“Judge for yourself!”

Ranked #5 of 5 Yarm B&B and Inns
England
“Judge for yourself!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

For me, luxury is about attention to detail - you will have to make your own judgement on this place - which incidentally is a £7 taxi ride to Yarm, probably more when the traffic is busy.

Mmm.... Stayed in the new "stable block" it has been done up to a high standard - but that is not kept up. The tiled floor is high gloss, but with mop marks all over it - which does somewhat ruin the desired effect.
We had a 2 night stay and the room was not 'done' after the first night, so we made our own beds and cleaned out cups etc. The tea and coffee basket had a bus ticket in it dated 3 weeks earlier - so no one had checked it for a while..which does not say luxury to me!
The breakfast is a choice of cereals and on both mornings out of date muller type yogurts, the cooked breakfast was a no choice affair with some cheap ingredients, but not the sausage which was good. Also, worth noting that breakfast is an added extra of I think £7.50 each - not worth it - go into a cafe on Yarm main st and you will get better and cheaper

The downer for me was the fact our bathroom had not been cleaned I know this because the previous occupant's shampoo and conditioner were still by the basin and - this is not for the squeamish - the previous occupant's poo was in the loo - only a small amount, but it should have been cleaned. There is no soap in the bathrooms, we know this as our friends also commented on it.
You do get offered a drink of wine or a beer, the wine itself was not very nice, but it is a nice gesture.
I know it is a family home - but I didn't really expect to circumnavigate the large pile of shoes at the bottom of the stairs to their living areas?
Oh and what you should definitely know is that there are interconnecting doors to the rooms on either side- through which you can hear a little too much! We had a drunk couple rowing about 2-3 am - I got so fed up that I just banged on the door and shouted back at them.
I will try and up load a couple of photos, but may to ask for help from hubby for that. We paid £183 for 2 nights, not worth it.

1 Thank hopefulcaribbean

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Edinburgh
Reviewed April 30, 2013

cannot believe any reviews...
don't be excited as you won't be staying in the mill building. it's an extension to the rear and it's seriously outdated (not talking about antique/beautiful)
i was mislead to believe that i am getting a luxury(as stated) double room for my first date night with a beautiful french gf but ended up splitting up that very hour we entered this cheap place.
beds were not clean, linens were not changed. there was food particles and stains of blood and tissues under the pillow
as well that they gave me a twin room knowing that a well presented couple are checking-in.
complained -reply was i just came on shift, i will let them know
asked for a iron, told to bring the clothes down all the way from outside to the iron belongs to a house(not hotel i understood) with lot of holes on the ironing board which i had a convince her and take it myself upstairs and was asked to bring it back when done.
clean shower rooms but i wont be staying inside the shower room

5 Thank RooEdinburgh

Travelers are raving about these Yarm hotels

Teesside
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed for the 2nd time at The Old Mill and I'm very happy to report my stay was a lovely as the 1st time if not better! Andy and Zoe were as welcoming as ever. I stayed in room 1 this time which is adjoining the windmill, great room and spotlessly clean.

This time we went into Yarm rather than eating at the pub at the end of the lane, ate at Santoros restaurant can't recommend it enough, not cheap but really worth the money!

Having stayed before we brought out swimming things to have a dip in the outdoor jacuzzi which was nice after we got back, bottle of wine in the spa went down a treat.

Andy looked after us for breakfast which I must say was even better than last time I stayed, Andy was telling me they'd found a new local farm supplier for there bacon and sausage - a1 breakfast and too much to eat. As always nothing was a problem, really after great hosts, I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Irisheyesaresmilling
Durham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The staff made us all feel welcome with the complimentary drink on arrival. We where shown to our room which was room 2 family room, very comfortable, and nice modern bathrooms. Breakfast spectacular with lovely local sausages which I believe makes a decent breakfast.
Thanks again for making our stay great, the hot tub in the garden was lovely and you are allowed to take your own alchol with you

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tracy F
Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I would just like to thank all the staff at the old mill for a wonderful stay, really enjoyed the set up of breakfast which we all shared a very large breakfast table, the rooms are modern and clean and I would recommend the local pub for food.

Room Tip: Book Room 1 excellent
Newcastle and Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed here on NYE 2012. I worked late and got to the hotel around 8:30. I received an email from the reception that my key to the room would be behind the door on the reception because the reception would be closed after 6pm. We weren't doing anything special in the night, It was booked late minuet just to get away for the evening. The room itself was really quirky. We didn't actually go into mill but it did look really cute and quirky. The bathroom in the room was brilliant. Lovely and warm. Had everything we need. We will defiantly be coming back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed at this lovely B+B with two colleagues and was delighted with the quirkiness! My room was warm and comfortable with a good bed and crisp, clean linen. A flat screen TV and hospitality tray completed the room. The bathroom again was clean with a power shower in a stand alone cubicle (no bath) and the towels were large.

You won't find your little extras here like a ironing board and hairdrier in every room but these are available from reception. If you are fussy about what you wash your hair with, you'll want to bring your own too but then I do that wherever I am going!

Breakfast was lovely; the full English is cooked to order and there is yogurt, cereals, toast and jams if you're going continental. Take time over breakfast to chat with the owners, they are lovely people who genuinely want to make their guests as comfortable as possible and have an amusing story or two to tell as they go!

Not to be missed is the pub down the lane - we only went for a drink but the food looked good!

Will be back...

Room Tip: Speak to the owners directly and tell them what you need, they are so helpful.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yarm
Crathorne Hall Hotel
Claireville Hotel
Claireville Hotel
#7 of 9 in Stockton-on-Tees
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel

Been to The Old Mill Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!