“Excellent staff, beautiful place”

Gisborough Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Guisborough
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Noticed a considerable difference between daytime and evening staff. On check-in, staff were great, even took the bags up to my room. Waitress in Gbar was also really really good. Booked a 'spa day' on spabreaks.com which is much cheaper than booking a spa package direct.

The staff did make the best efforts to put us in a quiet room due to two large functions which were booked for that night, but I'm afraid the music kept us up until about half 1. I also agree with other travelers, that the rooms do get very very warm.

The room itself was massive! It was one of their family rooms but the two beds for children were campbeds and didn't look very comfy, even premier inn have sofabeds! The sherry decanter is also a nice touch. There is wifi in the room if you use the wire from the wall which is in a little bit of an awkward location. Artwork in the room is also really nice.

There is an option to order fresh milk for the tea and coffee making facilities and ice for the ice bucket. I did attempt both however the milk took half an hour and the ice never turned up! I did ring reception, no answer, ended up going down there with my ice bucket to find the reception unattended and also the Gbar unattended, found someone eventually but I wouldn't have liked to try and order room service based on this experience!

The grounds are absolutely gorgeous, and you can sit out and have a drink and it really is beautiful, and that alone would make me want to return!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear kimr86

Thank you for taking the time and trouble in completing your review, we are not complacent about our standards and value all comments in order to maintain and improve for future guests.

I am sorry that there was noise disturbance, we endeavor to avoid this, I agree, sofa beds would be ideal and on my wish list.

Internet access should be greatly improved in October, as a company we have signed up to the “cloud”, I think this will greatly improve. I am also sorry it was so difficult to obtain ice, this is clearly poor.

I hope that you will stay again and that you enjoyed your spa break?

Kim Yardley

Write a ReviewReviews (1,536)

994 - 1,000 of 1,536 reviews

Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and were very impressed with the beautiful building set in wonderfully kept grounds.
There isn't a lot that I can say to fault this place, apart from maybe the lack of phone signal. But is that really a negative?
We booked this on line and this gave us a £10 credit to spend within the hotel as we wished. However, the receptionist didn't understand how to activate the credit.
We stayed in the Woodlands Wing and the room was wonderfully appointed and very spacious. We felt truly rested on waking.
Breakfast was in a lovely dining room with excellent views of the garden. We didn't have a menu card on our table so had to rely on a waiter to tell us what the breakfast options were. What he failed to mention was that there was a supplement for certain breakfast choices. Our £10 credit went part of the way to make up for this as this showed up on the final bill at check out.
All in all a lovely place to stay. I would recommend and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Jennyjcamp

Thank you for posting such a lovely review, I believe that any issue regarding £10 credit for booking online has been resolved, I am sorry it caused confusion.

We look forward to you staying again in the future.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed at this lovely hotel to celebrate a wedding of a friend. We stayed in the Woodlands Wing, and the reception was held in the Madoc suite, which was beautifully set out and very spacious. The rooms are of a high standard and very comfortable. Breakfast is an additional supplement to the room rate, and a little pricey but a very good selection offered and very well cooked and of a good quality. The staff throughout the hotel were very friendly and efficient. This hotel is finely tuned and runs like clockwork. The hotel itself is set in the most beautiful grounds, with amazing views, and is the perfect setting to make that special day perfect. I would definitely stay here again if in the area.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear maggieHull_England

Thank you for taking the time and trouble in posting your recent review of Gisborough Hall on Tripadvisor.

I am so pleased your stay was comfortable and your friends’ wedding was a success. We hope that you revisit in the future.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at Gisborough Hotel at least ten times and are due there again on 1st September. We always have a lovely relaxing time. Even though our rooms are always in the Woodlands Wing, which is a long walk to the restaurant or bar, it is worth the long walk. Our rooms have always been spotlessly clean and well maintained. It is lovely that there is a tea pot and cafetiere in the room. The food is delicious and the service is extremely good. The staff are always friendly and helpful; solicitous about your day and comfort. We have stayed in other MacDonald hotels- both of those in Bath, Linden Hall in Northumberland and one just over the border in Scotland. None of them compare with Gisborough. I have told the staff at all these other hotels that they should visit Gisborough to find out how to run a comfortable, welcoming hotel with excellent food. The surrounding area is great for walkers and there are great villages nearby such as Great Ayton. There are also easy trips to Whitby and the north east coast of Yorkshire.
For breakfast you should have the smoked salmon and scrambled egg! My husband would recommend the kippers. The nibbles you get with your pre dinner drink are wonderful and it is great that you are not rushed between courses but can relax and savour the peace. Even when there have been weddings on we have not been aware of any drop in standard of service and we have never heard noise from the weddings at night time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear toastandjam186346

Thank you for posting such a fabulous review on Tripadvisor, we are looking forward to welcoming you back for your 11th visit to Gisborough Hall.

I am unsure which of the Woodlands Wing rooms you stay in? Rooms 213-220 have been decorated and duvets added, the remainder should be complete by Christmas.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on 1st September.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I booked this hotel as my mate was getting married on the sunday and it was our wedding anniversary on the Saturday what more can I say the hotel staff were excellent in the jobs they were doing the hotel was a fantastic place and plenty to do in surrounding areas as we drove to Whitby which was only 20 mins away the only fault I could find was the price of drinks 1 bulmers and a glass of wine was nearly touching £15.00 mark so as you could guess didn't have many of those but overall I will be going back again in near future.

Room Tip: Fitness centre didn't have one and no swimming pool there are two sections of the hotel new and...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Wayne C

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with us. Happy Anniversary! I hope that you will celebrate many future occasions with us.

Best wishes

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We wanted a nice hotel for a night away with our dog to allow us to go for long walks and take a break in a quite location. It was a good job we phoned in advance to advise we were bringing a dog as there are specific rooms in the hotel for our kind. The staff where fantastic from reception desk through to dinner and breakfast service. The hotel was full for wedding but this did not take away from our experience, if anything i would praise the staff more for there handling of some difficult guests! Very helpful and friendly. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone especially as we only ever normally stay in 5* hotels this one exceeded all our expectations! Thank you very much! The dog also got a wonderful welcome with biscuits, dog bed and water bowl.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Jess A

Dear jess B

Thank you for taking the time to post onto Tripadvisor your comments following your recent stay at Gisborough Hall.
It was kind of you to write such a glowing report, I am so pleased we met 5* expectations. I am also delighted that your dog was treated so well!
We hope that you will return soon.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed for our 32nd wedding anniversary after a recommend from MacDonald Hotels central reservations (we couldn't get into our first choice of hotel), and as we've never had a bad hotel with this company, we decided to go with it. The drive up to the hotel showed how spectacularly imposing the hall is. We upgraded our room and were given a 3 room suite named The Old Nursery.....WOW, well worth the money, it was fabulous, decanter of sherry, quality magazines, and the usual standard of toiletries etc that I would expect from any Macdonald hotel or associate. From check-in through to departure the service we received was outstanding, and the restaurant food was 5 star especially at night. I have to give a special mentions for Jess, Byron, and the restaurant/bar staff who made us feel so welcome (happy anniversary piped in chocolate around the plate when our desserts arrived... perfect!). We saw two weddings during our two night stay, which meant the hotel must have been extremely busy, but at no point did we feel that staff didn't have time to make us feel valued, everything seemed to flow seamlessly! I have no hesitation in recommending Guisborough Hall.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear herindoor

Many congratulations on your 32nd wedding anniversary, I am sorry that you were unable to get your 1st choice hotel but delighted that you stayed with us.
I am so pleased that you were “wowed”, thank you for recommending Gisborough Hall and I hope that you return soon. I have passed on your lovely comments to the staff concerned.

Kim Yardley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Guisborough
Raithwaite Estate
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
Grinkle Park Hotel
Grinkle Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Easington

Been to Gisborough Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!