The Quay Hotel & Spa
  • Beachfront
Hydro Hotel(Llandudno)
  • Breakfast included
2,868 results
All reviewsconwy castlecupcakespenthouse suitesauna and steam roomrelaxation roomleisure facilitiesmodern hotelafternoon teanorth walesoverlooking the marinathe ground floorlovely locationevening meallarge bathroombirthday treatrestaurant stafffirst class
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We visited the Quay Hotel and Spa for a birthday afternoon tea, as a group of thirteen and sat outside on a lovely summers day. There is no better place to be, absolutely stunning views of the river and Conwy with its castle and walls. We had afternoon tea, a few drinks and watched as the sun started to descend on the river. We all enjoyed the our afternoon thoroughly and intend to return to stay overnight in the near future.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jono0303
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your excellent feedback, following your Afternoon Tea visit. Great to know your party enjoyed the birthday celebrations at the Quay with our stunning views on a lovely summer's afternoon.

Good to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and intend to return and stay overnight. I look forward to welcoming you back on that occasion.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We got a deal for our anniversary on travelzoo which included 2 nights, room upgrade, dinner on 1st night and breakfast. Room we were given was huge and had balcony with most amazing views over deganwy estuary. Meal in restaurant was fantastic for both dinner and breakfast. I was 7 months pregnant so my husband treated me to a pregnancy massage in the spa which made the trip extra special. Staff across the hotel were so friendly and helpful. Trying to come back for this years anniversary just unfortunately is a bit too expensive without the travelzoo deal which is such a shame.

Room Tip: Definately upgrade to a room with views over estuary
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sarah m

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent 2 night stay at the Quay. Delighted to hear of your appreciation of our lovely rooms with amazing views from your balcony, fantastic dining experiences and the special treat massage!

Glad to hear my staff were all friendly and helpful and you would like to return. Do look out on our website for future special deals and family accommodation.

May we wish you every happiness on the birth of your baby and look forward to welcoming you all back on another occasion.

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is lovely for a relaxing break but I would recommend not to eat in the restaurant - overpriced, small portions, poor service. This is such a shame as it really lets the hotel down.
The rooms however are gorgeous - lovely balcony or terrace overlooking the estuary or marina. Sky tv also in rooms.
The pool is nice and clean with loungers at the side, the gym is ok - not huge but what you would expect from a hotel that size. 3 running machines, couple of bikes, cross trainer and weights. The room was also cool which is good.
Restaurant:-
On arrival we were given a 'reduced' menu and asked to order in advance as we were a table of 8! Why reduced???!!! I asked if we could order from the main menu and after a few minutes and talking to various staff they agreed!! The restaurant manager says we were given the reduced menu as the food on the menu was easier to cook and they were busy that night!! I'm sorry but I don't find that acceptable. Also don't really like pre ordering food but agreed to do this for our party of 8. Took me a while to track everyone down with their food choices but I took the completed form to them at 3.30pm. A staff member then wanted to know what sweets we wanted! Was not told this before and was not given a sweet menu! Also you really don't know if you would like a sweet until after your mains. Anyway she said she needed to tell the pastry chef! So I spent another 15 mins calling everyone asking what sweet they would like. Decided to all decline sweet apart from 1 person. We couldn't think about sweets so easier to not have one at this stage. Surely it wouldn't be too much hassle to order on the night after our meal - just like everyone else in the restaurant??
Arrived for meal and starters served - all but 2! Seemed to have forgotten them! Then they asked what we ordered!! I only wrote it down for them 4 hours ago!! Mussels were not the best - many not open.
Main courses - ok but small portions. Steak we asked (in writing! For well done came out bloody) sent it back but still
No better. Couldn't stand any hassle of sweet ordering as we knew it would be a problem so we left. A bottle of wine was given complimentary on the evening to make up for the hassle which they charged us for at departure - more hassle at reception!
Breakfast - no toast offered so had to ask. Not enough staff on - had to ask for coffee. When it came it was just water - asked again for coffee!
On another note one of our party's room was not booked for the first night so they had to change rooms after 1 night.
All in all what should have been a relaxing weekend turned into quite a stressful one.
Spoke to the duty manager on departure who gave me his card for booking next time.
Ate in the Castle View pub in Deganwy and would recommended. Half the price of the grill in the hotel with better service and food. They could cope with a table of 8 very well! Food came out together and we did not have to pre order!!
All in all would stay again if price was right but would not eat in restaurant. Conwy is a quaint busy town which is walkable or 5 min drive. Llandudno also only 10 mins away by car.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank lilac22
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your great comments, following your recent 2 night stay with us. Good to know you found the DBB special deal rates excellent, the hotel very clean with brilliant spa facilities and the room spacious with those extra touches much appreciated. Delighted to hear you enjoyed your evening meal with amazing food and service.
I am sorry that the Rose Wine was not provided in your room on arrival and I am currently investigating this shortfall. Your valued observations regarding check in time and a complimentary drink with those on dinner packages is welcomed and will be discussed with my team. I would, however, say that Check-in time is always a fine balance between allowing departing guests’ time to check-out without a rush and yet having rooms ready for incoming guests. You will appreciate that we have 74 rooms to service to a high standard and we do offer an early check-in facility which you may wish to take advantage of on your next visit.

Earlier in the year we did amend check-in to 3pm instead of 4pm. We guarantee the accommodation available as from 3pm, but you may well arrive before this time and if the room is ready, many guests are able to go straight to their room. As you may be aware, it does not matter however early you arrive, even if your rooms are not ready, we should be pleased to store you luggage, leaving you free to enjoy all the facilities of the hotel and start as soon as you arrive.
Good to note that you will definitely be returning and, if you did not receive your Rose later in your stay this time, I should be more than happy to ensure that it is provided on your next visit.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Lovely decor, food okay, but overpriced. My complaint is the service. For lunch in the bar, I had to twice ask when our meal (one course) was coming. For my birthday, my son had booked in the restaurant, and the first 'surprise' was being asked to pre-book the meal, except the menu was never sent! On the day on my treat, booked for 7.30pm. I phoned at 3.30pm to ask for the menu to be emailed, phoned back at 4.30pm, to be told not to worry, as the chef had said we could order that evening! I commented that this was 'normal' for a hotel. In the event, the meal took 3 hours, and I even had to ask when the desert was coming, after half an hour. The lady maitre d'hotel, was full of apologies. I shudder to think the final bill total, my son picked up. He wasn't happy staying there either (but that's another story) I cannot comment, of course, on the hotel itself

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Brian L

Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback following your recent dining disappointments at the Quay. I do apologise that the experience was not as we would have wished and would confirm I have discussed the issues with my team to help improve the service standards.

It was most regrettable that your birthday was marred by the hotel shortfalls and do hope you will consider a return visit at some time in the future. When you have a date in mind, do contact me directly and I should be pleased to take care of your reservation personally.

I look forward to hearing from you on that occasion and welcoming you back to the Quay for a much improved experience.

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We came here for a wedding and would not normally have stayed at such an expensive place if it weren't for the occasion. The food for the wedding was lovely. Our room was very spacious, clean and had all the extras you expect at this standard- free bottled water, fridge, trouser press, bathrobes etc. the real bonus was the full sky package in the lounge and bedroom. On the down side the shower was very poor, low pressure and the fittings were falling off. We did have it looked at twice with a slight improvement. We had a fab couple of nights but will not return as we don't need all the extras and the showers are better at premier inns!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback following your visit to attend a wedding at the Quay Hotel Thank you for your kind comments regarding the wedding food and all the facilities available for you in your specious and clean room. I do apologise for the maintenance issue with the shower.

Delighted to know that you had a "fab couple of nights!" and perhaps you would consider a return visit as a special treat!

Do hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.