“Kept expecting Jeremy Beadle to show his face”
Review of Raj Bari

Raj Bari
Ranked #34 of 54 Restaurants in Yarm
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We arrived at 6.30pm. There were only 2 other tables in and plenty of staff so we were hopeful of great service. The four of us were seated and we ordered drinks. We were choosing from the menu when a waiter brought the drinks on a tray at an angle that didn't look safe to say the least. He straightened his tray up and the worry dropped from our faces. Our eyes returned to the menu....only for the drinks to come crashing down from a height all over myself, the table and the floor. An apology was slow coming and when it did it was hardly said with feeling. I dried myself down and we were offered the next table. I chose another table as the floor was saturated and they needed to get in and clear up the mess. We were re-seated and more drinks came. We were told the waiter's mother had just died. Why was he at work? It was hardly necessary on such a quiet night. We asked for our soaked in lager Poppadums to be replaced and one new menu as mine was soaked and left on the first table. 5 minutes later I got up and asked at the front desk for another menu. The starters arrived next. We were told there would be no charge for our poppadums and they were on the house. We said we still hadn't received them so there'd better not be a charge. My starter was placed in front of me and it looked like someone had eaten most of it. It was meant to be a kebab but it was about 3 inches long. I was told there would be no charge for this as they hadn't got enough to put the full dish together. Why didn't they just tell me this and I could have chosen something else? The service was shocking we were sat with empty glasses and had to keep asking for drinks. Having eaten my "kebab" served with shredded lettuce and HALF a cherry tomato the poppadums arrived. By now (gone 8pm) I was very hungry and we asked how long it would be for our mains when they were brought to the table immediately followed by a round of drinks which the waitress managed to throw over us (Yes, again!). We pointed out the food which was swimming in lager and we were debating whether we were going to stay and wait for the mains to be cooked whilst being seated at a 3rd table when within a minute of my curry being taken away a "fresh" one was delivered. I questioned what appeared to be the owner or manager how he could get hot fresh food out in less than a minute when it had taken so long previously. Convinced it was the same curry, that was the final straw, and we all got up and walked out without paying for anything. We ended up getting a takeaway and going back to our friends house.

2  Thank lizzie4nige

Reviewed January 2, 2013

admittedly it was New Years Eve but we had booked a table for 2 for 8.30.Arrived about 8.25 to total chaos.They had no idea who had booked, nothing was written down.We ended up having to share a table with another couple or we would still be waiting> They had also booked a table for 2. The service was appauling, i had to ask 5 times for a glass of wine. The food was only warm and my plate had been outside i think. It was freezing. All in all a terrible experience made worse by the attitude of the senior staff. To be honest it looked to me as if they were cramming as many people as possible in without regard for the comfort of the customers. Pure greed on their part. Certainly wont be returning or recommending it to anyone else.

2  Thank Jules6046
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Food,atmosphere and service is great as always! Good value for money.I am a regular and also enjoy the takeaway.Staff are always extremely helpful.....

Reviewed December 12, 2012

The night started off ok with upgrading to a party meal. This included a shared starter & any main. The starter was average however, When my main arrived it was cold. Therefore I asked for it to be re- cooked. After trying to explain this to them they then argued with me saying I had eaten most of it. I then got something different which was again average. My boyfriend did not enjoy his at all and left most of it. They could have easily resolved this problem but there service and attitude towards customers was terrible and I would not recommend this place to anyone.

1  Thank Emms15
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Visited the Raj Bari on a Sunday evening. I was pleasantly surprised that there was a buffet instead of a sit down meal as, in my opinion, too much of the same dish can get boring.
There was plenty of choice of indian snacks e.g. samosa, pakora etc, and (to my memory) four curry dishes, mixture of different naan breads, rice and popadoms.
All the food was hot and lovely.
Service was really good and at £9.95 each it was cheaply priced.
Would definitely go again.