Dalhousie Castle
$87
$136
Travelodge Edinburgh Musselburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$61
Travelodge
$71
$164
$114
Travelodge Edinburgh Cameron Toll(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$66
$301
$271
Orbitz.com
1,502 results
All reviewsdungeon restaurantlibrary barspa facilitiesfour posterafternoon teano liftbefore dinnerthemed roomsfalconry experiencespecial occasionfine diningwedding partyhydro poolwedding breakfastbirds of preywhole experiencenight porter
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed July 13, 2006

The castle is great – the breakfast is wonderful and the atmosphere breathtaking.

Make sure you are staying in the castle itself and NOT in the LODGE since the lodge is very disappointing and not worth the money. We stayed in room 33, which was just average if even that. The lodge is a detached building in the woods next to the castle, does not even provide a view to the castle and has no castle atmosphere at all - so forget about a romatic weekend in the lodge.

• Stayed: June 2006
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2006

We just came back from a 7 day vacation in Scotland. We stayed here on our last night and by far the room was the most dissapointing of our entire trip. Although it's in a castle, it was nothing more than a spruced up motel room. It was room 15, two flights up and it doesn't belong in a castle at all. The place is very very cool, but the room left a pretty bad taste and we won't be back.

• Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank ShelcoDetroit
West Midlands
Reviewed June 24, 2006

It was our first ever trip to Scotland together so we decided what better than to stay in a Castle for one night. Dalhousie is approximately 30 minutes into Edinburgh but we decided to spend the whole day and evening enjoying the Castle grounds and hotel spa.

Having read the reviews - we decided we would only book if we could get a room in the Castle - unfortunately we were not able to get a themed room but were offered a standard double. We arrived at the hotel and were very attentively taken care of by a gentlemen called Fred. Fred offered us a wealth of information on the castle history inc ghost, explained the facilities available to us and organised our meal at the Dungeon restaurant. I would say he and all the hotel staff were more than friendly and most helpful.

Our stay at Dalhousie Castle was probably one of the best hotel experiences we have ever had. The room was nice and overlooked the garden, the bed was huge and cosy, the room (although not themed) still had a some period features.

The fact that there was a wedding function (from Wales i might add!!) made the experience even more pleasant. And by the end of the evening the groom even offered us a drink!!!!

The meal in The Dungeon (albeit very pricey) was of a superb quality - AA rosette. The wine was an excellent choice. The pre-dinner drink included champagne and snacks.

Overall the experience was amazing - we cant recommend it enough. Yes it was pricey (£200 per night for bed and scottish breakfast). But it was for a special occassion so it was worth every penny. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 20, 2006

When we booked this room I debated on which room I wanted. My inclination was to go for a more expensive room, but because we were arriving in Scotland mid evening and only staying one night, I chose the least expensive room. It was OK, but if I were to stay more than one night, I would definitely take a more expensive room. We had room 33 in the Lodge - which is about a 5-10 minute walk from the Castle. It is at the top of two steep flights of stairs - no elevator. The room was quite small with only a shower in the bathroom. The hairdryer was only able to plug in a small outlet behind the dresser with a cord that only stretched about 8 inches. The Lodge Suite Rooms (I think they are 35 and 36) would be what I would go for next time. They are on the ground level with large separate sun rooms. We didn't see the Castle rooms, but I would hope they would be nicer than ours- again no elevator.

The 24 hour bar was nice - but like others have said - very pricey. The grounds are beautiful. I would stay here again, but only if I could choose my room. A car is a necessity.

• Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank Colleen_travelqu
California
Reviewed May 29, 2006

I booked on expedia and the only rooms they showed were in the lodge and when we went to check in, I was very disappointed we weren't in the castle. The room they had us in was very small with a very small bed. We decided to upgrade to the suite in the lodge and it was well worth it. We had a king size bed with a seperate sun room and this was the best place our entire 2 week vacation. We loved it and we would definitely come back. At first I was disappointed but it turned out to be a wonderful and romantic room. The castle was incredibly beautiful!

Some of our complaints.... overpriced drinks and food. We stayed our first week in London and part of the next week in Dublin and this hotel was the most expensive when it came to drinks. They had 2 places to dine, one is the Orange (which is where we ate but was not impressed with the food) and the other was the Dungeon. I heard the Dungeon is good but it's 40 Euro (which equates to 80 dollars a person) and after looking at the menu it didn't seem worth it. What I didn't like, is the Library bar treats you horribly if you go up there for drinks before dinner and you aren't eating in the Dungeon. We had a lady last week that was so rude. She never checked on us or brought us more drinks after we told her we were dining at the Orange. They give you free champagne for dining in the Dungeon and I thought it was for either restaraunt and so I asked for some and she charged me $12 Euro!!! She never smiled and really needs to practice on her customer service.
Other than that, it was a wonderful place to stay!

• Stayed: May 2006