“Came home wanting to go back....”
Review of Felbrigg Lodge

Felbrigg Lodge
Ranked #1 of 5 Aylmerton B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Just a couple of days at Felbrigg should have stayed a third night. We stayed in Briar, a lovely big room, comfy sofa. Having read through some the reviews, I can understand some people's disappointments in that everything isn't 'perfect', grounds perhaps could be a little tidier, odd cobweb needs removing (cleaners look up!) and the owners are not on hand 24/7 to deal with every whim, but then thats part of what made it relaxing for us, not too many people about. Yes I had to take the cover off the pool but the great thing...I got it to myself...and the hottub in the rain was great fun! Breakfast was worth getting up for (I don't usually bother!), I asked for a duvet they found a duvet, I asked for nutella, the next day they had bought some. I guess what I learnt by the time I left, was if I ask for what I need to make my stay comfy for me Deedee, Philip and their friendly staff will do their best to provide, but you do have to ask as every customer is different with different needs. I just need a comfy bed, and pool and hot tub to myself, some privacy, telly, (and we had full wifi, and my phone had no reception...which was GREAT!) ...oh, and chocolate, all of which I got!

Room Tip: Rooms all a bit different I would ring and speak to the staff as to your needs.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Felbrigg, Owner at Felbrigg Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

So glad you left wanting to come back....No we are not perfect (although we do try to be ) you may find the odd thing not quite right but the one thing I am very proud of is all the team at Felbrigg Lodge Care. That , in just one word, seems to be the essence of good customer service. and is probably why so many of our guests like you, leave ,wanting to come back. We all care very much what people think of Felbrigg Lodge and the efforts we all make to ensure our many guests enjoy their time with us.

We will try harder to be perfect I promise and hopefully next time we see you we will have got closer.
Thank you for taking time to write a review it is appreciated.
DeeDee Lomax

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We have just returned from a fantastic weekend at Felbrigg Lodge!

On arrival we were greeted by a cheerful and helpful Phil and DeeDee. They showed us around the beautiful grounds and took us to our room. We stayed in the Walnut Suite in the main house. This had a separate lounge, lovely bathroom and huge bedroom. All wonderfully decorated and looked recently renovated. The champagne was on ice and there was a fabulous chocolate selection waiting for us.

We were booked in for dinner on both evenings. The food was fantastic- they certainly don’t scrimp on the portions and there was a good selection on the set menu- it being different on both nights. A good selection of wine was also on offer- which slipped down very well! We had breakfast bought to our room on the first morning, followed by a fantastic massage by Sarah and then a brilliant, fresh, home-made afternoon tea….. All in the comfort of our beautiful suite!
We then spent the afternoon at the pool and in the hot tub. It’s all a bit DIY with you pulling the pool cover back and controlling the hot tub and sauna… that just simply adds to the charm of the hotel.

All of the staff were extremely helpful and could not have done enough for us. Nothing was too much trouble. A much more personal service than a large chain hotel. Around 50% of the other guests we met were returners, which, is probably the best review on its own.
DeeDee showed us around the other lovely lodges and rooms when we checked out and we now want to try them one by one when we undoubtedly return!

If you are looking for a lively hotel with a bustling bar then Felbrigg Lodge is not for you. This was a fantastic quiet haven for a romantic weekend away… we quite simply relaxed and completely chilled out in what felt like a home from home.

Thanks so much to all the staff for making our stay so relaxed and enjoyable. We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: Any of them!! Walnut suite was lovely in the main house. The Oak is a fantastic lodge- named the Hon...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jenny B

So glad , you enjoyed your stay and what Felbrigg Lodge has to offer. It is a bit quirky I know but that is what we set out to achieve something a little different and memorable. Hence why thankfully so many of our guests return time and time again and I look forward to you being one of them. Have a great summer if it ever arrives......its still sooooooo colddddddd. The heating is on full wack and its the 23rd May.....Still on a brighter note my Rhodies are now coming into bloom.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We booked this break with Living Social so got 2 out of the 3 nights at half price. However our three night stay still cost us well over £400 which was expensive for the level of comfort received. We arrived late at 8pm after a 7 hour journey and were made to feel as if we were causing them a great inconvenience-they did us a favour by supplying a dinner of soup and bread and cheese which we had to eat perched on the arms of two arm chairs as there was a table but not chairs in our room. They were happy to let us take our two dogs (at an extra cost of £7.50 per dog per night) but did not tell us when we booked that we could not take them into the restaurant so we had to eat all our breakfasts perched on arms of chairs AND they charged an extra £7.50 each time they bought food to our room for room service! There was a terrible smell of sewage in the whole cottage which Dee told us would go as they had just had the drains rodded but it remained for all three days. The underfloor heating was impossible to control and the only was to get the temperature to go down was to turn it off. It still took several hours to cool down from 28.6 degrees in the bedroom-absolute hell! When we asked Dee about it, she told us we would have moaned if it had been cold so apparently it was our fault! Parking was very poor and grounds badly lit at night so it was rather hazardous getting from car to cottage. On the plus side, it does have the potential to be a super destination if only the owners would listen and not be so defensive! Five star hotel is a very misleading description as the check in/out is still in a very tatty garden shed!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank JanieBiff
Felbrigg, Owner at Felbrigg Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

I am sorry you feel the way you do about your stay at Felbrigg Lodge., we did discuss some of the issues raised at departure but at no time did you imply any of these caused you to have such a disapointing stay or question the bill before paying. I was therefore suprised to read your comments.
Yes you did arrive when we were in the middle of dinner service and we were busy but we tried to help by offering you some food as you had a long journey and you expressed you didnt want to go out again understandably,You chose to have soup bread and cheese and biscuits as you said you didnt want a full dinner at that time of night., just a snack would do. . As regards the dogs , our terms and conditions and website clearly state dogs are not allowed in the restaurant and must not be left unattended in the room at any time and therefore must be left in the car at meal times or if in a travel cage .. You would not do either and YOU therefore chose for us to bring your food to your room. We did ask you if you would like some extra chairs and you declined saying you were fine. As regards the heating, the weather was bright but not warm and had a nip in the air and definatley below zero at night.I was worried you would get cold if I turned the heating right off , at no time did I imply it was your fault!, I was just concerned for you getting cold..Again my words taken out of context.. As regards the the bill , we did give you a concession on the third night ( over 1/2 price) and you were put into an upgraded room at no extra charge in fact a two bedroomed cottage. Which we felt would help you with the dogs as it is away from the cars and is quiet. .You actually paid £143 per night including the dogs and food. A point you have failed to mention. I am not defensive but do have a right of reply, as always there are always two sides to every story.

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful relaxing place, after my husband and l got lost on the way, Phil offered to come to find us! Bless! Our champagne was on ice, our room was immaculate, Dee Dee was a wonderful help, the breakfast was excellent, the staff so friendly. Didn't want to leave! Even had a swim in the gorgeous pool and went in the sauna. Will return for definite. Thank you for such a lovely weekend.

• Stayed: April 2013
Felbrigg, Owner at Felbrigg Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

So pleased you enjoyed your stay, and looking forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future. Please bring nice weather with you.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Hi Dee & Phil,
Thanks Dee once again for a wounderful stay and returning my Mum's coat (that she forgot) I like the improvements you are making to the place from our last stay and i am sorry about the fire you had. The walnut suit was lovely and cosy, mum and i really enjoyed our stay. will you also thank Sarah for our teatments - most enjoyable.
Felbrigg lodge is such a relaxing place to stay and can't wait to return in the autumn

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Felbrigg, Owner at Felbrigg Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Glad the coat arrived safely and quickly ,you would hope you wouldnt need a coat at this time of year but I must have blinked and missed the spring as today its April showers and a cold nip in the air. It was lovely to see you both again and that you could spent some quality time with your mum. Look forward to seeing you and your hubbie in the Autumn..
Yes the fire in January was stressful and sometimes challenging but we must put that behind us as the rebuilding work is nearly complete.
Willow has been tiled now it looks lovely so we are nearly there fencing goes up today to give it a private garden and furniture being delivered on Wednesday.
DeeDee

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We recently stayed for two nights and were unhappy with our experience. We put this in writing as well as raising issues during our stay (eg broken hot tub, building work) and sadly got short shrift in reply including the point "if you didnt like it you could have left after a night"! Such a crass response is unbelivable from someone in the service industry.
When I read the recent reviews I have my reservations on authenticity as they certainly didnt match with our experience and read like a promotion document. We were greeted by a friendly chef who was juggling roles of food prep, porter, receptionist etc, never met Phil, met DeeDee once our second morning in the shed (yes its still there- garden shed boutique) to hear our concerns of previous nights cold hot tub. We decided to have a day out and get away from our bedroom overlooking active and noisy building work to return to find hot tub unrepaired and all staff gone home (9pm).
I thought hotels had staff either available 24/7 or at least until 11pm. No bar, no lounge- this clearly not a hotel nor boutique.
We have never made comments before on trip advisor- in this case we firstly wrote back to the owner but have been disappointed with her response.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank 212mike

My husband answered you on trip advisor after your first posting and I answered your letter. Your points were covered in my letter and yes I did say if you were so unhappy with the quality or the experience of your stay you could have checked out how is this crass?If I stayed somewhere and it did not match my expectations I would have checked out. The whole reason you are unhappy is I would not give you a refund, I would have given you as I quoted in my letter a discount voucher off another stay as a gesture of goodwill but your tone of letter and the comments you critise us on it would not be appropriate as I cannot suddenly built a bar or a residents lounge although this is on the plan for the future,( I do not advertise as having one.) Mechanic failures are out of our control however we do act upon them as quickly as possible. As for the authentisity of other peoples comments posted on this site I do not have any control of trip advisor. I am not being defensive or inaccurate in any of my responses to you or anyone else. To anyone reading this who know me or my husband know we are genuine people who try hard to make people happy we do not succeed every time as is proved with you. I WAS saddened you did not enjoy your stay, how can you say this is fatuous? (a quote from your letter). I have not invested the amount of money I have into this business to be complacant or not care about it, or my customers. As I said to you in my letter I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. But please do not think threatening to write a review on trip advisor scares me in any way. I have answered your first letter and have responded to your second review on trip advisor. I have covered the contents of your second letter in this review and I therefore will not be answering your letter.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We have thoroughly enjoyed our four short break stays at Felbrigg Lodge and will be returning in the not too distant future. We have stayed twice in Chestnut, once in Bracken and in Hedgehog cottage on the latest occasion. Fantastic, each time. Hosts, Philip and DeeDee expend amazing energy on the guests behalf, discreetly managing in the background but always on hand if required. The rest of the staff are welcoming and friendly too. I would very much recommend booking dinner in the evening. It is lovely to eat such beautiful food and retire to home comforts to relax instead of having to travel to find a restaurant and drive back. Breakfast is excellent as well. During the day there are numerous places to visit close by, the nearest being Felbrigg Hall which is within walking distance and beautiful both for viewing the hall itself and walking in the grounds. Holt, Sheringham, Cromer, Morston, Blakeney, the list is endless. Equally, it would be easy to just stay within the lodge area and swim, use the gym or sit in the gardens. We love to visit every so often just for a quiet, relaxing break and to be so very well looked after.

Room Tip: Have stayed in four different lodges and have not been disappointed.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank bevh927
Felbrigg, Owner at Felbrigg Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Always a pleasure to see our returning guests and hear all the latest events in their lives and share with them all the excitement of Felbrigg Lodges development.We do listen to our guests recommendations and will be going fully over to Duvets ( extra blankets on request) with new pillows throughout over the next few weeks .6 of the nine rooms have had a refurb over the winter and Willow the new room will be go live weekend of May 3rd so we are sooooo excited. The New office has been painted and the electrician has now finished so that too will be ready soon . Its going to be a great summer and we will continue to improve where money allows and do our upmost to be one of the best destinations in North Norfolk. Have a great summer and you must stay in Willow next time, It will be great to see you again.
Kindest regards
DeeDee Phil and the crew

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aylmerton
Cromer Country Club
#1 of 1 in Kelling
Beechwood Hotel
Beechwood Hotel
#1 of 2 in North Walsham

Been to Felbrigg Lodge? Share your experiences!