We stayed at Dalhousie for two days in September 2008. Due to the VERY high price to stay in the castle itself, we stayed in "The Lodge".
Reception was a bit disorganized and not very helpful in finding "The Lodge" on the property. They also offered no help with luggage (and this is a 5-star place?) There is only room for 2 cars to park at "The Lodge" and 6 or 8 rooms. (?)
The Lodge is old and looks it. The carpet is worn and frayed in places and while the room was clean, it could use some up-dating. There are two flights of narrow and steep steps to the 2nd and 3rd floors of the Lodge. The bed was not very comfortable and seemed old, probably because they can't get newer more comforatable mattresses up those stairs easily.
The porter Angus was VERY kind and helpful as were the ladies who served at The Orangery Restaurant. The food was plentiful and well-done at both The Orangery and in the Dungeon. Actually the food was the best part of our experience.
The Falconry experience was a bit disappointing because the birds weren't cooperative the day we went, although the staff was very knowledgeable and friendly.
Non EU residents need to know that the hotel does NOT participate in the VAT tax "scheme" and will not supply forms for refunds. Don't believe the reception staff when they tell you the forms are at the airport.
While aspects of our experience at Dalhousie were wonderful I doubt we'd stay there or other of the company's properties again. While its a beautiful place and the food was great, we agreed that its not worth the price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel and Aqueous Spa is a magnificent 13th century fortress set within acres of wooded parkland on the picturesque banks of the River Esk. From the moment you arrive at Dalhousie Castle a warm Scottish welcome awaits. Whether relaxing in the the Spa, gathering in the library next to the open fire, dining in the vaulted 2 Rosette winning dungeon restaurant, or retiring to your chambers, you will always feel as welcome as the 'Laird'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Dalhousie Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dalhousie Castle Bonnyrigg
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel Bonnyrigg
- Castle Dalhousie
- Dalhousie Castle Scotland/Bonnyrigg