“Peaceful and modern”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Deganwy
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Peaceful and modern”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Lovely long spring break. We arrived at dusk to a beautiful sunset over the river and paid to upgrade to river views which also gave us a bigger room with sofa. However, nothing wrong with the cheaper rooms which look out over the marina-other hotels might have this as their money spots!We used the gym and swimming pool facilities a number of times with no problems. The spa was nice with well trained staff and pleasant chill-out room. Really enjoyed breakfast with great menu options, much more than just full english (opps, full welsh!). We had dinner and afternoon tea as part of our break and was very pleased with the meal which was fine dining with good service. 3 course dinner is 30 a head if not part of a package. Unlike other set meal deals though, much of the main menu was included, or it was only a small supplement so we didn't pay much more on either night. Would happily go back again to the hotel as there is plenty to do in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for you generous comments folloiwng your recent spring break with us at the Quay Hotel. I was delighted to hear that you had appreciated our stunning location and views across the estuary from the hotel.

Good to know your dining experiences were obviously very much enjoyed and you managed to make the most of our surrounding area during your time in Deganwy. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Steve Ogden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (778)
Derbyshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

I had felt a great need to sit quietly and look out to sea. We decided on North Wales and eventually this hotel. What a choice we made! I don't know where to start with reviewing. The location and therefore the views from the hotel are absolutely magnificent. The 13th century Conwy Castle at one end of the vista, the open sea to the other and towering hills in front. It was a beautiful day and so with the sun glistening on the sea as we sat in the cosy bar it was exactly what I had envisioned. Perfect.
The hotel itself was superb. Beautifully styled public areas and bedrooms alike. Spotlessly, gleamingly clean and friendly helpful staff. What more could you ask for. The drinks and food are a little pricey but it's a 4 start hotel so it was only to be expected.

The only very small niggle was that service was a little slow in the restaurant and I don't think the bar staff were too proficient at cocktail making, but that really is only a small negative. It certainly didn't spoil anything - it's just an observation.

We shall definitely be going back - next time in the summer - when I shall choose an estuary view room with a balcony so that we can sit out and admire the view once more,

Room Tip: Definitely choose an estuary view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful review of your time spent with us at the Quay Hotel. I am so pleased to read that we fulfilled your wishes and provided a stunning peaceful environment for you to look at the sea and take in the fabulous vistas of Conwy Castle, the estuary and the mountains.

Good to know of your kind appreciation of our hotel, spotless bedrooms and helpful staff. I do apologise that there were some shortcomings within restaurant service and cocktail training, I have spoken to the relevant managers to address this issues.

Very much look forward to welcoming you back in the summer, when I can promise you the most fantastic sunsets from your balcony!!

Bangor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Went here for a sandwich as I have often done before, they used to serve them on a slate with a dinky fryer of home made chips. This time the menu had changed and so had the chips, they now use frozen chips which I certainly don't think any restaurant that you pay good money for should use never mind a 5 star complex. They didn't ask me which wine I wanted and when I got the bill they had charged £7.50 for a small glass, I complained and they then changed the price and charged me for a house wine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for your valued feedback following your recent visit. I do apologise that you were disappointed to be served French Fries instead of the expected “chunky” chips which you had enjoyed previously. We have amended our offerings, due to customer feedback, when a number of guests requested smaller fries. Consequently we have included this alternative with some of our dishes, but I would confirm we still serve handcut chips with other menu items. Do please request the handcut chips when dining with us again and we should be more than happy to provide your preference.

I have spoken with my Food & Beverage Manager to address the concerns regarding wine service and apologise for the error.

I do hope you will re-visit us in the near future and would ask that you contact me directly so I can personally take care of your table reservation. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Quay on several occasions and never been disappointed!
Went there last with my husband for a romantic week-end, enjoying one of their package (one night, 4 course dinner and breakfast for £160).
The food at diner was excellent and of a high standard, the service delightful! The bar is quite expensive.
Breakfast was a buffet and was great (on my previous stay, full breakfast was served plated which was chaotic and took ages to arrive cold!!!).
I paid a bit more to have an estuary view (£30 more for exec room), the room is the same as a classic room, but the terrasse facing the estuary and Conwy Castle is great and well worth the money!
The swimming pool facilities are great and just complete the experience!
Looking forward to my next stay!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your kind words following your most recent visit. Delighted to hear that you enjoyed your romantic weekend and appreciated the wonderful views fronm your estuary view room.

So sorry to hear that breakfast was not up to our usual standards, I have spoken with the breakfast manager to ensure your concerns are addressed with immediate effect.

Good to know you will be returning and I look forward to welcoming you back again on that occasion.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My partner and I stayed at this hotel to celebrate his birthday after visiting family members in Conwy.

The hotel is a fabulous location, right on the estuary with views of Degawny Castle on one side and the habourside on the other. We were lucky enough to have a room on the ground floor over looking the estuary and castle, the view was stunning, especially at sunset.

The staff at the hotel are friendly and helpful, the bell boy showing us around the room and how everything worked before he left us.

The rooms are large with comfortable beds, powerful shower and sitting area that allows you space to relax and admire the view in the warm.

We used the gym, swimming pool, sauna and steam room. All are relatively small so when there were 4 of us working out it felt busy, anymore people and it would have beed crowded! However, the gym is well equiped and the pool is large.

We had breakfast included in our stay and it was lovely. There is a wide selection of cereal, pastries, fruit and toast and a selection of hot food cooked to order. My partner certainly enjoyed his full Welsh breakfast!

I would recommend this hotel to couples and families who want a very comfortable stay by the brisk and beautiful Degawny.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your generous feedback following your recent "birthday" celebration stay with us at the Quay Hotel.

I am so pleased to know of your kind appreciation of our stunning location, your estuary room, my helpful friendly staff, leisure facilities and great "Welsh" breakfast.

Thank you for your recommendations and I look forward to welcoming you back on another occasion.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed one night before a meeting & the location of this hotel made me feel like I was on a sneaky holiday. Very good welcome at reception, with information about what to see and do along the coast. Room was very comfy. We ate in the restaurant and although the prices were more than I would usually pay, it was worth it. The lamb was very tasty. Will definitely book again as would like explore this part of Wales more.m

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great feedback, following your overnight stay. Great to know that, although your stay was a business requirement, our welcome and ambience made you feel like you were on holiday.

I am pleased to read that you found your room comfortable and enjoyed your dining experience in our Restaurant.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon, for a real holiday break, so can truly relax and enjoy all that North Wales has to offer.

bangor, wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

My mum and me went for lunch and the food was amazing, the service was fantastic and we really enjoyed the lovely views. We loved it that much that we are going again this week and are also going to try the spa as an added bonus. I would say if you can go then do so wonderful afternoon for my mum and me. Thank you so much

Room Tip: We did not stay in a room this time, but we will do in the future as we loved the whole look of the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind words following your recent lunch with your mother. It is great to know how much you enjoyed your time at the Quay and appreciated the fantastic service and wonderful views.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon - I know you will have a lovely Spa experience on your next visit!

Steve Ogden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deganwy
Bodysgallen Hall & Spa
St. George's Hotel
#14 of 60 in Llandudno
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,316 reviews
Ruthin Castle Hotel

Been to The Quay Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!