“Let down. Sorry!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Santoro

Santoro
Ranked #4 of 51 Restaurants in Yarm
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Let down. Sorry!”
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Booked a table in advance and had to wait thirty minutes to be sat down. Fifteen minutes without a drink or service.

Decor dated throughout. I know thats not everything in a restaurant but we tend to eat out as a treat or event as don't do it regularly so nice to feel special when walk in-decor helps! Food okay but in all honestly could have made it ourselves. House wine not the best as quite sharp though could have opted for a pricier decent wine i guess. Generally felt let down as had heard good things for a long time about this place. We wouldnt return because of other restaurants on the high street that offer better quality, environment and value. I hope feedback can be taken constructively to improve what, historically and obviously, was a great eatery.

1 Thank victoriaanne85

“Disappointing”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We booked a table for 8.30 but did not get seated until 9.10. The bar staff were friendly and polite. We ordered our food before being shown to our table which was a bit odd. As we had driven half an hour to the restaurant we did not want to see the wine list, the waiter was not impressed by this and made a comment about us making our only drinks we had ordered last all night. The food was ok.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful perfect valentine”
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

What a lovely restaurant really pleasant and friendly drink at table on arrival while u choose ur meal,
Was shown to our seats very relaxed atmosphere loved id I had Porto bells mushrooms , portobella was handsome. Had the chicken pasta dish for main which was very filling all in all the food was outstanding staff very friendly and was perfect for a valentine will be returning 100%

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

I live within a few miles of Santoros and heard so many people say how great it is, but somehow I have never been there before, so with valentines approaching, I thought I would take my Fiancée for dinner.

When we arrived (20 mins early) there was only a bar stool available in the waiting area, but that was fine, as I like to stand in a bar. We were greeted very quickly by the maitre d and he took out drinks orders and gave us menus. I had to ask for the wine menu.

It's a quirky little place, as with most of the buildings in Yarm it is long and narrow and therefore quite cramped, but not uncomfortable.

The first thing that struck me were the table cloths. Plastic! At a decent restaurant I would expect linen.
I ordered the page to start and found it quite bland and not the smooth rich delight I was expecting. My Fiancée had the portobello mushrooms which she loved.

The red wine we were recommended was not at all full bodied as we were told, in fact it was quite bitter and ended up ordering the Rioja that I was going to order in the first place.

For mains, I ordered the filet steak and my fiancée the pasta with chicken and shrimps which looked a small portion but she was very satisfied. I was disappointed with my steak, quite a lot of gristle and fat. In fact, maybe they got the order wrong as it was more like a thick sirloin! I noticed the gentleman beside us also had a filet steak and it looked much better and more like what I was expecting. In retrospect I should have asked them to get me another, but I don't like to fuss, so I only have myself to blame.

I had the cheese selection to finish. The cheese was very nice, although not very much of it and just a few ordinary supermarket crackers and the same chutney that came with my starter. I would have liked a cheese knife rather than the ordinary knife I was given and the bog standard plate wasn't too visually appealing either.

I probably expected to much from Santoros, but after all the hype over the years , it was a big let down. An average restaurant at best. There are far better places in an around Teesside.

1 Thank Dave_Erimus
Yarm, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Food - Friendly Staff”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My favourite restaurant in Yarm. Love the food, excellent prices, really lovely, friendly staff and owners.

My only niggle - is that it maybe needs a little updating nowadays. It's been the same decor for years and maybe needs bringing up to 2013. Certainly won't stop us going though.

For those who have never been. Cheese Souffle starter is the best ever and the New York Strip is really lovely..

Visited December 2012