back the half empty bottles of wine whilst you were standing at the bar. I have looked at our CCTV and realised what you had witnessed: This hotel and Macdonald Hotels core standard for pouring wine by the glass, is to take the bottle from the bar and pour at the table in front of the customer wherever possible. The bottles that you saw being returned to the bar were these opened bottle used purely for wine by the glass. It is most unfortunate that you did not mention your concerns at the time.

I am sorry that our company credit policy caused you distress: When checking in, we only take pre-authorisation from credit cards. If a guest can not provide a credit card, full payment for the room and an amount agreed for extras can be paid by debit card, otherwise cash is used. If the room is paid for by cash, only cash can be accepted and our systems will not allow billing.

If you would like to discuss this further, please call me direct at Gisborough Hall.

Kim Yardley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guisborough
Raithwaite Estate
Cross Keys By Good Night Inns
Hunley Hotel and Golf Club
Hunley Hotel and Golf Club
#3 of 4 in Saltburn-by-the-Sea

Been to Gisborough Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!