“One of the best Hotels”

Ranked #1 of 1 Bonnyrigg B&B and Inns
South Shields, United Kingdom
“One of the best Hotels”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have stayed at many hotels across the world, having done aid convoys for the last 20 years, staying in everything from 5 star to a tent in the desert with a police escort because staying in bandit country.
This is without doubt one of the smallest hotels but the reception could not have been better, it is something different and must be tried by you all out there if staying in Scotland

Room Tip: Only 8 rooms all ground floor and at the side and rear of the hotel do you want a normal bed or four...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank William N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
edinburgh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Been eating here for 5 years. Cannot comment on rooms as never stayed. The service here used to be fantastic. Chatty, efficient staff with lots of smiles. Where are they now? The women staff seem to be more interested in local drinkers than restaurant users. Such a shame because other establishments are moving into the area with more attentive staff, better food and updated surroundings.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank delboyandhoney
Scottsdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I was recently a guest at this perfect Scottish location! Not only did the property have the appearance, charm and ambiance of a medieval castle, it was owned and operated by the most genuine, attentive and loving staff. The romantic room with a poster bed and stained glass windows was a charming and a very comfortable suite. The food was excellent. The most memorable part of all of the perfection was Jude, Peter, Trevor and Sophie who made it a home away from home and went well BEYOND to take care of us. Their hospitality and personal touches, like arranging reservations and transportation, procuring a special souvenir from Roslyn from a shop that was closed and having it in our room when we returned, inviting us for a drink, ect made it hard to leave much more than a beautiful country and hotel, but new and dear friends! I loved every memorable minute there and had an incredible time greatly in part to our stay at the Retreat! I give them 10 stars!

Room Tip: Room 7 is the best! High ceilings, poster bed, stained glass windows, CHARM abound! I loved it! The...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 4Adventure612
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

Myself and my husband stayed here last weekend. It was a lovely hotel - rooms were very clean and i loved the whole decor of the castle - it was so homely and different to any other hotel we've stayed in. We found the staff really helpful and attentive - The Retreat really has it all - 5 star service but at affordable prices.

We had both lunch and dinner here and just chilled in the bar then afterwards - the food was delious and very reasonably priced too.

All in all a great hotel which we would definitely go back to stay

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DublinIrisheyes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

We were so happy to find this hotel after booking in elsewhere in the area which we soon checked out!! The manager at The Retreat made us feel so welcome such a great host,upon arriving in our room it was just heaven so quirky,meals were great we stayed in and ate the two nights we were there..also the bar was just out of this world with all the quirkiness..will defiantly go back and fully reccomend to all..A great find.

• Stayed May 2012
Liverpool
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

Coffee in the morning is something of a ritual for me. Good coffee is very important and the first coffee of the day is a stalwart companion in the face of an unreasonable world. I enjoy deeply inhaling the steam from a china mug filled almost to the brim with delicious oliy black gold before taking the first wonderful sip...

As a young child before the exciting discovery of proper coffee made the proper way, I wondered what all the fuss was about as my mum concocted a strange, brown, bitter fluid after simply spooning a heap of brown powder into a mug and topping it up with boiling water... Instant coffee. This my friends, is not the Italian way!

Unfortunately this is the Castle Retreat way. As a lover of good coffee I know the difference between real coffee and freeze dried instant. French press, Italian stove top pot or at a push a percolator with a hot plate and a glass jug, it isn't hard to make nice coffee. I don't even mind the hateful little sachets of instant coffee in the room - I can live with that. But an enormous stainless steel pot of instant coffee at breakfast time is quite simply not the way I roll.

To add insult to injury, the toast came served with a hideous paper pot of margarine with not even a tiny scrape of butter in sight! Monstrous. It was a pity as the breakfast was actually alright but the above two beastly errors dragged the whole experience down to plumb new depths.

That is not all. Not by a long way. If you enjoy dusty clutter masquerading as quirky trinkets adorning every surface then this is quite possibly the place for you. The bedrooms are dark and gloomy - even with every light blazing I felt like I had entered the twilight zone.

The coup de gras in this unfortunate series of events was that mother in law found a rather nasty brown substance on her supposedly clean bath towel. After she had dried her hair with it. When mercilessly pressed on the identification of the aforementioned stain, her prim reply "It was not chocolate" needed no elaboration. I felt that this was a sadly missed comedic opportunity though as she could have said "It was not instant coffee" in an equally serious fashion.

Upon returning to the hotel after a hearty meal in Edinburgh we decided upon a nightcap of a glass of wine each only to be told that the bar was closed. This was at 9.45pm. When we protested we were informed that the till had been removed and cleaning was underway and it was not possible to serve us. We politely protested a bit more until the staff member relented and served us two glasses of wine, telling us she would ring it through the till as tomorrows business. Thanks for that.

We retreated to the reception area as the clutter in the bar area was distressing. As I sat on a leather chair with a hole in the arm which had been patched with a bit of masking tape I saw one of the fishes peering sadly at me from the depths of his tank. "Please sir, won't you set me free?!" the fish seemed to be mouthing to me pitifully. Either that or he was gasping for oxygen in the murky water.

Speaking of water, the hot water unfortunately ran out when I attempted to have a shower, leaving me soap covered, spluttering and swearing in a chilly cascading torrent which might as well have been a glacial waterfall from the lofty peaks of Ben Nevis. This was a great shame as the bathroom was nicely decorated, although the unfortunate position of the toilet which faced a gigantic window with no blind or curtain to cover it would have been a delighful fleshy smorgasbord for any snap happy French photographer lurking in the hills with a long lens...

A good weekend in bonny Scotland was had nevertheless but this place is more Fawlty Towers than Castle Retreat and is probably worth avoiding.

• Stayed September 2012
5 Thank Mike725049
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

well been to the retreat a few times now for lunch and the wee lass worked with me we took for a meal there afore goin back to auzzie again trevor and his staff were amazing very helpfull to and we enjoyed the meal also
my family cmae from canada and we had a meal there with them also once again trever made us welcome asked if was possible to sit in consvertory as was specail nite for us all sure and behild trevor came through
would recomed anyone to go there the staff are freindly and polite thank you for all at the retreat castle hotel
jeff evinou

Room Tip: very freindly and helpful as expected
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
Dalhousie Castle
Prestonfield
#4 of 150 in Edinburgh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,080 reviews
BEST WESTERN Edinburgh South Braid Hills Hotel

Been to The Retreat Castle Rooms? Share your experiences!