“Third time lucky?!”
Review of Strickland & Holt

Strickland & Holt
Ranked #20 of 54 Restaurants in Yarm
Cuisines: Cafe
Description: The light, airy café within our family-run department store captures on a plate the same elements of quality, personal service and good taste as the rest of the shop.We serve the very best teas and coffees to go with delicious scones and cakes that are all baked in-house here in Yarm. Even our bread is made on the premises in our new in-store artisan bakery.Or perhaps you’re looking for something more substantial? Soups, sandwiches and light meals are served all day.The café is a great spot to meet up with friends or family, take the children for a treat, or just grab a chance for a quiet catch up with the papers.Customers from years gone by may recall the coffee shop on our first floor. Rest assured, you’ll find here the same emphasis on fresh-made food created from top quality ingredients.Old favourites that people travel far and wide to find include our gorgeous granary Yarm Bread and the unique and best-selling Yarm Salad Dressing (the recipe is top secret).Add to these some fantastic new creations, and there really is no excuse not to drop by soon and taste our wares!You’ll also find an interesting range of food & drink and culinary gifts to take away.When the weather is warm, you might choose to enjoy a drink al fresco on our pleasant terrace.Strickland & Holt. Where every department is a world of its own.
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Sorry to say that this was my third visit (so I did try you again even though the first and second times were not that great either) and each time it was not a pleasant experience. Dirty uncleared tables...I had to ask for the table to be cleared....when I managed to spot someome, eventually. the tablet was not cleaned after clearing something I cannot accept. I cleaned it myself with a tissue and hand wash from my bag!

We asked for a jacket potato (It was 1.30pm). We were told you had none left. So your poor planning left me with no meal and just a toasted teacake, which was burnt.....we could could smell burning in the cafe. The waitress tried to give me the burnt teacake to me..... in the hope that I would accept it! I asked for another and had to point out it was burnt...how embarrassing...for both of us.

And finally.....the person at the till didn't bother to clear the previous person's bill and, therefore, it had to be worked out manually as the total was completely wrong. Also embarrassing! Such a pity as the setting and shop looks ideal.

2  Thank Karen G
GarethD72, Public Relations Manager at Strickland & Holt, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Sorry for the delayed reply to this Karen and thanks for taking the trouble to write. We were very sorry to read of your disappointing visits to the café. All of the problems you point out are unacceptable and we can only apologise. We are continuously reviewing staff training, as well as the quantities of food we make available - as you will appreciate, the balance between sufficiency and waste is a fine one...
You would of course be welcomed back to give us another chance at any time. Please ask for Paddy Morton, store manager.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

I have been going to the cafe for a year now and every time the food has been brilliant and very reasonably priced. Today I had the sweet potato gratin and it was gorgeous. The coffee is far better than other cafes/coffee shops and it is busy because it is so good. The only thing I would change is to be able to order breakfast items throughout the day (especially on a Saturday) when a late breakfast is just the thing. I bring all my friends here and they all love it too. Keep up the good work!

Reviewed December 6, 2012

A wonderful upmarket 'bazzar' of goods, the little toys you had forgotten about, spinning tops, dolly pegs, yo yos etc. Beautiful gifts and an array of present ideas. You can then walk through to a wonderful coffee shop with the most amazing home made scones. Do not walk past.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Great shop with many depts. so much to look at a good selection. Cafe good and the fresh bread is very tasty.Great for Christmas gifts.

1  Thank smugglenortheast
Reviewed November 24, 2012

This gorgeous little cafe at the back of an amazing shop sells the best scones anywhere!! Sometimes have to wait for a table as can be busy on a weekend but staff are always courteous and friendly.

1  Thank 205SusanB