i had decided to have my wedding at dalhousie after my mother in law had also had her's there 5 years ago.
i had a fantastic day in the end and the manager on the day was brilliant and on the ball with every aspect of the day, if there were any issues she only had to be told once and you knew that what you had requested was sorted. something a bride needs to know and be reassured with.
my pre-wedding planning with one of the coordinators however was less than fun. issues around details of parts of the day would be brought up time and time again. the same questions would be repeatedly asked and clarified even through the answer had only been emailed 2 or 3 weeks proir. this was the same issue with any meetings arranged. i felt that there were other small issues such as bride and grooms names spelt incorrectly on the invitory, that really should have really been checked. i was quite concerned that the day would be very poorly planned due to these experiances. however as mentioned about the duty manager was fantastic and corrected any problems quickly and without question.
one other issue was 2 weeks prior my mother inlaw received a phone call from the hotel asking if she could ring around guests and ask for the 50% deposite because they didn't have contact details of all the guests. something i felt was another added pressure 2 weeks prior to my wedding. i believe that they had had a change in admin staff.
despite my pre-planning problems with the hotel, the day made up for it. the duty manager and staff were friendly and helpful to all guests. the food was fantastic and prompt, they were good size potions. rooms were kept clean and well maintained, (you have to remember that its a castle not a modern hotel!) night porter kept us entertained afterwards with stories and tales of the caslte.
i don't regret having this as my venue and would recommend it to others, however i would not wish to deal with some of the admin and co-ordinating staff again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel and Aqueous Spa is a magnificent 13th century fortress set within acres of wooded parkland on the picturesque banks of the River Esk. From the moment you arrive at Dalhousie Castle a warm Scottish welcome awaits. Whether relaxing in the the Spa, gathering in the library next to the open fire, dining in the vaulted 2 Rosette winning dungeon restaurant, or retiring to your chambers, you will always feel as welcome as the 'Laird'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Dalhousie Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dalhousie Castle Bonnyrigg
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel Bonnyrigg
- Castle Dalhousie
- Dalhousie Castle Scotland/Bonnyrigg