“one word........... awful”

Furnace Tea Room
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We thought we would give this place another try after hearing that they had a new award winning resident chef, (Dai Davies). Called in for lunch, we had to clear the previous occupants dishes before we could sit down. Menu has changed since our last visit, seemed to have improved.Ordered the House honey glazed ham with eggs and chips, and the Hearty Welsh Black beef cawl,together with a pot of tea. We had to ask the waitress for a clean cup as one of ours had a large stained crack in it,not only a health hazard but very off putting and dangerous. A small thing but easy enough to be seen by the person washing up and disposed of.We did not have to wait long for our meals. The cawl was delicious and very filling, but the ham??? it was a large pale pink piece of gammon, sitting in a pool of colourless liquid,it had not been anywhere near a pot of honey, it was tasteless and tough.I don't know what had been done to the eggs but they were hard and very dry.When we made the waitress aware of this she argued quite rudely, I feel that the staff should receive training in how to deal with customers and their complaints. We were very disappointed and will not return or recommend eating here to anyone.

1  Thank Rono53354

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Just had lunch here, beef was awful . I was expecting a treat as it is a 'food centre' but the beef was so tough we left large chunks as we couldn't cut it or chew it any more. Staff came nowhere near but quickly cleared our half eaten meals after we left. Very disappointed.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Having visited this cafe three or four times since it first opened, I was surprised to read some of the negative reviews. We always have to treat ourselves to one of the many cakes on offer - I can recommend the blueberry bakewell! - and the homemade bread and butter are delightful. There is a good breakfast menu which we have not yet sampled but intend to. Deducted one point because of the price, but then again what you're paying reflects the quality of the food. Well worth a detour after a trip round Bodnant Gardens!

1  Thank cymruambyth14
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Having visited the shop a few times thought a bite to eat would be as nice, wasn't mistaken.chose the veg crockpot and ham and cheese melt, bit arrived promptly and presented very well!
A little pricey but overall was worth it, service was good and friendly.....
Am surprised to read the other reviews about poor food, can understand some saying pricey but if you think of the whole package I would say it was reasonable price.

2  Thank Syd G
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Visited today, what a mistake. I ordered a beef bourguignon and rice from the specials board. After ordering I noticed on a neighbouring table that two of the same meals had been left uneaten by customers. Mine arrived and I can only describe it as dire! The tough meat had been placed on a bed of warm rice. There was no sauce/gravy and I took one mouthful of the chewy beef and couldn't eat anymore. I asked the waitress if there was any sauce/gravy to go with it, and the reply came, have they not put any on. I said the beef was really tough so I was offered another meal and chose the lamb stew which to be honest was only slightly better! It was advertised with crusty Bodnant bread, which was no better than supermarket sliced white. Whilst waiting for my second meal to arrive, I witnessed three more complaints. The people on the next table couldn't eat their soup and took it back. Will not be returning.

1  Thank Thelma R