“Great find”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Great find”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed here for three nights last week and it was exactly what the doctor ordered! We asked for a quiet room as I'm not sleeping and we were put in a room where you could have heard a pin drop, it was fantastic. Comfy bed, huge room and loads of hot water for plenty of relaxing baths. Staff remembered our names which was a nice touch too.

Hotel itself is very grand with several large lounges with open fires which is very welcome in March.

The spa was good too and the mother-to-be package was wonderful, I was out for the count during it and it was the best sleep I'd had in weeks!

One tip, the fried breakfast didn't strike us as that great (bit fatty) but the porridge was amazing so it's worth checkingout the menu first and not just going for the standard fry up. Also, on all nights we were told they were fully booked for dinner at the time we asked for (7pm) but when we turned up for our booking 15mins later the bistro and restaurant were nearing on empty, not sure why that was but seemed odd that so many tables were empty when only 15mins early they were 'fully booked'.

Room Tip: We were room 230 and it was really quiet though up a flight of stairs if you have mobility problems...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear PoLRweb
I am so pleased that you stayed with us last week and managed to unwind and relax.
From what you have intimated…attending mother-to-be package, this break is exactly what you needed.
I am afraid that we can only take so many guests into our restaurants every 15 minutes, all food is freshly prepared and cooked and physically impracticable to take additional bookings when that booking space is “full”; stating that the restaurants are “fully booked” is perhaps the wrong thing to say this and must cause concern when there are so many empty tables.
We do hope that you return in the future for another relaxing stay, meanwhile I trust you have a comfortable pregnancy.

Kim Yardley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We visited the hotel for our second time at the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it again, last visit we had the feature room, this time a room in the Woodland wing but still found it as comfy as the first time. The service on Saturday night was a little slow and we didn't sit down for dinner until approx an hour later than we'd booked but didn't find it a problem as we were't in any rush and a free drink was given to compensate. The food in the restaurant was excellent and so was the breakfast. Would love to come back again soon.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear nickikox
Thank you for posting your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am so pleased that your return visit to Gisborough Hall was so enjoyable.
I do know it was particularly busy when you stayed with us this time; we appreciate your patience and understanding in the delay in seating you for dinner. I am pleased that you found the food excellent.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Best wishes
Nottinghamshire, UK
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My wife and myself had an excellent two night break here.

We found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful and the food at both breakfast and evening to be very good. Johnathan and the restaurant staff being particulary helpful and efficient.

Our room, in the newer Woodland wing was large, clean , comfortable and very warm, which was a bonus as it was very cold outside, it even snowed whilst we were there.

The bathroom was again large, with his and hers wash basins and both a bath and separate shower.

As others have said, these rooms are a bit of a trek from reception, but we did not find this a problem.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a quiet break in nice surroundings and I am sure we will return in the not to distant future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank asn163
Dear asn163
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at Gisborough Hall.
I am so pleased that you found your stay comfortable and that you would gladly recommend us. I am pleased that the staff were so helpful, Johnathan and his team in particular.
I can not guarantee the snow next time you stay, however I hope that you will stay in the not too distant future.

yorkshire
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Booked Gisborough Hall for my Mother and myself just for one night and we were both very impressed. The hotel is in superb position and there are so many beautiful places around to visit. The Hotel itself is superb, the rooms are comfy, clean and just perfect, the food was lovely, the staff go the 'extra mile' to make sure you are happy. Thankyou Anthony @ reception for the milk/wine!! Cannot fault this hotel at all. Thankyou guys, as far as customer experience go's, you certainly ticked all the boxs!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rioYorkshire
Dear rioYorkshire
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at Gisborough Hall.
It was a delight reading your fabulous comments and I know that Anthony and the reception team in particular are grateful.
We hope that you will return in the future to Gisborough Hall.
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My fiancé took me for a surprise trip away, we had the couples retreat at spa which was a gorgeous massage followed by champayne afternoon tea!! The food in restaurant was lovely and the staff were amazing especially Jonathan in restaurant although the bar staff could do with some serious homework and drinking as knowledge was lacking to say the least ! Bit don't let that put you off it was a lovely place to have a quiet cosy quality time today ! Absolutely loved it !!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Tinkafairy
Dear Tinkafairy
Thank you for posting your review of Gisborough Hall on Tripadvisor. We are absolutely delighted that you had both a cosy and comfortable romantic break with us.
It was lovely reading your comments regarding our Revival Zone Spa, as too the lovely food that you enjoyed in Chaloner’s served by Johnathan and his team. We note your comments regarding the bar service and this is being addressed.
We do hope that you will return in the future to Gisborough Hall.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Unfortunately the service hasnt improved since my last visit, I get the impression the staff are frightened to serve you incase the get it wrong or may have to do a bit!
My problems started when I arrived, now I travel all over the country staying in different hotels, do I give my debit card for an authorisation to reception of course I do, yes we all do it, well not at the Gisborough hall you wont, the receptionist wasnt having it and of course she didnt have my booking what a carry on! I was made to feel very uncomfortable as a que started to form , I then had to phone our travel department to varify my booking.
Then to make it worse the service in the restuarnt was very poor.
But to top it all of in the morning when I went for breakfast the waitress wanted my to sign for my breakfast before she would bring it, but my company had paid for it, sorry I wont be back.
It does annoy me when hotel managers dont bother to read my reviews and rely, its their livliehood

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jimbo367
KimYardley, General Manager at Gisborough Hall Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Jimbo

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble in writing a review following your recent stay with us. We are not complacent about our standards and value all comments in order to improve.
I have read with interest your comments, I am however unable to answer them fully. I would be grateful if you called or e-mailed me direct: 01287 611501 gm.gisboroughhall@macdonald-hotels.co.uk and advised me of when you stayed, your details, so that I may investigate fully as to why we did not have your reservation?
I would also like to know in what respect the restaurant service was poor.

Kind regards
Pickering, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and myself have stayed here many times, this is by far the best hotel in the group. Wonderfull food , excellent service,johnny restaurant manager, and andrew reception manager. a perfect location. You will not be disapointed if you book this hotel well done kim and the team ! See u again soon

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank beacon2010
Dear beacon2010
Thank you so much for posting this fabulous review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us at Gisborough Hall.
I am delighted that you enjoyed the food and service so much and I know that both Johnathan and Andrew will be thrilled that they were recognised.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind regards
Kim Yardley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guisborough
Raithwaite Estate
#1 of 2 in Easington
Hunley Hotel and Golf Club
Hunley Hotel and Golf Club
#3 of 5 in Saltburn-by-the-Sea

Been to Gisborough Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!