“Very Poor Service”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Deganwy
London, United Kingdom
“Very Poor Service”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

On arriving late one night, I was disappointed to find the room was not as described. I had booked an executive room because of the balcony and views. I wanted to relax in the morning and gather my thoughts in preparation for my much loved Grandmother's funeral while looking over a view we'd shared many times together.

Arriving in the room I found it did not have a balcony and the next morning had to reposition two chairs and peep over the window ledge or stand at the window to see out. Given my expectation of a balcony, and my special reason for wanting one, you can understand my annoyance. While a large room, it was not in very good order. The shower pressure was dire, and the room was incredibly hot because of the heat coming from the mini bar fridge. The mattress on the bed was also incredibly thin - at least half the thickness of other hotels I've stayed in at the same price.

I wrote a feedback card expressing my dissatisfaction with some of these points and stated that the room was "the worst room" - meaning the worst executive room they had. I received a letter from the general manager who said:

"Room 247 is a very large and spacious room, with two bathrooms and stunning views from both windows. I am sorry if this was disappointing for you. I'm at a loss to understand your remark..."

He obviously has no intention of improving people's experience of the hotel. Compared to the other executive rooms, room 247 IS a disappointment. I saw the other executive rooms as they were being cleaned - just what I had expected - I would have been very happy in these rooms.

Also, the extra bathroom he referred to was an accessible bathroom which was behind a door off the main bathroom. Neither bathroom was to a luxury standard in my opinion. I would describe the room overall as cavernous and with and empty feeling.

My advice for the general manager would be to actually listen to his customer's views and offer that disappointing "executive room" as a generous "superior room" thereby eliminating any potential disappointment. He also needs to think about his commitment to customer service. His closing phrase "I am most concerned that you feel the way you do..." is entirely irreconcilable with the rest of this letter which tries to tell me that my comments are unfounded!

This is how to turn a trip for a sad occasion into a terrible experience!
Oh well, they've got my money and that's all they're concerned about.

On the positive side the staff are very friendly and polite (My service rating below relates to the general manager's response). Yhe gentleman that welcomed us at 1.30am after a very long drive was very good, if a little surprised at the time. The room service breakfast was also a good size and tasty.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony ahead of time and don't accept a room without one for the same pri...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Neil S
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback. I am sorry to hear of the disappointments encountered and that my previous response to your concerns has not clarified the issues for you.

It was unfortunate that, having booked an Executive Room you expected a balcony and this particular room does not offer that facility. Perhaps you were unaware that this fact is made clear on our website page which describes the amenities of our Executive Suites.

“Please note that one of our largest Executive rooms does not feature a balcony or terrace but still offers stunning views of the Estuary from the two picture windows.”

I would also mention that you made the booking on line and therefore did not speak to a member of the Quay reservation team, who would have advised you at the time of booking that Room 247 did not offer a balcony.

A few days prior to your visit, you kindly sent an email to confirm your late arrival , but did not mention your preference for a room with a balcony in the email. If you had, we would have been pleased to have tried to accommodate your wishes. I would further clarify that rooms are allocated as the reservations are made and your misunderstanding that arriving late, meant you were allocated a lesser room, is not correct.

I do apologise that you experienced some concerns within the room and assure you I have listened to your opinion of the mattress, water pressure and heat from the chiller and, as promised in my letter, I am investigating your valued feedback.

It is good to know that my staff were friendly and polite and you enjoyed the room service breakfast. I do hope I have explained matters more fully for you and trust you will consider a future visit on a happier occasion. My sincere condolences on your grandmother’s passing.

Yours sincerely

Steve Ogden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Only stayed one night but an amazing experience.
From the moment we arrived the staff could not be anymore friendly or helpful. We booked an executive room as wanted the views over the estuary ( as they are better than the classic rooms) we had a DBB deal.
The room was great large room with plenty of space a balcony to seat out on and enjoy the views, the bathroom is perfect. The room was spotless and in general good not fault the accommodation.
We spent some time in the spa and the reception staff also friendly and helpful. Only downside there is not much power or bubbles in the spa but everything is clean and the pool is very nice.
Evening meal was included but if you want something else that isnt included there is a supplement ranging from £2-£12. Im still not exactly sure how the supplement pricing works!
The staff friendly and efficient. The restaurant manager was very attentive and worked hard in the restaurant to ensure everyone was enjoying there evening. The food was lovely, well presented and cooked just right. A faultless evening service.
Breakfast I would recommend room service and eating on the balcony as the sunrises. The breakfast was great. Nothing more can be said.
In general a great night cant fault anything and thats why Im returning for a 2 night stay in a penthouse suite.
Thank you to all the staff at The Quay

Room Tip: Go for executive with the great view or if splashing out penthouse suite 272 it has a double balcony
Dear Guest

Thank you for your generous comments following your recent one night stay with us at the Quay. So pleased to hear that you seemed to have enjoyed every moment, from your large room with great balcony views, spa experience, lovely well presented dinner a breakfast room service.

Your kind words have been forwarded on to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for your Penthouse return visit!

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely beautiful rooms with an even more amazing view! The suited were clean and modern. The staff was friendly and helpful. We stayed at this hotel on a tour of the UK. It was one of the highlights of the tour. If you are staying here make dinner reservations- very limited choices.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank LoveMyGators
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great feedback, following your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that the Quay Hotel was the highlight of your tour and you found our rooms beautiful with amazing views and my staff friendly and helpful.

Do hope you can visit us again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I booked 1 night as a birthday treat for my boyfriend. I mentioned it was a birthday and we got to our room (which was very nice indeed) to find a card and cupcakes from the hotel which was so lovely!
Our evening meal was simply amazing and the staff couldnt have been anymore helpful.
We used the spa facilities the following day and both had massages, which were out of this world...I think we floated out of the treatment room!
We enjoyed our 1 night break so much we got home and booked a 2 night stay for November....we cant wait to come back!

1 Thank Jayne B
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your great posting, so pleased the birthday treat stay was such a success and you both enjoyed a great room, amazing evening meal, spa and massages.

Good to hear that you so enjoyed your time with us that you have already booked a 2 night stay for November - very much looking forward to welcoming you back in the autumn.

lancashire
Reviewed July 28, 2013

we booked for two nights and enjoyed it so much we added another night on.went for the wales boat show.and it happened to be my birthday too which i must have mentioned on booking.a lovely surprise was a handwriiten birthday card and two very delicious fairycakes waiting for me from the hotel ,in the room.the location lovely.room and view lovely.bar,food staff,lovely. had a beauty treatment in spa and it was very good,using aromatherapy products. conwy town is very nice.go out of the hotel and up to the row of shops on the left,some really interesting antique shops. and alfredos italian restaurant in the town was just right.if you cross over onto the other side of the bay and walk up the sands ,look for ashleys tea and hotdog van.and give the kid a bit of business.go to conwy and stay here and enjoy the views with a pair of binoculars and relax.

Room Tip: tell the hotel if its a special occasion,you might get a cake
1 Thank susiegLancashire
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your great posting and delighted to know that you were enjoying your stay so much that you added a third night. Delighted to hear that the birthday card and cakes were so appreciated, as well as your lovely room and view, food, spa treatment and great food.

You seem to have taken full advantage of our surrounding area and all it has to offer, plus been able to relax and enjoy our stunning location and views.

Do hope you will visit us again in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back on that occasion.

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Just had a lovely stay at the Quay Hotel, family wedding, fabulous day. Accomodation was great, room lovely with comfy beds and lovely large bathroom and shower. We where over looking the Courtyard, exquisite water feature and tranquil setting. Thank you to Shelly and Robin for choosing this venue for their special day
Food ia the wedding was first class, every thing was so polished and relaxed. The Welsh Breakfast on the Sunday morning was great, plenty of choice for all tastes.
Reception staff all extremely helpful, thanks Sandra for getting us into our room so quickly after a panic drive and arriving late, 10 mins before the wedding, but we managed to get changed and didn't mss a thing!!!
Would like to go back for a spa break and explore the area. An excellent hotel. 5 *+

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Judith D
Dear Guests

Thank you for your lovely feedback, following a family wedding you attended at the Quay Hotel. It is really great to hear of your appreciation of our comfy accommodation and Welsh Breakfast offering.

Your kind words have also been forwarded on to Sandra and her helpful reception team.

Do come back and visit us again - try a Spa Break and explore the local area and some of the wonders of Snowdonia! Look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Called in today on the way home from Anglesey, great spot for morning coffee overlooking the estuary. Service was pleasant and efficient. Would be even better is smoking was banned on the terrace. Nice to hear some local Welsh voices amongst the staff too.

2 Thank TimeOff186337
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind feedback following your recent "stop for coffee" at the Quay. Good to know service was pleasant and efficiently served by our own Welsh staff.

Your constructive comment regarding smoking is much appreciated and will be discussed with my team.

I do hope you will call in again and I look forward to welcoming you back on that occasion.

Steve Ogden

Also consider these accommodations in or near Deganwy
Castle Hotel
Tre-Ysgawen Hall, Country House Hotel and Spa
St. George's Hotel
St. George's Hotel
#16 of 60 in Llandudno

Been to The Quay Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!