“wedding.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
lancashire
“wedding.”
Reviewed April 2, 2009

i had decided to have my wedding at dalhousie after my mother in law had also had her's there 5 years ago.

i had a fantastic day in the end and the manager on the day was brilliant and on the ball with every aspect of the day, if there were any issues she only had to be told once and you knew that what you had requested was sorted. something a bride needs to know and be reassured with.

my pre-wedding planning with one of the coordinators however was less than fun. issues around details of parts of the day would be brought up time and time again. the same questions would be repeatedly asked and clarified even through the answer had only been emailed 2 or 3 weeks proir. this was the same issue with any meetings arranged. i felt that there were other small issues such as bride and grooms names spelt incorrectly on the invitory, that really should have really been checked. i was quite concerned that the day would be very poorly planned due to these experiances. however as mentioned about the duty manager was fantastic and corrected any problems quickly and without question.

one other issue was 2 weeks prior my mother inlaw received a phone call from the hotel asking if she could ring around guests and ask for the 50% deposite because they didn't have contact details of all the guests. something i felt was another added pressure 2 weeks prior to my wedding. i believe that they had had a change in admin staff.

despite my pre-planning problems with the hotel, the day made up for it. the duty manager and staff were friendly and helpful to all guests. the food was fantastic and prompt, they were good size potions. rooms were kept clean and well maintained, (you have to remember that its a castle not a modern hotel!) night porter kept us entertained afterwards with stories and tales of the caslte.

i don't regret having this as my venue and would recommend it to others, however i would not wish to deal with some of the admin and co-ordinating staff again.

• Stayed March 2009
1 Thank elmo82

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2009

I had read a few reviews, which had suggested that the hotel may not be quite up to standards expected for the cost, however I was pleasantly surprised.

I was booked in to the cheaper lodge accommodation, but I arrived early to attend a wedding and was shown to another room 'The Lairds', inside the main castle. This is a themed four poster room.

The room was up several flights of stairs and they do not have a lift. The room was an adequate size, with a four poster bed, tea and coffee facilities, ironing board, digital tv and en-suite facilities. The en-suite was small but lovely, with a bath/shower, nice toiletries, dressing gown and slippers. In a small pot were some lovely home-made cookies. The bedroom had a nice view out towards the Falconry.

The castle itself was very beautiful on the outside and inside. I didn't go to the spa or any of the restaurants, so can't comment on those. The breakfast in the Orangery was very nice, with good service. I had a walk around the falconry to look at the birds, and had an archery lesson which was fun.

The check-in and check-out process was very easy. The staff were generally efficient and friendly.

The location was idyllic, but it's not easy to reach without a car. A taxi into the city cost me £18.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would stay there again. My room was lovely, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay the extra £115 a night that it cost (I paid for the lodge room).

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Rochdale, England
Reviewed March 20, 2009

I paid a discount rate of £75 for bed and breakfast, but despite the main castle being half empty, I was banished to what they call "The Lodge", a quarter of a mile away on a dirt track and surrounded by woodland.
This dormitory wouldn't even receive wi-fi, even though they charge you £10 for getting it in the castle.
The bedroom was small and had a tiny shower room (no bath) plus horrendously hot conditions and a wafer thin bridge to negotiate with the car.
The dressing gown and a towel in the shower room had been used, and the "fresh biscuit" container was empty.
Breakfast was average- the orange juice was heavily watered and undrinkable, I ordered a newspaper, but when I asked for it they had no record, and the reception had a horrible smell to it.
Not one of Scotlands finest and I won't be returning.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank wroughtironron
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed March 18, 2009

We just spent the most relaxing 24 hours imaginable at Dalhousie. Our room was upgraded to a themed room with no fuss (granted we stayed on a quiet Monday night, so didn't pay rack rate). Lunch in the Orangery was excellent - best steak sandwich I've ever had. Waching the falconry as you dine is an added bonus.

The spa is fantastic. We spent the whole afternoon lounging aound, popping in and out of the showers, steam room, foot spas but mainly relaxing in the tepidarium. Dinner in the Orangery was fine - not particularly good and expensive when you stray away from sandwiches/soups/salads. I would just stick to these rather than mains next time.

We sat in the library bar by an open fire for the rest of the evening and were given complimentary petit fours at the end of the night. Breakfast was delicious - excellent porridge and smoked haddock with poached egg. Then back to he spa for a few more hours of bliss before a late check-out.

Just as some people buy an old house with lots of character raher than a sterile new-build, not everyone will find Dalhousie to their taste. For the same money you could stay in a large, slick, polished, corporate, city centre, modern hotel. I'm not being critical of such establishments, the're just not our cup of tea. Those people who like that sort of hotel are liable to think Dalhousie fares badly in comparison. Yes the stairs creak a bit and yes it's a teeny bit delapidated compared to your average Edinburgh hotel of equivalent cost but that's all part of it's charm as far as we're concerned.

We came away more relaxed than we've been for ages and can't wait to get back.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed February 26, 2009

I've stayed a lot of luxury hotels and this is beautiful but truly needs to be updated. The rooms are very drab and the bathroom tiles had a lot of mold. Totally unacceptable for the prices they are charging. Lovely staff and food was amazing though. Would recommend maybe a night or two but save some money and stay in the lodge as there really isn't anything special about the castle rooms. Even the theme room my family was staying in had mold.

• Liked — the castle was really pretty and food was really good. in addition, the men in the library bar really are good fun..they know how to ham up the tourists!
  • Disliked — dirty, in need of an update.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank USA_NJ
Scotland
Reviewed February 25, 2009

A wonderful experience - superb location, atmosphere and food. Some of the rooms are a little jaded but this is of little importance when compared with the sheer grandeur of this hotel.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scottishcastles
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 19, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for one night on our way out of Scotland. He had really wanted to stay in a castle and this was the closest "real" castle I could find near Edinburgh.

The castle was only recently taken over by a new firm (according to our taxi driver) and you can tell they are trying to make improvements. The building itself of course is very old. There are no elevators so be prepared to walk up several flights of stairs. Thankfully there are porters to assit with bags.

The bathrooms are small but all new and well appointed with neccesities. The room we stayed in was themed and had a very cool bed with 4 posts and a canopy top. The carpeting in draperies could use an update but they were not horrible by any means.
The foyers and reception could also use some sprucing up but they were also fine.

We visited the spa which was small but nice - there is a small steamroom, sauna and small whirlpool tub. They also have a spa menu which we didn't have time to do.

We had a nice meal at the Orangery - an a la carte restaurant in the hotel. The restaurant area seemed new or recently renovated and was nice. The service was good and so was the food. Lighter and more to our liking than typical Scottish fare.

We did not want to deal with driving and parking in Edinburgh so we hired a taxi from the hotel which was quick and easy through the reception desk. They charge a flat rate of $18 each way and you can call to get the same taxi back. We figured we would lose both time getting lost and money trying to park ourselves. Our taxi driver was wonderful and acted as a tour guide on our way into town. The ride takes about 15-20 minutes depending on traffic.

There are many golf courses right near the hotel so if you are looking to golf this is probably a good central spot.

We also had drinks by the fire in the Library which we would strongly suggest as well.

My boyfriend and I tend to "spook" easily and both felt the castle could potentially be haunted. We had no major issues just some "hair-raising" moments. Don't let it scare you off though - it was probably just all in our head...

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SunSeekerMA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
Melville Castle
Broughton & Calton
Crowne Plaza Edinburgh - Royal Terrace
Cringletie House
#2 of 8 in Peebles

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!