I felt the need to write this review after seeing so many negative reviews about this lovely hotel. We have just returned from a weekend to celebrate our first wedding anniversary booked through a offer on secret escapes. The castle itself is of course beautiful and on check in the friendly and attentive desk clerk on hearing it was our anniversary automatically upgraded us to the Sir Walter Scott room, which had a beautiful four poster bed and view of the river and grounds. I have to admit the hotel is a little run down in places but it just adds to the whole shabby-chic feel of the place, however If you are used to sleek boutique city hotels, it may not be the place for you.The spa facilities were in excellent and in full working order and both days we had the place to ourselves, as the facilities are free to residents make sure you pack your swimming gear to make use of these.
We dined in the castle both nights and although the food was expensive it was excellent and the service was friendly, attentive and efficient, We even had a lovely breakfast in bed in our room for no extra charge. The grounds are really beautiful and if you bring your walking boots and head down the river you can spot squirrels and deer and we were even lucky enough to catch a glimpse of some otters !
If you are interested in the ghostly aspects of the hotel track down Peter the night porter, a truly amazing character who took us on a full guided tour of the castle at midnight for no charge. He also informed us the best rooms to experience bumps in the night are The William Wallace Suite and the Robert the Bruce room.
All told it was an amazing weekend that I would recommend to anyone, thank you Dalhousie!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel and Aqueous Spa is a magnificent 13th century fortress set within acres of wooded parkland on the picturesque banks of the River Esk. From the moment you arrive at Dalhousie Castle a warm Scottish welcome awaits. Whether relaxing in the the Spa, gathering in the library next to the open fire, dining in the vaulted 2 Rosette winning dungeon restaurant, or retiring to your chambers, you will always feel as welcome as the 'Laird'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Dalhousie Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dalhousie Castle Bonnyrigg
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel Bonnyrigg
- Castle Dalhousie
- Dalhousie Castle Scotland/Bonnyrigg