“Average carvery”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We decided to try The Fox & Hounds as we live in Guisborough and it is nearby. The staff seemed a little bit confused about what was going on and there didn't seem to be anybody in charge. We opted for the carvery and sat by ourselves in the huge dining area which was a little bit daunting. Nobody let us know when we could go up to the carvery so we just had to guess! The food was nice (if a little too salty for my taste) with a good choice on the carvery and the price was reasonable. However, the staff weren't very welcoming or friendly and the whole place felt very confused so we probably won't be returning in a hurry.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

A large party of us had a Christmas lunch here today. The three course meal with coffee is excellent. The service was good. The place was very full indeed. Only problem was the high price of the drinks.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

There are BOGOF offers on the back of Morrisons receipts again, so it's that time of year to give the Fox and Hounds another try. Last year, the offer was limited to a small (and poor) selection of main meals, but now, it applies to any main meal from the menu - much better.

So, chicken fajitas for wifey, and Thai red curry for me. We enjoyed the meals - tasty and nicely presented - but at around £12 each, we both felt they'd have been poor value without the two-for-one offer.

1  Thank L3K
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

My grandma treated me & my sister to a meal out for helping her with a few things lately.

We got to decide where to go. After checking the menus and prices at various places, we decided on here as the menu selection looked good and the prices weren't bad at all. We got a sick when we arrived the there though.

The actual bar menu was way more expensive than what it says online. Clearly it hadn't been updated in quite some time, but this wasn't our problem. I thought that maybe it was due to being sat in the restaurant rather than the bar, so I asked the waitress. She said it's the same price in the restaurant & the bar.

Some example are as follows:

On the online menu, a light bite chicken parmesan was £5.99 whilst the large was £8.99. The vegetarian fajitas were also the same prices for both the small or large. On the actual menu, the light bite chicken parmesan is now £8.50 & the large is £11.00. The most shocking rise was the fajitas. These now come in just one portion size, and the price is a whopping £12.50. The price jumps are really significant. Especially with the tiny portion sizes.

My sister & my grandma both got the light bite chicken parmesan, thinking that for £8.50 it would still be a reasonable size. I felt sorry for them when it came. It was so small that it was actually funny. My sis decided to count her chips....and got 8 chips with it lol.

Mine was a mushroom stroganoff which wasn't bad price wise, but portion wise, it was on the small side. There was a very small bundle of rice in the middle, hidden under the stroganoff, with a small portion of the actual stroganoff on top. It had more peppers in it than actual mushrooms. I'm glad I ordered an extra portion of chips to go with it but I got about 10 chips lol. What's going on lol? We were going to get starters but after finding out the actual price of everything, we declined. That starter might have helped to fill us up though lol. They had risen significantly.

Don't get me wrong, the food was tasty. Not excellent.....but we'd have eaten them again if it wasn't for the price and minute portions. The waitress said she'd pass the comments on with regards to the difference in prices but there was no offer to reflect those prices online or to apply a discount & I do think that was wrong. I felt guilty for choosing this place & my grandma having to pay for the food, due to the prices being much more than they were supposed to be.

The only way I'd visit again, is if the prices were lowered to the former reasonable prices, or by getting hold of a buy one get one free voucher. Sad really, because it's always seemed like a nice place.

2  Thank AdventurousShel
Reviewed October 7, 2013

we came on friday 4th october at about 8pm, we booked a table in the restaurant. the pub itself was a little quiet especially for a friday night. we ordered 2 starters (garlic mushrooms & the duck spring rolls) which were both good. mains we ordered 3 carveries and 1 steak, the steak was very good and cooked to perfection, and the carveries were also good with the meat being very tender, the only critique would be that the selection of the veg on the carvery was not to everyones taste, but it was still very enjoyable...would recommend a visit if you are in the area...