“Charming”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chester, United Kingdom
“Charming”
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

What a beautiful setting for a hotel! We have just returned from a weekend break and found the hotel very welcoming. We had paid extra for a feature room and had a beautiful room overlooking the front gardens, only downside to the room- we had no cold running water at night and no coffee in the room, but the latter would have been easily rectified! Food in both restaurants was of a good quality & breakfast was faultless! Great location & would definately recommend .

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My Partner & I stayed for 3 nights at the beginning of October to recharge the batteries. On checking into the hotel, our room was a little drab but hats off to reception who moved us straight away to a beautiful suite with fantastic views, a four poster bed, Huge bathroom & one of the comfiest sofas ever in front of the fireplace! We ate in the Dining Room every evening & cannot fault the food (the best coffee pannacotta!!). All the staff are charming, welcoming & will go out of their way. The Service at the hotel is excellent & discreet.
One slight drawback, contrary to the Macdonald Website, there is no Leisure/Fitness facilities at this hotel which is quite misleading however, there is a Beauty Spa & I would recommend the massage.
Would we recommend this hotel - Yes
Would we stay again - Yes

Room Tip: The Terrace Suite is lovely
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
North York Moors National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I have just returned from staying one night at Guisborough Hall and apart from the unfortunate incident of the fire alarm going off early in the morning I found the hotel to be most acceptable. We (my partner & I) stayed overnight as we had attended the "Touch of Glass Ball" on the Saturday night at the Hotel (which incidently the Hotel had hosted previoulsy and supported). The staff were all friendly and helpful and the quality of the food both at the function on the Saturday night (when catering for a large number) and Breakfast was very good. Certainly didn't experience the poor service re the previouous comments. A nice hotel in a nice situation but they could definitely do with revisiting the sound insulation between the bedrooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
infoking
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My bête noir, gormless girls. Standing around gossiping in front of guests. Leaving piles of plates on tables whilst walking backwards and forwards empty handed. I am not interested in what mobile phone contract they have. Shocked that having stayed there some while no one seemed to know who I was. Two hours to serve dinner. Raw eggs at breakfast. A menu that was apparently too ambitious for the kitchen staff. Having to ask three or four times for an order whilst listening to more talk of boyfriends and mobile phones, not good at any price but definitely not even vaguely funny at these.

My particular favourite was the girl who asked if I wanted the red or the white Chardonnay but it was a close run thing with the one who told me I could not have anything to eat as service stopped at nine this being eight thirty five!

Customers who needs them?

On the good side one of the receptionists very welcoming and helpful, other not so. Beds very comfortable, rooms clean. Odd view of hillside out of front windows
Trees out of the back.

Quite noisy at weekends due to parties and weddings, but they pay the bills also very noisy television crew staying distracted staff.

I expect better of a large chain.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Staffordshire UK
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Having enjoyed a great time at a Macdonald hotel in Scotland, I had no hesitation in booking another MD hotel, it was for 1 night over the August bank hol weekend. Reception check in lady seemed a bit flustered, were given our room in the newer wing, as other people have said, quite a walk from main hotel and all the main rooms eg restaurant, bar etc. Room nice but not great. Thought we would spend sometime in the spa before dinner, but staff had gone home and hotel does not have a swimming pool. Went for dinner, having pre-booked a time, asked to sit in a drawing room, a bit of a wait before we were called in. Food very good, service a bit slow for us, seemed to be forgotten about a bit. Staff suggested we had a coffee afterwards in drawing room, it came after asking for it 3 times and about half an hour later. Did put a dampener on what should have been a great stay, it did cost a lot of money !!
Breakfast was very very good, again service was a bit slow. Would not rule out staying again, but would think twice.

Room Tip: Woodland wing rooms a bit far from main house, easier to walk around outside than try to find the in...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We had a two night break at Gisborough Hall on a DBB basis. Reception, dining room and cleaning staff were all extremely pleasant and welcoming throughout our stay. Our room was in the Old Hall section of the building which is close to reception, the bar and dining area. The Woodland Wing which also houses guests is a good walk from these amenities so I would recommend the Old Hall rooms particularly if you have difficulty walking longer distances. The building is very impressive and the Old Hall has lots of character.

Our room was adequate with desk, bed, sofa storage space and a television with Freeview. We also got a very strong and fast free wifi signal for the computer which was very welcome. The bathroom was clean and had a bath with shower above. There were the usual complimentary lotions and shampoos.

The evening meals were good but some were a bit over fancy for my taste, however, they were usually all well cooked and presented. My soup was a little salty on the first night but the steak that I ordered was cooked to my liking and very tasty. Overall the service and food quality was excellent.

My main issue with the food was the breakfast, no problem on the first morning, but on the second morning my poached egg was solid and tasted heavily of vinegar. I do struggle to understand why the evening meals were so good but the breakfast chef couldn't do a simple thing like poach an egg! I'm assuming that it was a different chef. The toast was also a little rubbery and we had to ask for forks as there were none in evidence on our table.

These are just minor issues but do tend to leave a slightly sour taste (or vinegary in my case), for a hotel that is so good in most other areas.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My friend and I had a two night break at this lovely Hotel which is really like a Stately Home. We took advantage of the Spa and had a lovely massage. We had the 3 course evening meal on our first night which was delicious. We had a feature room which was huge. The staff were all extremely helpful I would like to mention Anthony who organised our lovely room. The entrance to the Hotel is stunning with a small herd of Lamas in a paddock. Just a shame the Hotel had a power cut and were unable to provide a hot/cooked breakfast on our last morning.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guisborough
Raithwaite Estate
#3 of 4 in Saltburn-by-the-Sea
Crathorne Hall Hotel
Crathorne Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crathorne

Been to Gisborough Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!