We married at Dalhousie this July and have mixed reviews on Dalhousie Castle, although it was still a wonderful wonderful day!
I'll start with the not so good stuff: In the run-up to the wedding we went on two occasions to see the castle and just get a feel for things. Mostly the service was okay but I was always a little doubtful that I'd have a relaxing "getting ready" morning at Dalhousie and sadly I was proven to be right to worry. The check in staff on the morning of the wedding were curt and unhelpful, and this seemed to reflect on most of the other staff who spent the morning sniping to each other! Frankly it was these staff who let Dalhousie down in my estimations.
The good stuff: The duty manager on the day who ran our wedding was brilliant .. Liz was competent, kind and generally the one person who held the wedding together!!
The piper was brilliant
The falconry display was different and well worth the money - all our guests were blown away by it!
I think the food was good, although I didn't manage to eat much (nerves!)
The Mary Queen of Scots room was wonderful - I felt like rapunzel getting ready in my turret!!
The wedding co-ordination could have been better handled, there were things I noticed that hadn't been handled correctly but no one else had a clue (only me!) so it wasn't all bad.
The pricing is a bit steep - we bought in our own wine and paid the corkage fee (which is also steep) and it was well worth it (Majestic at comiston do a good job!)
Other wedding related tips - Margaret at Bryans Farm Flowers in Dalkeith is a SUPERSTAR and I'd recommend her every day!!
We will be going back - if only to remind ourselves what a wonderful day we had. It was a shame to have had the hiccoughs in the morning as bad customer service can so easily be avoided really!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel and Aqueous Spa is a magnificent 13th century fortress set within acres of wooded parkland on the picturesque banks of the River Esk. From the moment you arrive at Dalhousie Castle a warm Scottish welcome awaits. Whether relaxing in the the Spa, gathering in the library next to the open fire, dining in the vaulted 2 Rosette winning dungeon restaurant, or retiring to your chambers, you will always feel as welcome as the 'Laird'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Dalhousie Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dalhousie Castle Bonnyrigg
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel Bonnyrigg
- Castle Dalhousie
- Dalhousie Castle Scotland/Bonnyrigg