“Afternoon Tea...”

Gisborough Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Guisborough
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

We got married here 2 years ago and as a surprise birthday treat my husband brought me back here the other day for afternoon tea.

We didn't stay over but had done on our wedding and it was amazing. Beautiful venue, exceptional service and lovely food. We had afternoon tea for two and picked our own loose leaf tea. The sandwiches, scones and desserts on the tea were beautiful and very tasty.

Would highly recommend for afternoon tea, a wedding, lunch, dinner or a stay over. Wonderful place that holds many memories for me!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank samsalsa
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear samsalsa
Firstly, “Happy Anniversary”! both your wedding and birthday!
I am so happy that you returned to Gisborough Hall to celebrate your birthday after holding your wedding reception here 2 years ago.
I hope that we will have the pleasure of looking after many more of your special occasions throughout your life.

Kim Yardley

Write a ReviewReviews (1,562)

Reviewed May 5, 2013

These things are exceptional - the power shower, the Bistro, the breakfast!
I arrived 915pm ish just as room service reverted to cold sandwiches only, but the Bistro kindly brought out gorgeous soup to a weary and hungry traveller even though they should have been closing. Lovely people!:-)
The room and bedding was just ok (once I'd brushed away the black hairs), but then I had the most basic room out. The walls were paper thin and the music from the nearby wedding party on successive nights was annoying. It's worth staying in this hotel, but I'd recommend going for a higher class room and request one well away from the main hall.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear JosieJosieJo
Thank you for taking the time and trouble in writing your review, we are not complacent about our standards and value all comments in order to maintain and improve for future guests.
I am delighted that the G Bar team looked after you so well, and that you enjoyed your breakfast. I would be grateful to know which room that you slept in so that I may check the quality of the bedding. I am also concerned that you had noise disturbance from the wedding party. If we have the pleasure of your company in the future, please contact my reservations team direct and discuss your room requirements.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Booked this stay for our anniversary and couldn't be more pleased. On arrival we were told we had a complimentary upgrade and on entering the room we were amazed. I'd booked through Secret Escapes a few months previously and couldn't have wanted for more. We stayed in the Rose room at the front of the hotel, with huge bay windows and a stunning view over the hills. The room contained a comfortable four poster bed, plenty of space surrounding it, an area with a sofa and a table, and a small decanter of sherry. Robes in the spacious bathroom, excellent toiletries. We had a bottle of wine waiting in our room on arrival (unfortunately this was red and I do not drink this), various fizzy water and a bar of chocolate in the fridge! So pleased with our upgrade, but I'm sure other rooms would have been lovely too as the hotel and its grounds are lovely. Breakfast in the morning was served promptly, and plenty of choice including a full English breakfast. We'll definitely be considering returning here. Only let down is the lack of swimming pool, however if we'd been staying for longer than one evening then I would've booked into the spa.

Room Tip: The Rose room is stunning, huge at the front of the hotel with stunning views and a four poster bed!

Dear i_have_toes
Happy Anniversary! I am so happy that you chose to celebrate this occasion with us.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel and the Rose Room, I am delighted that we were able to upgrade you to help celebrate.
I do hope that you will return in the future and take advantage of the Revival Zone and also explore our beautiful countryside.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

My husband and I have recently enjoyed a four night stay at this delightful hotel and wouldn't hesitate in recommending it.

We were made to feel extremely welcome the minute we walked into reception and it continued that way throughout our break. Our room in the Woodlands Wing was spotless and we always enjoyed our trek through to the lounge and restaurant, seeing different things in the various rooms as we made our way downstairs. Jonathon and his team in the restaurant were excellent but, without taking anything away from them, we feel Byron deserves a special mention from us because he was helpful and discreetly attentive to our needs at all times. The hotel would do well to ensure he stays with them as he is a great asset! There was always a wonderful choice of fresh fruits, cereals, yoghurts, etc. for breakfast, together with freshly cooked full English and toast if wanted and ample tea/coffee. The three-course dinners were always delicious and beautifully presented so well done to the kitchen team for all their efforts too.

Can't wait for a return visit to this great hotel in such a beautiful part of our country.

Dear Chris M

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor following your recent short break at Gisborough Hall.

It was super reading your comments regarding your stay with special mentions for Johnathan and Byron; they will both be delighted to read these.

We look forward to welcoming you back on all of your future visits!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

The hotel and staff are faultless. Even though we were Secret Escape customers getting a really good deal, the staff were very attentive. We were in a party of 10, celebrating our 50th birthdays and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. The evening meal and breakfast were delicious. We definitely recommend this hotel to others.

Dear J N
Happy 50th! To you!
A milestone birthday, I am delighted that you and your friends chose to celebrate with us at Gisborough Hall.
I am very happy that you will recommend the hotel to others, and that you had a lovely stay with us. I hope that you will return.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Myself and my partner have just come back from a two night break at Gisborough Hall to celebrate our anniversary. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were well looked after, relaxed and really cannot fault the place.

We were checked in by Kelly (?), very friendly and helpful. Check in was smooth and the room (Nursery Tea Room) was easy to find as it is literally as you step out the lift on the first floor. The room itself was spotless, as was the spacious bathroom. We had lovely country views and could just see the priory too.

Its the little things that make places extra special and Gisborough Hall offered many- lovely soft robes, a little decantaer of sherry in the room, tea bags, fresh leaf tea, instant coffee and fresh coffee in the room, lovely Penhaligon toiletries and turn-down service. All these little touches really contributed to the stay.

The bed was comfy and spacious, although I do prefer a duvet I was plenty warm with the blankets. It was a little disappointing to be woken in Sunday morning by the room (guests or staff not sure) above who showered at 6.30am and it sounded like the water was going to come through our ceiling. However we cannot detract from the experience as this is obviously out of the control of the hotel- guests can get up whenever they like of course!

We did not have breakfast, however did eat in both the Bistro and Restaurant. We had not booked a table for the Saturday night, but after visiting Guisborough itself we did not find anywhere appealing to eat so took a risk and headed back to the hotel. The bistro was busy and at first the staff seemed reluctant to find us a table or even commit to whether or not we could eat at all. However in swoops Anne and Jonathon who were more than happy to accommodate us provided we were happy that there might be a wait. We were more than happy with. Having worked in hotels and restaurants myself I know the kind of pressure they are under, we hadn't booked and were happy to wait as long as we could have something to eat at some point that evening. The service from Anne, Jonathon and Sarah was polite, friendly and professional at all times, and we really do appreciate them fitting us in so late on!

Sunday night we ate in the Chlaoners restaurant- from coming down for drinks before dinner to eating and settling the bill the whole experience was relaxed, precise and faultless. We came down an hour before our table to have drinks and were left to relax until our reservation. Byron was a fantastic head waiter/ restaurant manager. He answered all our questions and did not leave anything to chance. The food and service were again faultless. Its a lovely touch that Byron shook our hands as we left too. This place really does have excellent and considerate service, all staff we have mentioned are a credit to MacDonalds!

Check out was equally as smooth and friendly.

On the whole a fantastic stay, my only advice would be that you forewarn guests when they are booking that the bistro and restaurant are popular eateries and booking at the time of booking your room is advised. Also more clarity on the room service provided. In the room it tells you room service is available, please see the menu- there was no menu! When we were told we might not be able to eat in the bistro on the Saturday night we said we would happily have room service instead- this was met with hesitation and excuses of the kitchen being busy and obviously it would be a 'limited menu'. Since there is no room service menu I was not sure what that meant. You either offer room service or you don't, and this should not change depending on how busy the restaurant is- if you offer it you should be able to provide it.

To end on a positive- the whole hotel, room, restaurant, bar were spotlessly clean!

Room Tip: Nursery Tea Room, first floor, near the lift, quiet, lovely views, spacious bathroom.

Dear Natasha B
Thank you for taking the tieme to write such a comprehensive review of your recent short break at Gisborough Hall.
So many positives, thank you for sharing these with us, the team that you have mentioned will be very happy to read these comments.
I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us, I have picked up on your comment regarding the room service menu, there should be a menu in each room, I will ask my housekeeper to check and replace as necessary.
I hope that you will return soon.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

This was our second visit having visited as a couple in about 2005. This time we visited as a family for a wedding but stayed for 4 nights.We really enjoyed our visit and the hostel was as good a we remembered. Friendly staff, very helpful and great service. The food was seasonal and of excellent quality and taste. The rooms were clean and of a very good standard. We stayed in the woodland wing which in the newer part of the building and slightly further away but the great design means it's an enjoyable walk and close to the main function room. However the design of the lay out of the Hotel meant that we could not hear the entertainment once we went to bed.This visit we enjoyed the grounds with our son plenty of space for him to have a run about and in the room for him to play. I also had chance to look as some of the rooms in the main house which were exceptional and as the pictures show. I also enjoyed the spar, this was the only slight disappointment, I would suggest treatments are booked in advance as the spar was fully booked and could not accommodate the treatments I wanted to book. I managed to fit in one short treatment and this was of good quality.
Over all this was an excellent stay in what I would recommended as the best hotel in this part of the country. The hotel is also within 30 minute drive of lots of good places to visit inc, Staithes, Whitby, Middlesborough, Grosmont, Roseberry topping, Great Ayton to name a few.
Also the views are stunning and natural.

Room Tip: For a feature room or if you don't want to enjoy a walk around the hotel chose one in the main h...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Bluebellbutterfly
Thank you for your kind comments on Tripadvisor, following your short break at Gisborough Hall.
I am delighted that you had a lovely stay at the hotel with friendly staff, great food and service. I am disappointed that the Revival Zone was busy and you were unable to book the treatments that you desired, next time that you stay and I trust that there will be a next time? Please call in advance and book spa treatments.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel in the future.
Best wishes
Kim Yardley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Guisborough
Raithwaite Estate
#1 of 2 in Easington
Raven Hall Hotel
Raven Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ravenscar

Been to Gisborough Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!