“Simply Superb”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Deganwy
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Simply Superb”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

What a Gem, We were impreesed from the start. The best welcome I have ever had in hotel and it maintained the high standard throughout. We had a superior room - well worth the extra money for the waterside view that was stunning. The service was excellent through out with genuinely friendly and helpful staff who couldnt do enough for you. Deganwy itself is a lovely spot and you can walk in to town , and conwy and Llandudno are really close buy but far enough away not to feel you are in a town.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and go for the waterside view - you will not be disapointed !
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Guest

Many thaks for your excellent feedback, so pleased to hear that you were impressed from the start with our wonderful welcome. Good to know that you enjoyed the stunning views, our excellent service and genuine friendly staff.

I look forward to welocming you back on another occasion.

Steve Ogden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (813)
wirral
Reviewed September 28, 2012

we have just returned from a fabulous 2 days at the Quay.From the moment we arrived the staff were so helpful and this continued through all our stay.
On arrival we had been upgraded to the penthouse which was amazing and had fantastic views of the castle and a bottle of wine waiting
We had opted for the 4 course meal in the restaurant as part of the package which again was of excellent quality and with fantastic views.
Would also recommend the afternoon tea.Thanks to all the staff for the wonderful service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your kind remarks following your "fantastic stay" with us last month.

It was good to know how helpful my team were on arrival and that their service continued throughout your visit. Good to know how much you enjoyed your dining experiences, inlcuding Afternoon Tea, and the stunning views.

Thank you for your recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Myself and my sister booked into the hotel for a night and a getaway.

The location is stunning with a view of the estuary and the chance to charter a yacht made it feel like a real 'holiday location'. Staff were really friendly and nothing you asked is too much.
The welcome pack upon arrival to the large rooms (which were immaculate) had everything you could have asked for, including babysitting, room service, information on locations and things to do. A large bathroom with quality products and great comfortable beds.

The spa and fitness area are well looked after and whilst at the pool I seen a member of staff check and clean the pool area a number of times.

Food is of a high standard, and you can either get afternoon tea (which is enough to feed a family) to snacks and then an a la carte dining experience.

It felt like there was a real personal touch with the hotel, having a cup cake and letter from Management in your rooms, I completed a feedback form and this was posted back to me within a week and thank you note from the Management.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone that requires top class hotel and service within a beautiful location, without an expensive bill at the end of the stay. Also for a hen party with use of the beautiful spa facilities, it would make a great weekend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rebecca A
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your geneous compliments folloiwng your recent stay with us. So pleased to know my staff provided a friendly welcome and your accommodation was everything you could ask for.

Good you know of your appreciation of our Spa and Restaurant facilities and, of course, our fabulours location.

Thank you for you recommendations and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The checking in was faultless with very pleasant and helpful staff at the front desk. Rooms are nicely furnished some with superb views over the marina and Conwy Castle also free internet in each room. The beds are comfortable and bathrooms well stocked with nice fluffy towels, also bath robes are in each room.

Tubular shower taps are not easy to figure out and if you happened to have arthritis, then just forget to have showers or baths - far too hard to turn the water on or off.....
Gym and health spa facilities will keep you fit and healthy, especially if the weather is not very summery.

We all however need to eat....and here comes the horror story:
After some searching for the bar menu fish and chips was ordered for lunch and it arrived in a metal basket with two small pieces of fish, chips and small ramekins one with tartar sauce and the other with what I can only describe as green soup: it was far too runny to call it pea puree.
Had to ask for a plate as did not wish to eat with hands out of a basket, not with the "soup" which tasted so watered down, that you could hardly find any peas in it. Shameful gimmick for that great traditional British dish!

The evening came and dinner in a restaurant was served accompanied by most awful music blearing out of the speakers.
When food arrived my friend could not even cut through with the knife the Welsh lamb, which she have ordered. I have opted for a duck, which actually was quite nice, however the tasteless vegetables which came with it were unidentifiable and adornment of dots of some yellow garnish on the perimeter of the plate could have easily been mistaken for something rather nasty. Why so much fuss if you can't even taste it, never mind eat it?!
To top it all the bill for that meal arrived with 2 (two!) items no one ordered.... The mistake was corrected, however the bad taste of poor service remained very strong.

Surely great Welsh breakfast will change all that in the morning! Breakfast in a good hotel is my favourite meal of the day, not however at the Quay hotel. Scrambled eggs looked lumpy grey mess swimming in fat, fried potatoes must have been fried at least a week ago; poached eggs were cold and bullet hard..... Enough, I hear you say! I have yet to mention the waiters, or rather one particular waiter who strongly disliked my request to serve some cream for my coffee and commented that he could only serve "whipped cream which will curdle", - his exact words! He also later decided to ration sachets of sweetener for my friend's tea. Remember "Oliver"? As my friend asked for some more sachets, the frugal waiter cross examined her of how much sweetener one uses for a cuppa? Eventually he mercifully counted out (yes by hand, not in a dish or any other serving device) precious sweetener sachets. Is that normal practice to insult your guests by withholding basic service?

Yes it is a good hotel in a very scenic location however please keep away from the restaurant at all times, unless you wish to spoil you stay with bad food and rude waiter service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Suzie T
Dear Guest

Sincere apologies for the disappointing dining experiences during your recent stay at the Quay Hotel and Hotel. I have spoken with my Food & Beverage Managers to address and resolve the issues of concern in order to assist in improving the service and quality we offer.

It was good to note your kind appreciation of our location, helpful rece0ption staff and room with superb views over to Conwy Castle.

It may be helpful if you could contact me directly, so we can discuss the issues and restore you confidence to enable you to consider visiting the Quay Hotel at some time in the future. I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Chester
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I booked this for myself and my partner, as a one night stay on the 21st September. We got a 'deal' which made this £189/night, this included a suite style room, a huge bathroom, estuary views and a large oval bath.

The Good,
We arrived at around 5pm, and were shown to our room (nice touch), the room was spectacular, firstly you are struck by its sheer size, the fact it has 'a lounge' area and a balcony which opens onto the best view in North Wales overlooking the Conway estuary. There was a cake present and a welcoming card...all very nice. Some things were not perfect - the TV is not the biggest for a room of this sort and it is around the corner from the bed, making viewing from the bed impossible. The bath is enormous and the bathroom is one of the best i have seen in the UK. The bath will accommodate two small people but much more a luxury bath for one.

The Bad,
We went to use the spa facillities, i used the steam room which was excellent, the sauna has problems and leaks (I spoke to a local member - they use this as a health club too - so expect it to be a little busier than you might expect) the net effect being its not a 'great' experience. The pool is small but refreshing but sadly the spa pool isn't one and also is not warm.It took 10 minutes for the gym guy to show up and give me my towel deposit back too. I was also told by a gym member who uses this hotel regularly that the dining experience for a hotel of this calibre is very poor (so much so that when he is in the bar he has to turn away). He enquired if we were on a dinner package and we explained we were. Now our expectations now considerably lowered we went back to the room to prepare for dinner.

The Ugly
At 20:15 we went down to dinner, we first went to the Bar where the reception was warm and we were offered menu's prior to being seated in the restuarant - this was the last thing which went right......what follows is a catalogue of the events which followed and you can make your own minds up...

We were ushered to our table by what appeared to be Athena, she did not speak 'at all' and it seemed her only purpose was to float us to the table. When we were seated we were again given menu's (the bar and the restuarant, not talking). We in fact had to explain that we had already chosen and so didnt need them any longer. This seemed to cause some confusion and we were left alone at the table for some minutes. Then a foreign sounding gentlemean approached the table resembling slightly "Gonzo" (Staff Member No. 2) and asked "Where we happy?" we replied that we were to which he explaimed he was also happy and then left. We were not sure what this was about. He later came back and this time introduced himself as the wine waiter - we said we did not want any wine but i ordered a diet coke for my partner and he left silently and immediately and so it wasnt clear if he was in fact going to bring this drink.
At this point Carl (Staff Member No. 3) approached the table and took our order - he was upbeat pleasant and efficient, and took the order with minimum fuss. Later he returned to say i couldn't have the starte i ordelered so another 15 minutes at the table wasted whilst i changed and they prepared something else - it arrived 5-10 minutes later, it was tiny and if honest looked more like a starter youd have before you had your 'Main Starter' litterally my starter was the size of a small plum and it was £8.95, we ordered two large steaks (and were glad, when we had seen the starters) my partner orderd hers Medium Rare and i aksed for 'Cremated' it was to be 40 minutes before this arrived. Shortly before it arrived an awkward young lady appeared at our table (Staff Member No. 4) saying that our steaks would be a little bit longer (35 minutes already) so i asked why the delay - at this point she grew very nervous (obviously didn't know why) lots of facial ticks, very uncomfortable - she retreated to the kitchen and then immediately brought the steaks out - which made us question why she came to advise they would be longer. I immediately noticed my steak was Not as ordered it was not black anywhere but thankfull no blood - it was well done, only... but still very nice. My partners steak was very red, smelled bad and was discoloured and hard over some of its surface, this was reported to Carl - he took it away and replaced it but we did not eat together and it was now 22:00. A young girl came over to the table and asked if it was all ok and i recanted the steak incident - (Staff Member No. 5) , i asked if it was possible we could take dessert in our rooms and she advised this was ok and we ordered two desserts and two diet cokes.. i was advised there would be a £3 tray charge which i agreed to.

Now one thing to beware is 'everything' on the menu has a price in brackets - this is what you pay if your on a dinner bed & breakfast inclusive rate ABOVE and Additionally.... the steaks we had attracted £9 charge each...so £18, most sweets were extra so we feel its not an inclusive rate be careful of this as it soon mounts up. Later up in the room i received the desserts only they were nto as ordered did not have te diet cokes with them and they had tried to charge me another £15 even though they should be inclusive. I appraoched the manager the next day to discuss this and his response was to deduct the extra's - the 2 x £9 charges (Carl had already said we would not be charged for the meal!) and 2 steak sauces. We hadnt eaten together... i feel the hotel rate should have been reduced back to Bed & Breakfast, personally as the dining experience was very poor and not good value at all. A couple at the next table were eating desserts, the lady ordered the fondant and here words were "It's not a fondant, well it's not, its a sponge" you are advised of a 12 minutes + wait if your order this, she claimed it wasn't 12 minutes either...

So my advice - by all means stay here its very pretty, the rooms are nice indeed...

BUT walk down to the deganwy shops order Fish & Chips - it will be cheaper and the service considerably better or take a packed lunch possibly egg sandwiches there nice and don't do anything challenging like order food.

Room Tip: View of Estuary, very nice, Rooms with a hot tub or Double bath.
Dear Guest

I take full responsibilities for the shortfalls your encountered, but I do take exception to the hurtful and discriminatory comments in respect of my staff. You have every right to express your opinions and I fully understand that our standards were less than we would have wished, but your observations could have been put across in a more human manner, whilst still maintaining the substance of your views.

I was pleased to know that your room and spectacular views from the balcony were appreciated.

I was also pleased to have been able to discuss the issues with you personally and adjusted your bill accordingly with the assurance that I would look after you on your return visit.

Wales
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was our second visit in as many months after our first was marred by an inconvenient and poorly managed false fire alarm. Credit where it's due, we made a complaint to the manager who quickly responded and offered a concession on a future visit to restore our confidence. We duly accepted, were not disappointed and would certainly recommend this hotel to others.

On both occasions we stayed in a first floor executive suite - pricey but worth the extra cost as the views across the estuary towards the castle are superb. The suites are huge - I've been in much smaller apartments! We stayed in suites 253 & 261, both have different layouts and if you're a family with children sleeping on the sofa bed the layout of 261 was better as the entrance to the bathroom was off the inner corridor, whereas in 253 it was through the bedroom. 261 also had a dining table & 4 chairs whereas 253 didn't. Other than that, both have views to die for, long but narrow balconies, fridge and usual tea/coffee tray with ample supplies. If you like a big balcony, the ones on the second floor look a lot larger/deeper.

The service from the hotel staff is second to none - they cannot do enough for you. I indulged in a spa treatment and it was fantastic, the best I've ever had. Only criticism of the spa facilities is the jacuzzi - not very warm and whilst the overhead jets are great for muscle relaxation, they are a nuisance if you're sitting close to someone using them as they splash all over you!

The restaurant is very modern and serves a good variety of food, although to differing levels of service and of varying portion sizes - the mixed grill was superb value at £15.95 and impossible to finish but the grey mullet was the size of a sardine and not worth £9.95 let alone £19.95. Those of us who had the mixed grill gave half of it to those who had the grey mullet and we just about all had enough to eat! One or two staff are a little over-familiar, and should perhaps bear in mind that parents of young children do not want them being offered ice-cream BEFORE their main course arrives! At busy times, there was a long wait - 45 minutes from ordering to serving our starter, so perhaps staffing levels could be improved.

Breakfast is buffet style but all tastes catered for and there are some specialities which can be ordered such as Eggs benedict, Salmon, Kippers, Omelettes etc. All very good quality.

Conwy is a 25 minutes walk along the estuary, the castle is well worth a visit, and Llandudno just under an hour's walk, although there is a sightseeing bus that runs between the two towns with an interesting commentary and costs about £6 for 24 hours which you can use to hop on/off as you wish.

We look forward to returning to this luxurious hotel and the beautiful surrounding area.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the estuary/castle view - well worth it to watch the sunsets.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Steve O, General Manager at The Quay Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your valued feedback and I am delighted to know that your confidence in the Quay Hotel has been restored. Delighted to hear of your appreciation of our Suite accommodation and the spectacular views across the Conwy Estuary. Good to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your spa treatments and leisure facilities. I would clarify that the Hydrotherapy Pool within the complex is not a Jacuzzi, so perhaps this would explain your slight dispppointment in the temperature expectations.

Your generous words will be forwarded on to my staff, as well as the comments regarding ice cream for children before their main course arrives! As a father myself I can very much relate to your sentiments.

I am pleased you were able to explore the surrounding area and look forward to welcoming you back on your return visit - there is still a great deal more to be experienced and enjoyed in our part of North Wales and Snowdonia.

Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

what a great hotel stayed for a last minute break just one night lovely place food could not be faulted and neither could the staff both in the dining room and reception a credit to the hotel, good value for money we will definately be back

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your kind words, delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your appreciative comments have been forwarded on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back on another occasion - perhaps spend a little longer at the Quay Hotel and really relax and learn more of the stunning area and all it has to offer.

Steve Ogden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deganwy
Castle Hotel
#1 of 5 in Menai Bridge
St. George's Hotel
St. George's Hotel
#16 of 60 in Llandudno

Been to The Quay Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!