“too darn hot !!”

Ranked #5 of 5 Yarm B&B and Inns
Scarboprough
“too darn hot !!”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed at the old mill mid week, my daughter had an interview at Teeside uni at 8,30 am , we were only driving from scarborough but deceided it stay over the night before so she could get a good nights sleep and we wouldnt have to leave home at 6am . We arrived at about 730pm checked in and were shown to our room i have to say the furniture and certainly the carpet had seen better days (really badly stained ) time for a wash and brush up i think ! but .the room was really WARM and the bedding clean . My daughter was not well with a sinus infection so we just stayed in and watched tv the room got hotter and hotter we tried to turn the thermostat down on the radiator but it didnt work :( by 11 30 we were both so hot we thought we were going to human combust !! .and my daughter could barley breathe..we had to open the door for for 10 mins to cool down the room..... so much for a good nights sleep! We went to
breakfast exhausted at 7.15am .. to my amazement ,we sat at a school hall table with strangers drinking mugs of tea (quit strange ) although i have to say the cooked english breakfast was very good ! and gentleman and the young man serving it were very pleasant too,.... would i stay here again ?,,,,,,,, probably not .!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank e7wlk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2012

this has to have been the best bed and breakfast i have ever stayed in. it was very friendly and welcoming, the lady on reception was very chatty and the owner went out of her way to accomodate us(i forgot to pack a clutch bag to go out on the evening so the owner lent me one of her own which i thought was very nice of her). we stayed in the cranary which was lovely and very clean, we got complimentry drinks on arrival and were invited to join the owners for another drink before we went out for the evening. breakfast was a full english cooked by the owner herself and it was delicious. overall i would rate it 10 out of 10 and would definately go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My fiancé and I stayed here on a voucher we reviewed for an engagement present we cannot comment on value for money but I believe it is around £60-£70 per night.

We stayed in the woodstore, room 4 it wasn't how I imagined it would be, we weren't actually staying in the mill, I was a but miffed but soon got over it!! The room was nice and clean with quite neutral decoration and a small TV.

Just a couple if things about the room, the bed was really short, this was a problem for my partner!! He is 5 foot 10, my partner noticed a few little thing about the joinery work, (he is a joiner by trade). Nothing anyone else would notice!! It was a bit drafty under the door think there was a small gap!! The pipes did wake me up they were VERY loud and i am not a good morning person I was not amused!! Overall though clean and nice!!

Customer service was mainly very good, the young man on the desk was lovely, we got our complimentary drink in arrival very good. At breakfast time andy was very friendly, had a good chat about the area and things to do. He seemed very eager to please. The lady, I presume his wife, was not unpleasant however she seem to not really be a people person, I asked her if I could have some sweeteners for my coffee, she said I'll have a look. The chucked one on the table. I had to laugh, it was clear that was all I was getting!!! All the other guests chuckled as well!!!

The breakfast was fine, andy does this alone and seemed to manage well despite there being a lot of people at the table. The table situation to me felt a little bit uncomfortable, it was a long table with benches either side to sit on. You are forced to sit right next to perfect strangers, I felt a bit uncomfortable with this. Might have been better if I had a bit more personal space!

Overall a nice place to stay and if we had paid full price would be relatively happy. We would probably ask to have breakfast at the least busy time!! So we could sit alone with space!! I would also bring my own sweeteners.

• Stayed November 2012
Torpoint, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Tucked away up a lane a couple of hundred yards from the Covert Fox Inn this converted Windmill is the centre piece of this expanding B&B. The windmill itself is occupied by the owners but accommodation is behind and to the side in a separate block which are all comfortably appointed. Breakfast is huge or as small as you want it, cooked to order with good banter from Andy the owner/chef. I have used this B&B on many occasion and never had cause to complain.
The owners also have a few apartments and a small cottage that they rent out.

Room Tip: Try for one of the new rooms in the block opposite the windmill
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We were greeted with a glass if wine and showed to our lovely room very spacious, free view, tea coffee facilities. New bathrooms with roomy shower and all very tastefully decorated. Breakfast served in the windmill the bedrooms aren't great choice including full English. Only downside is you have to drive into yarm itself too far to walk, there is a great pub 2 mins walk away that does good food if you don't want to drive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2012

we were staying here for one night, and the morning we were due to leave the electricity cut out, which meant the hot water for the shower didnt work either. This went on for one hour, in which time no member of staff was on hand to resolve the problem, despite leaving our room to try find someone. we were forced to leave the b and b without having been able to use the facillities we had paid for. we later made a complaint both on the phone and in writing, only to receive an aggressive response from the owner who refused to offer any sort of refund, and went on to accuse us of being ignorant to the fact that everyone knows there are problems with electricity supply in the north east of england!

• Stayed September 2012
5 Thank leosmith1987

Travelers are raving about these Yarm hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

We stayed this weekend and had a wonderful night in a beautiful, clean and tastefully decorated room. The shower was fantastic and room for two! The building is gorgeous and the only disappointment was that it is occupied by the owners and staying in the actual mill is not an option. Breakfast was a full English cooked in front of us with the option of fruit and cereals.

We will definitely visit again.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank BlazeFalconburger
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yarm
Judges Country House Hotel
Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge
Field View B&B
Field View B&B
#3 of 5 in Yarm

Been to The Old Mill Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!