“Good rooms and service but food not up to scratch” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Quay Hotel & Spa

The Quay Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Deganwy
Newtown, United Kingdom
“Good rooms and service but food not up to scratch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

We went for a short mid week break in January. Hotel much more modern than I had expected but rooms were clean, comfy and well appointed. We had a view over the estuary and a very inquisitive gull on our balcony. Reception staff friendly, helpful and efficient. Our main issue with this hotel was the food. We had a bar snack at lunchtime and this was very good, if a little pricey. However, evening meals in the restaurant were a bit hit and miss. Although they tried hard, we felt that some of the flavours didn't work together and this was a bit disappointing as we do like good food. The only dish that worked completely was dessert. I have a wheat intolerance but can manage some, so I hadn't asked for anything special, so when I ordered a gluten free item from the menu I was pretty horrified to see it presented with wheat products. When I pointed this out to the waiter he looked slightly blank but did visit the kitchen to check the situation. He came back saying the chef had decided to change the dis and clearly had not advised his restaurant staff. Breakfast was very good. The pool was pleasant and quiet when we went in the morning. We isn't get the chance to use the spa. Lovely day out in nearby Conwy, just across the estuary as there isn't much to do in Deganwy. Llandudnu is a 15 - 20 minute drive and worth a visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your valued feedback following your mid-week break in January. Great to know you enjoyed a clean, comfy and well-appointed room, our leisure facilties, our stunning views and location and a good breakfast. I do apologise for the disappointments encountered during lunch and dinner and would confirm I have spoken with the relevant managers to address your concerns and ensure improvements in our quality and service.

I trust you will consider a return visit and when you have a date in mind, do contact me directly, so I can personally take care of your reservation, I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Steve Ogden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Have just come back from a short stay at The Quay in Deganwy. Neither my wife or I had much experience of the area, so after a fairly unimpressive trip along the M56 (dull countryside and refineries) we arrived on the A55, one of the best roads (in my humble opinion) in the country. As a result, the 158 mile trip from Worcester was really quick, and we arrived feeling pretty fresh. Our initial impressions of the hotel were good, lots of parking, and a great view across the estuary to Conwy. Inside the hotel we were made to feel very welcome, our luggage was delivered, and were shown round our room. Such a nice touch this, and one which many hotels forget. The king size bedroom, although it was the only one on our floor without a balcony (viciously cold weather, so it really didn't matter), was absolutely huge, and would have undoubtedly been a junior suite in any other hotel. A large sofa, and even larger wing back chair were in the seating area, with desk, free wi-fi etc. etc. Then we had a separate dressing area with wardrobes, and an equally impressively sized bathroom (water pressure from the shower wasn't so brilliant but that was the only down side). By the way, if anyone from the hotel is reading this, it would be really useful to have a separate light for the dressing area, rather than have to switch on all the overhead lights for the rest of the room. Anyway, the view from the room was splendid - estuary, sea, snow covered mountains, Conwy, and Conwy castle. Really superb. The rest of the public areas in the hotel were all really nicely done, and made us feel comfortable very quickly, always a good sign. Our booking included dinner, and this was also top notch - beautifully cooked, correct portion size, innovatively presented. Pre-dinner, I was able to choose from the Gin list, and was able to find a couple I'd never tried before. I didn't experience the issues that a couple of other reviewers seem to have had. My only slight disappointment was with breakfast, which while perfectly adequate, was no more than this (my kipper was pretty small and looked pretty lonely on the plate). A small gripe. Overall we had a really nice time, and will certainly be returning to this hotel as a base to continue our exploration of the beauties of North Wales.

Room Tip: Always ask for an estuary room, and if possible, one with a balcony.
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely report of your stay with us last month. It's great to know from an "outsider" how good the A55 and road connections are to Deganwy and your journey from Worcester was quick and hassle free.

Delighted that you really enjoyed your time with us, appreciating the stunning views across the esturary, plenty of private parking, a warm welcome and impressive room with comfortable amenities. Thank you for valued comments regarding the lighting within the dressing area - I am speaking to my Maintenace Manager to consider implementation of your suggestion.

I am so pleased to read your generous remarks on your dining experiences, but will speak to my Chef regarding certain elements of the breakfast offering, thank you for your constructive thoughts.

I look forward to welcoming you for your return visit, so you can continue with your explorations of the delights of North Wales!

high peak, derbyshire, uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Lovely place to stay with great views across the estuary and well appointed rooms. Staff very friendly and helpful and the food at dinner was good and good value. A pleasant break, even if the sun didn't shine!

2 Thank rogerandwendy
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind words following your visit to us last month. I am delighted you enjoyed the great views across the estuary, our well-appointed rooms, friendly staff and a great dinner.

I do hope I can welcome you back for a return visit and see what we can do about some sunshine next time !

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here for one night on business, only a shame I couldn't have stayed longer. Hotel is in a great location right on the estuary opposite Conwy Castle, and 5 miles from Llandudno. Room was to an excellent standard with free wi-fi a bonus.
Fantastic breakfast which kept me going for rest of the day.
Will definately make the effort to return here for leisure in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for room with view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great feedback, following your recent stay with us. Good to know you enjoyed your time at the Quay and appreciated our wonderful loction, views across to Conwy Castle and our excellent standards of accommodation with a fantastic breakfast.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future for a longer leisure visit, giving you the opportunity to explore more of the area and really relax.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have stayed at the hotel 3 times in the last 3 years and have been impressed enough to keep returning. The location with the views over Conwy Castle, excellent food and room quality have been the main factors for our return visits.

Unfortunately standards do seem to have slipped over the years, to a point where I would not automatically select the hotel for a weekend break as I would previously.

Our break earlier this month was planned to be a relaxing, de-stress away from work, I would say it was but there were some snags we had to contend with which did start to detract from the experience.

When we first got to the room the quality and space was as good as we remembered, one slight issue arose when we discovered the shower head was broken which made it impossible to shower, we reported it to the desk and they sent someone to fix it during our meal, it was dealt with efficiently and professionally by the staff.

Our meal was excellent in terms of food quality, unfortunately they had made a mistake with our booking meaning we had to wait 15 mins before a table would be ready. We decided to order some cocktails and enjoy the bar atmosphere while we waited. The cocktails were ordered and arrived 15 mins late which coincided with us being moved to our table, the quality of the cocktails was really poor and at £8.95 each I would not order them again. The delay in them arriving was an annoyance as eating a starter while drinking a cocktail is not much fun! The bar staff sent their apologies and blamed the delay down to a missing ingredient which really didn't really help us and made me wonder if they had actually found the ingredient due to the terrible taste!

Breakfast was something to look forward to at the Quay hotel or it was on the last two visits, this time around everything from the full welsh breakfast buffet was cold, it was unpleasant to eat and we ending up not eating much of it.

On our second evening we returned to the restaurant and the quality of food was excellent and we both really enjoyed it, the staff are always friendly and the meal was an enjoyable experience. I would rate the ribeye stake one of the best I have ever tasted.

Breakfast on the second morning was much improved from the previous day and we did wonder why it was so bad on the previous morning.

On checkout of the hotel we were asked if we enjoyed the stay, which we had. I did the usual check of the bill only to find that we has been charged for extra drinks and food supplements on our first night. The lady who served me was pleasant and got a list of receipts to get some evidence on what I had signed to the room, it turned out another bill with a different signature had been charged to my room, the total being £30-£40, It was instantly removed from my bill as expected.

Ordinarily I would not be bothered with this happening but this is now the third occasion I have found extra drinks and food on my bill at checkout in this hotel which I do not think is acceptable, I do wonder how many people get charged extra due to not checking their bill properly?

Overall it was a decent stay but there was a large inconsistency in the service we received, if this could be addressed I would be tempted to return.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your valued feedback following your recent stay and I am so sorry that your break was marred by the inconveniences encountered. I have spoken with the relevant managers to ensure these matters are addressed and rectified.
I was pleased to note your kind appreciation of the ribeye and good to know you enjoyed the evening meals, despite the cocktail disappointment, and breakfast was good on your second day. I have forwarded your observations on to the Restaurant Manager and my Head Chef to ensure we improve the quality and service offered.
It was most unfortunate that your bill was incorrect and I have spoken with my Reception Manager, who sorted the matter out for you. We are in the process of introducing a signing off docket procedure to ensure this kind of error is eradicated in the future, but certain team members obviously need further training.
Sandra remembers you well and your kind words of thanks on departure, although she is disappointed that you did not mention the other concerns at the time, which perhaps she could have assisted with.
I do hope you will reconsider returning to the Quay Hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future, for a much improved experience.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Our second trip to this hotel was nice but I feel standards have dropped since our last visit. The views are still amazing over the estuary and I would really recommend a room with this view if you can afford the extra charge that this entails.We were staying through a secret escape deal which was much cheaper than the hotel would have charged if booked directly with them. Our room was a disabled room and I was dissapointed not to have a bath in the bathroom. This should have been pointed out to us when we booked or when we were shown to our room but it wasnt. The room itself was luxurious and in keeping with expectations of a 4 star hotel. Later however We got lost looking for the lift and ended up going down the stairs to reception. Oh my what a shock to see the state of the stairs that were dirty and decidedly needed a good clean. In this area there was all the trolleys with the tea and coffee etc on. This was obviously not an area that was cleaned to the rest of the standard of the hotel. Also on our balcony we found an empty beer bottle and cigarette packet that had been left by the previous guests. This was apparently not seen by the cleaners. The evening meal was very nice and had a good choice of different types of food to try.Perhaps if your vegetarian the choice would be somewhat limited though as I could only see one dish that was suited for vegetarians. The service was a tad slow and it took us 2 hours to finish the meal. The restaurant was very busy though and it filled the night at least! In the morning we found the breakfast a little dissapointing just due to the fact the 'hot' food was lukewarm which was a shame because the quality of the bacon etc seemed very good. Plenty of choice of fresh fruit breads etc was available.We did find that trying to get to the buffet was inhibited by staff filling up breakfast trays to be delivered by room service. Overall a nice hotel but just needs to pull its socks up in certain areas.

Dear Guest
Thank you for your valued feedback and I do apologise that you felt standards were not as high as your last visit. I am sorry you were disappointed with your room, however, I would say that, although Secret Escapes is a good offer, the accommodation is booked via this third party and certain elements of the reservation are not within our control. Hence, the more competitive rates. Secret Escapes confirmed an estuary view room, but this booking does not guarantee a bath and although the bath room would have suited a person with a degree of disability, every other aspect of the room is exactly the same specification with furnishings and fittings as per the rest of the hotel. If you had requested a bath on arrival, I am confident my team would have tried their best to accommodate your preference at that time.
It is unfortunate that the back of house areas are the last parts of the hotel to be cleaned and usually these tasks are allocated to our night porters. You will appreciate that the back areas will have been used continuously all day and therefore I would expect them to be in decidedly messy at the time of day that you viewed the staircase.
I am pleased to note that you enjoyed your evening meal and your observations regarding breakfast and your balcony have been forwarded on to the relevant managers to help improve the quality and service offered.
I trust I have been able to clarify your concerns and do hope you will consider returning in the future.

Halifax, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

This is the third time we have stayed here and I have to say the hotel is looking a little tired around the edges. We had booked a suite as wanted a bit of a treat for us and and our 4 year old after a horrendous 5 months where my husband had been seriously ill. Well the suite is certainly big with amazing views but there really isn't any hint of luxury at all. The wood is dark and dismal and there are just vast amounts of empty space without any real purpose. They could do so much more with this space.
We booked a package where dinner one night and breakfast was included. So we happily went down for dinner with our 4 year old around 6pm on the first evening. I decided to treat myself and I ordered a steak along with a glass of Argentinian Malbec. The wine arrived and the bottle had clearly been open a while - longer than 4 days - as the wine tasted like vinegar. I then ordered another be asking for a new bottle to be opened which was fine. I didn't receive an apology though or any gesture like not chargng me for the glass of vinegar.

So our food came.... From the minute my steak was placed in front of me I knew it wasn't right as it smelt odd. Not only did it smell odd it was cold, very cold. So I asked for another one. My husband and son were eating their meals without me. This is not what I envisaged for a family meal. So the second steak came around 15 minutes later. It was hot this time but the same smell was there. I took two bites and I knew the steak was OFF! Yuk. I ate a few chips and couldn't face anymore. The assistant manager came to speak to me about it about 20 minutes (!) later and agreed to remove the cost of all the drinks from the bill. But I still hadn't had a meal. Is food not checked before it leaves the kithchen? What chef doesn't know when a piece - or in my case 2 pieces- of meat is off?

We went up to our room and headless to say I didn't feel well. Luckily I only had 2 bites of the steak.

So off we went to bed to discover that there was blood and makeup on my bottom pillowcase. When I mentioned this to reception the next day they said that housekeeping would be 'mortified' as they prided themselves on their cleanliness.... WHAT ABOUT ME? I wasn't overly happy either! The suite wasn't brilliantly clean, the windows were smeared with handprints.

Breakfast on our first morning was great, brilliant service lead by a very experienced lady who greeted us. We ate around 8.30am. Breakfast on the second day wasn't as good. We ate abiut 9.15am. The restaurant was manic, we had to ask twice for tea and coffee, the cold food had all gone and it was frankly chaos. It was a younger lady this time at the helm and the lack of experience was apparent.

When we came to check out yesterday morning (Fri 22nd Feb) we were handed a bill. It transpires that all the drinks hadn't been removed from the bill and we had to pay for a meal for our 4 yr old! Who charges for meals for a 4 year old? Given our overall experience I refused to pay. The poor chap on reception looked a little downtrodden as it wasn't his fault but as a hotel every member of staff is responsible for the experience of the guests.

I think this hotel trades on the fact that it is the ONLY decent hotel in the area but this won't last for long if they continue to do this. We have family in the area and always stay here when we visit but I will seriously think twice before booking again. It is expensive and the experiene this time was rubbish. The management need to get their ducks in a row and treat every paying guest with a bit more respect in an economy where money is tight and a hotel stay is a treat. We were pleased to be home. That isn't how it should be.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank boolia
Dear Guest
Thank you for your valued feedback and I do apologise that you were disappointed on your third visit to the Quay Hotel. I am sorry you did not fully appreciate our Suite, but I do understand that décor is a very personal issue. The impact of our rooms is to allow the stunning views and spectacular location to be the focal point, hence the rather minimalist setting of our accommodation.
I have spoken at length with my Head Chef and Restaurant Manager with regard to your observations on the steak and wine served and I am currently undertaking a thorough investigation into your concerns in respect of breakfast.
With reference to your remarks regarding your bill, I would confirm that we are in the process of introducing a signing off docket procedure to ensure this kind of error is eradicated in the future, but certain team members obviously need further training.
If you would like to discuss the issues in more detail, I should be pleased if you would contact me personally, so I can also report back to you on the outcome of my investigations.
I look forward to hearing from you shortly and restoring your confidence in the Quay Hotel, to ensure you continue to visit us in the future.

Steve Ogden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deganwy
Bodysgallen Hall & Spa
St. George's Hotel
#15 of 60 in Llandudno
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,299 reviews
Ruthin Castle Hotel

Been to The Quay Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!